Antivirus and SSD

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ReverseGear, May 31, 2017.

1. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

I want to share my experience of using a few antivirus on my system and their performance impact. I am not talking about protection or features , just the performance.

I have an i5 6600 , 16 GB ram , Samsung 850 250 GB evo SSD on Win 10 Enterprise LTSB.

Eset all 3 versions - No impact

Panda Free - No impact

Avira Free - Very long boot time , after that minimal impact

Emsisoft AV/IS - Lighter than avira , heavier than eset and panda , no boot impact

Avast Free - No boot impact, but a noticeable impact on opening apps

Kaspersky AV/IS - Heavier than emsisoft , lighter than avast , a little impact on boot

Sophos Home - Heavier than kaspersky , a small boot impact

WD - A noticeable impact on everything , from boot to opening of apps

Please note that these are my observations on my system , ymmv . What are your observations on your system with SSD ?

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Thnx for sharing.
    Personally I've used Eset and Emsisoft with almost no noticeable impact, Kaspersky with little impact and MSE with bigger impact on performance.

3. m0unds

m0unds Registered Member

I've used ESET, Emsisoft IS, Kaspersky, Webroot and haven't really noticed much of a system impact with any of those products.

4770k @ 4.8GHz, 32GB RAM, Win 10 x64, Sandisk 240GB Extreme SSD (OS + apps)

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

That is a very fast CPU so it's understandable that antivirus software isn't slowing down your system much. I've got an SSD in my main laptop, but only a 2nd generation i3 processor (your CPU is about four times faster), so in my case, some security software causes very noticable slowdowns,

5. imuade

imuade Registered Member

Comodo Firewall: no impact
    Comodo Internet Security: noticeable impact on everything, from boot to opening of apps
    Comodo Cloud AV: longer boot time, after that no impact

I'm using a MSI Cubi with a core i3 5005u CPU, 12Gb of RAM and a Transcend SSD 128GB

6. kaljukass

kaljukass Registered Member

Strange, why such kind of nonsense is needed?

7. imuade

imuade Registered Member

This is a forum, so users tend to share their experience... if you don't like it, you can just cancel your account... :isay:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  8. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I tried;

WD: Same as you, plus I'd add "will make Windows bug out" as well.
    KAV: No noticeable impact after initial full scan, it's actually the one that has the least amount of impact.
    ESET: Slower file access after initial full scan - Just opening up Fraps for instance can take forever.
    Trend Micro: Same as ESET but the UI was slow and unresponsive.
    AVG/AVAST: Privacy nightmare.

I settled for Kaspersky, but it seems Kaspersky ignores adware/PUP, so I won't be renewing it again.

That's with an FX-8350 processor which is soon going to be replaced by a Ryzen processor so I can get some native USB 3.1 going.

Attached Files:

9. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

If you dig deeply, the option to block PUPs (although its named differently) is there, I think it's called prevent harmful programs or something like that. I'll confirm again if I install KAV later

10. Spartan

If you don't have anything constructive to say, then you don't HAVE to post! don't like the thread, go elsewhere!

11. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Pretty sure it's already enabled, unless I somehow missed it in another setting somewhere.

Attached Files:

12. Spartan

oh yes, so that option isn't blocking PUPs? What a shame

13. roger_m

I just think Kaspersky (like the majority of antiviruses) does badly at detecting PUPs.

14. Spartan

so what detects PUPs no? only ESET and EAM?

15. roger_m

Dr Web, does much better than any other antivirus in my experience.

16. Spartan

Never heard of it before.

Why is it not tested on AV Comparatives?

What engine does it use?

Is it light or heavy?

17. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

i7/6 gen.@4.0 GHz/16gb DDR4 dual channel RAM/117gb Samsung SSD main drive 75% free W10 Pro.

AVG paid: great detections but like a lite syrup on here
    KIS: a little slow at startup, didn't like other security software with it, but it had a nice safe feel. :)
    W10Sec: PUP det. enabled via registry edit, the only one that doesn't impact performance at all..:cautious:
    EIS: My AV of choice but too many subtle issues, a few too many errors in EV than without it, apps take relatively longer to launch, slight startup delay. I have to use Emsiclean every time to uninstall, it doesn't uninstall cleanly for me. Recently, Windows booted to a black screen with EIS, but restarted normally. I had beta update feeds, though I took it off but will probably try it again some time with reg. feed. ..
    Bitdefender 2016: Wasn't compatible with HMPA at the time, didn't like the desktop gadget or the chatty-ness. Overall machine performance was better without it, though a quick scan was 1.6 sec on here. .

18. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Everyone is having similar kind of performance. So eset , emsisoft and kaspersky are good performers atleast for us. @plat1098 is lucky to have WD perform without any performance hit

19. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Most products perform pretty well at this point until you open a web browser. SSDs don't seem to help that much. Web scanners are slow and the better ones are slower.

20. imuade

imuade Registered Member

I think the best practice for web security is to use a browser add-on, such as ublock origin, which can block both ads and malicious websites

21. roger_m

It's a fairly well known antivirus from Russia and it was first released (for DOS) is 1992.
    I think it has been tested in the past.
    It uses its own engine.

It's probably best if you download a trial version and try it for yourself, as performance for any antivirus will vary greatly from one computer to the next.

22. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

First I thought you meant ESET Internet Security. You might want to use a full vendor name to avoid confusion :)

23. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I can confirm findings for both Avira and Avast, with the mention that on my computer Avast Free has an impact on opening applications but it is pretty small (somewhere around 10-15% when measured with AppTimer).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.