AntiVir won't be so ugly anymore! :D

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Non incrimental updates -> big updates -> heavy load on update servers -> slow downloading of updates -> cannot have auto updating system because there would be even more load on servers and here we have a full never ending circle... Also they should give some more attention to interface look. I mean adding XP visual themes support doesn't increase memory usage and makes a big difference :rolleyes: I did and i encountered several interface bugs because it was not meant to render with XP themes,but where it did worked fine it looked like totaly different AV. Without them it looks like program that escaped from Windows 3.1 environment not a year 2004 program...

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Where can I download this file?

Thanks

3. taurusivy

taurusivy Registered Member

it does look better now :D :D :D :D

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Forget this...

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Hm,well i tried AntiVir today,but damn thing locked up my system.
    So there will be a small delay for this pack. Last one was discontinued because it had some bugs.

6. minacross

minacross Registered Member

What about Win98/ME Rejzor? any plans to support it? :rolleyes:

7. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:rolleyes: I Think, I have just read on the AntiVir BB, that they have made massive improvements to their servers.

Still do not plan to use AntiVir/PE at present, but if what I read is indeed true, then perhaps H+BEDV (parent company) is at long last getting it's act together. I wait for many many replies in this area before I make final judgment.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :ninja:

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

That's good news. Even so, I have never experienced a delay updating AVPE since I began downloading updates between 1PM to 4PM Hawaii time (daytime in Hawaii is night in Europe, & vice versa.)

Speaking of slow downloads: yesterday I downloaded a trial version of Kingsoft -- a Chinese AV. The best connection I could find (they have 3 servers) averaged a blazing 3Kbps. :eek:

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I belive i mentioned this alreday. My Visual Enhancement pack relies on Windows XP Themes. And as far as i know Win98/Me doesn't support them in any form (WindowBlinds excluded which are not compatible anyway).

10. cky

cky Registered Member

To a certain extend, the more beautiful of the software, the more resource is needed.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well not exactly. My Visual patch doesn't add any extra memory usage at all.
    The whole thing is that AntiVir hooks with Windows XP Themes system for its menus. I don't know why H+BEDB cannot do this since its a very easy thing to do. They should just fix menu colors so there won't be any bugs (as encountered in my pack) and they'll have a impact free visual enhancement for Windows XP environment.

12. Technical

Technical Registered Member

My experience is the same... But, not that trouble: you can ingore three or four files (generally .doc with false macro viruses detected).
    It's a good 'second' opinion (on-demand) scanning :cool:

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well i like its heuristics. I think its the only free product that offers full Win32 heuristics. Looks like they also fixed servers a bit.
    I managed to get it working,so visual pack will be on the way soon.

14. Technical

No doubt. They improving the detection.
    Sad that Alwil do not think to add Heuristics to avast. :(

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Not to version 4.x because they would have to rewrite whole engine.
    avast! 5.x will most probably have them.

16. Technical

Maybe you're better informed... I think not. As far they told me and, sometimes, post in the forum. On-access heuristics is not on Alwil's plans for a near future.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I think Pavel or Vlk said that they don't plan Standard Shield heuristics for version 4.x, thats for sure. But they are not sure for avast! 5.x which is still far away.

18. westwind

westwind Registered Member

nice one,except the icons

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.