Antivirus for Android

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PC__Gamer, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

how many companys have one available?

is it worth it, and does it slow things down?

your thoughts please - as im getting an android phone next week or so.

:D

2. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

There aren't many . Symantec has recently expanded its products with security and back-up programs for mobile devices including Android ones.

Still in BETA - Norton Smartphone Security for Android
    http://www.symantec.com/norton/smartphone-security-android

I don't know what kind of user are you , where do you live but but I don't think that you must protect a mobile device with an antivirus like you protect your computer . AVs for Windows Mobile are more popular since WM OS is more popular . I had WM device and I couldn't find a way to infect it. I have used ESET Mobile and Kaspersky mobile programs for my WM and I find their features useless on such mobile device

3. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

4. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Hello. I don't think you will need an AV for Android. I have been researching this a bit for myself. It does feel a bit weird having no protection on the phone and you read that there are Android exploits 'out there'.

There is a great guide here for Android users. Essentially the biggest danger to the user is the downloading of rogue Apps. You have to pick and choose carefully, do a bit of research. When I got my new phone I was downloading all sorts of apps and trying them out. But the safest way to go is check out the user comments and take a look at established Android forums http://androidforums.com/ you can get good tips for which apps are safe and worthwhile downloading.

Just don't go downloading apps willy nilly and you should be safe. This advice should negate the need for an AV. Android OS should protect itself by sandboxing apps. Of course it might become exploitable one day. I think the need for an AV on your smartphone is an ongoing subject. Best to keep an eye on the situation - unfortunately.

Another thing: stay well clear of modding your phone (Rooting) unless you REALLY know what you're doing. This significantly increases the chances of your phone getting exploited by rogue Apps.

Why-not-everyone-should-root-their-android-phones

----​

5. icr

icr Registered Member

There is Security solution for Andriod users from Dr Web;)

6. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Well I'm on verison 1.X of Android and have only tested Dr.Web and Bluepoint Security(symantec will not run on my build).

- both seem to run ok.
    - Bluepoint is on-demand only and its scans rather quickly
    - Drweb has real-time scanning. It doesn't seem to slow my phone down while on and the on-demand scanning is quick. It is a beta and I did have the real-time scanner crash once when deleting an old app folder.

Keyboard_Commando has a good point about current malware for the android but, with the market and development so open I have a feeling that this will eventually change. My biggest concern are rogue apps on the market, which can be avoided by doing research like Keyboard_Commando stated.

- for the most part I only installed the AV's for play.

8. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

is norton on demand or real time?

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I'm guessing both.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/smartphone-security-android

It also has remote lock/wipe which it nice but my Moto phone already does this.

http://phandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/norton-security7.png

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Do you know if any of the AV's available for Android will scan for Windows malware. Reason I ask is because I use my know as a jump drive.

11. m0unds

m0unds Guest

i use lookout on my device. malware doesn't really worry me, but the additional features (backing up photos, contacts, calls & device location) are kinda handy.

they're working on a "genome project" for classifying applications on multiple platforms, analyzing risks to privacy, etc.

12. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

No I don't know. I figure the file size and data charges for updating could be fairly hefty though - a thorough list of Windows definitions to be stored and updated on the phone ... possibly just too much for smartphones?

It'd be interesting to know if PC AV's add definitions for smartphone viruses. I have scanned my microSD card a few times as I am plugging my phone in at least three different computers, so the risk of something lurking in the storage card exists from both PC & Smartphone together.

I haven't found a way to scan the Android OS from a PC - I don't think it exists as I imagine Android doesn't allow such access - It would be handy though if Windows based AV scanners could access the Android OS from your pc.

13. PC__Gamer

thanks, i may join that forum - it looks busy and full of the help and guides i may need.

my first android phone, scary! :)

but exciting all the same. o_O :eek: :p

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

You'll love it. :D

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

16. PC__Gamer

Hey guys, just got my new android phone and decided to give the drweb one a try as I saw it on the market.

Its very nicely laid out but its not free, its a 30 day trial.

However, its fast and don't notice it slowing anything down, will keep you posted. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.