antivirus for windows server 2003

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, the small business Avast might be pretty good. It certainly would be lighter than many of the other alternatives, that's my problem here, trying to find something on the light side since my machine is a little older. The big boys like Symantec and McAfee are a bit heavy for me. Nod32 is good here so far, I'm just using an old trial of 2.7. Now you've got me interested in the Avast. I wonder if they have a trial for the server model?

Btw, just FYI, if you're thinking of trying SEP11 (Symantec Endpoint Protection), the Proactive Defense doesn't work on 2003 server (it disables itself), nor does the email scanner according to reports from other Wilders members. For those reasons I crossed that one off my list.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey,
    there is two server trials. one for the small business version which costs £25 a year and the other server version which costs £249 a year.
    just go to download,programs and find the relivent product.
    as default only standard shield is enabled. but you can start other shields if you wish such as,email,web,p2p etc.
    btw wasnt really gonna concider symantec lol. but now i have a proper reason not to use it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks Lodore, I will check out the Avast site tomorrow probably... the business version looks way more reasonable for sure...

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

no problem.
    you need to buy 5 licenses at £25 each dam it.

5. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Please note that the SBS Edition of avast actually only installs on Windows SB Server (not regular Windows Server).

Cheers
    Vlk

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

This might not be totally kosher, but there is probably something out there that will install in the XP compatibility mode, or by unpacking the installer with universal extractor and running the components. I have also heard of registry hacks that change the information identifying the operating system.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks vlk (and lodore also)....

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Blink Professional Edition works on server 2003 and costs $29 a license.
    gonna see if i can get student discount.
    sometimes seems to criple my machine. so not sure atm.
    loads of tweaking options avaliable.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.