Antivirus for Linux

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Football, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ok actually maybe u dont know but ther IS Linux based viruses, dont be so naive, nothing is 100%... :rolleyes: just cuz u werent infected doesnt mean its no possible.

2. tonyseeking

tonyseeking Former Poster

Name a single virus that caused havoc to Ubuntu, ever? Can you? name even ONE virus that could "infect and infilatrate" the ubuntu system files and the root password.

I await your reply with interest.

3. firzen771

simple google search can find u some, here's a small list:

Trojans

* Kaiten - Linux.Backdoor.Kaiten trojan horse[12]
    * Rexob - Linux.Backdoor.Rexob trojan[13]

Viruses

* Alaeda - Virus.Linux.Alaeda[14]
    * Bad Bunny - Perl.Badbunny[4][15]
    * Binom - Linux/Binom[16]
    * Bliss
    * Brundle[17]
    * Bukowski[18]
    * Diesel - Virus.Linux.Diesel.962[19]
    * Kagob a - Virus.Linux.Kagob.a[20]
    * Kagob b - Virus.Linux.Kagob.b[21]
    * MetaPHOR (also known as Simile)[22]
    * Nuxbee - Virus.Linux.Nuxbee.1403[23]
    * OSF.8759
    * Podloso - Linux.Podloso (The iPod virus)[24][25]
    * Rike - Virus.Linux.Rike.1627[26]
    * RST - Virus.Linux.RST.a[27]
    * Satyr - Virus.Linux.Satyr.a[28]
    * Staog
    * Vit - Virus.Linux.Vit.4096[29]
    * Winter - Virus.Linux.Winter.341[30]
    * Winux (also known as Lindose and PEElf)[31]
    * Wit virus[32]
    * ZipWorm - Virus.Linux.ZipWorm[33]

Worms

* Adm - Net-Worm.Linux.Adm[34]
    * Adore[35]
    * Cheese - Net-Worm.Linux.Cheese[36]
    * Devnull
    * Kork[37]
    * Linux/Lion
    * Mighty - Net-Worm.Linux.Mighty[38]
    * Millen - Linux.Millen.Worm[39]
    * Ramen worm
    * Slapper[40]
    * SSH Bruteforce[41]

4. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

More information about 'Kaiten':
    http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2006-021417-0144-99&tabid=1

More information about 'Rexob':
    http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2007-072612-1704-99&tabid=1

Not really an actual risk these two, like most Linux malware they're mainly proof-of-concept.

Looks you found your list on Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_computer_viruses

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  5. tlu

tlu Guest

Sure there is Linux malware. But please elaborate how they would be able to infect a Linux desktop system if you don't run it as root (who in the world would do that?) and if you only install software from the repositories. I'm afraid, Google won't help you in answering this question.

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

That's like saying Windows can never be infected if you don't run as administrator and install software only from well-known sites like Download.com and Softpedia.

7. tlu

tlu Guest

Well, that's exactly what I've been suggesting here for a long time. Doing this makes Windows much more secure, indeed :)

But the differences between Windows and Linux are:

1. Unix/Linux was constructed as a multi-user system from the beginning. Running it as a user is a breeze - you don't have to use such tools like SuRun etc. to make it work, and all software is written accordingly. No Linux user runs his system as root unless he is a complete fool but nearly all Windows users do.
    2. Under Linux you don't have to rely on 3rd party websites to install software. Rather, you have the official repositories that contain software for virtually all needs (the Ubuntu repos contain more than 20,000 packages) - all of them open source and always updated with the latest security patches. Only in very rare special cases you need software not contained in these repos.

Eice, I know that you have tried Linux - but (no offense meant) I'm not sure that you've understood the philosophy behind that OS.

8. firzen771

i was never implying that linux is easy to get infected or is a common thing, im just trying to prove to tonyseeking that it IS possible, even if its rare.

9. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, of course, with root privileges you can do anything you want - even infecting a Linux system ;)

10. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I'm not sure how it's any different from UAC: launch all processes with a low security token, and elevate to high - within the context of the same user account - when needed.

Admittedly it's due to my personal preference, but software in the repos were so badly out of date from the newest versions that I ended up with a handful of external repos and dozens of .deb files. Things in the Windows "repos" are at least kept up to date (just noticed Fx 3.5b4 is already on Download.com), or software can at least update themselves without being tied to the repos.

Had to go beyond the repos a few times as well for software that weren't found inside: Skype, Privoxy, etc.

Don't worry; it's an accurate assessment. :p As far as I'm concerned it's just another OS with different ways of doing things for me. Didn't really understand the whole "Linux Zen" or some such.

11. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, in Vista the situation has improved - unless UAC isn't deactivated as many people seem to do because they are irritated by all these popups they had never seen before in XP where they had always worked as admin.

This was discussed to death in the Unix subforum. On my Ubuntu Jaunty nothing is badly out of date. And I was talking about security patches.

Besides, there are launchpad repos, e.g., for FF 3.5 beta, and the closed-source Skype can be got from medibuntu if you want.

The Linux Zen consists primarily of these two cornerstones which are the main reasons why many Windows installations are infected:
    1. Don't run your computer as admin/root.
    2. Don't install unknown software from websites.

Windows can be made nearly as secure as Linux if you implement LUA/SRP, make sure that your system and your apps are always updated securitywise (via, e.g., Secunia PSI) and install only software from trustworthy sites.

So, yes - it can be done under Windows but it's much more laborious. And: What's the percentage of Windows users that really do that? Answer: tiny!

Result: Once properly setup, the maintenance of a Linux system is much easier compared to Windows.

12. Eice

Eice Registered Member

So, in other words, the problem is the users instead of the OS.

I wonder what would happen if those same users switched to Linux, got sick of dealing with sudo prompts, and ran as root instead as well.

And no good solution was found.

Considering how old Jaunty is, that's hardly a surprise. Take a look at Intrepid instead - just about everything except for Firefox is badly out of date. Give Jaunty a few months, and it'll become that way as well, because nothing's changed fundamentally. The same old restrictive update policies that cramp you at every opportunity are still there.

There's much more to computing than security, I'm afraid. There was a fix for Transmission sometime last December, for instance, that drastically solved the slow transfer speeds problem I was having. If Ubuntu had its way, I'd never have received that update until Jaunty was released a few days ago. Just one of the numerous examples.

Well, maybe that's why I never understood the Linux Zen. It's just simple common sense that applies to whichever OS you use, nothing special about it, and hardly specific to Linux at all.

Fixed.

Not for me, at least. I had to spend almost every step of the way fighting Ubuntu's stepped upgrade model.

13. tonyseeking

They have never been able to "live" on Ubuntu and infect the system.

You need to keep reading your google searches to get a better understanding.

Or visit #ubuntu on freenode and ask the Ubuntu and Linux developers and experts, and see how many giggles you get :argh:

But seeing you still have a windows mind-set even when using Linux, then to make yourself "feel better", then install rootkithunter and run that once per day :)

http://www.rootkit.nl/projects/rootkit_hunter.html

It's in the Ubuntu repos already... just install using "sudo apt-get install rkhunter".

But as mentioned, nothing can "live" in ubuntu and infect the system.

14. firzen771

im gunna say it again, im sure 99.99% of the malware wont work on linux , BUT NOTHINGGGGG is 100% perfect, NOTHING... im sure somebody has found holes in the past and it wont stop here, the more people that start using linux, the more it will be targeted and holes WILL be found and exploited ok... after all, it is humans who make linux and humans by nature cant be 100% perfect, so neither will the software they create, simple as that.

15. tonyseeking

A/V software is available for Linux and Ubuntu, however read this to understand why Linux does not have a virus problem:

http://librenix.com/?inode=21

Read it properly, in-depth, carefully and then learn about "root" and then stop this nonsense talk about virus' on Linux. Because, the reality is that there is no viable Linux virus.

The problem with you all is that you take your "windows mind-set" into Linux, but it's a different world all together. Learn more and talk less ;)

16. firzen771

omg nmv its hopeless, u seem to think the Linux developers are all knowing gods who know absolutely everything about computers and software and anything else, and will always know exactly whats going to happen before everyone else :rolleyes: i never said linux has a virus problem, its not a big issue for linux yes, but things are possible.

17. tonyseeking

They know millions of times more than you do ;) And they know what they talking about, you don't.

There is no linux virus, get used to it, swallow your pride pill and read, study linux and learn, and then stop all this nonsense about virus on linux.

And then you say "but things are possible.",, so my challenge to you is this... write or provide a single virus that can infect and take over a linux system.... Can you? if not, shut up and be silent ;)

18. Eice

Eice Registered Member

lol @ typical fanboy ignorance. For them, an article written all the way back in 2000 is the definitive source of knowledge for their beloved OS' security.

Here's a hint: today's typical social engineering trojan overcomes all the difficulties mentioned in the article, which is as outdated as your mentality.

19. firzen771

im not even going to respond anymore... im just in awe...:rolleyes:

20. tonyseeking

Prove it! :) Simple as that.. provide PROOF. Show me, or point me to a single trojan that can "live" and infect Ubuntu.

No more talk... time for action.

But I bet my house on it that you 1. Won't reply 2. Reply with excuses why you cannot provide me with the trojan that you claim can do this.

21. philby

philby Registered Member

Agreed.

It's like this forum - 99% of posters are not malicious and do not take hold of threads and choke them with their toxicity.

But it is possible, if you know what I mean...

philby ;)

22. firzen771

hahaha agreed ;)

23. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Sure, the same way you just sit back and chant "100% secure hurrah!" all day long. :D

It's unbelievable that you can sit back with your ludicrious claims and demand that other people do all the heavy lifting for you. Fanboys... :rolleyes:

Linux is an OS. It runs code. Nothing different than from Windows. And if the code is malicious, then poof it goes. Simple as that.

Get your own then, otherwise your parents are going to be pissed when they find out that their son who's still living in the basement with them just bet the house over the Internet with some strangers.

24. tonyseeking

LOL, exactly as I predicted. You weren't able to prove your comments and provide a single example of how Ubuntu could get infected.

I rest my case. You full of empty talk, no evidence :)

As I said, the reality is that there is no viable Linux virus. Thread Closed!

25. firzen771

LOL, and i have to agree with the first part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.