antivir suite+ prevx1

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by lodore, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi, i have finally decided what av to get and it will be the antivir suite.
    I think for HIPS i will probably get prevx1. im guessing that is enough running real time?

atm for on demand scanners i use the following.
    kaspersky online scan
    A squared free
    spy sweeper.
    but i will probably not renew spy sweeper.
    so i need to know what other free on demand scanners should i try?

thanks in advance
    lodore

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

lodore,

If you are going for AntiVir Suite + Prevx1, my personal recommendation would be to use the KAV online scan as a very occasional reality check and call it a day. Almost everything else can be handled with active control of cookies at the browser level and running a broad ranging temp file cleanup application such as CCleaner (among others). If you really need the comfort of a locally installed and available demand scanner, try Ewido and let it lapse into free mode.

Blue

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok thanks. i was trying to limit my apps anyway.

and im gonna put antivir suite on max settings when i get it.

ive just worked out that f-secure uses 18 processes. spy sweeper uses 2 which makes 20.
    so 81-20=61

antivir uses 3, prevx1 uses 2 61+6=66
    atm when at boottime it is 75 but when ive loaded sonic stage,firefox and msn its up to 81. so at max with new setup should be 66 processes.

which seems quite nice.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Iodore,
    Advice for Prevx1 :
    1. Click on Advanced / Protection Plus : Unknown Programs
    Choose "Block" or at least "Query".
    This will block any program, that isn't listed in the Community Database as good or bad.
    Even when the Community Database isn't available, the program will be considered as "unknown".

2. Click on Preferences : Block "Caution" programs
    Choose "Enable" or at least "Query"
    These are programs between "good" and "bad", in other words "bad".
    Never give the bad guys an inch. Grey doesn't exist in programs, it's white or black.

3. The rest of the bad programs will be blocked via the Community Database.
    Blocking means "NO INSTALLATION" and that is the very best protection you can get.

The combination of all three should prevent any installation of malware and that makes it foolproof in theory. Is it true in practice ? Time will prove. :D

5. BlueZannetti

The default action for both (1) and (2) is Query, which is the most appropriate setting for typical users.

Blue

6. ErikAlbert

"Query" makes it possible to say "yes" or "no" and that creates the possibility of wrong yesses and no's. "Block" is IMO safer.

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah that sounds like a good real time combo. Throw in whatever on demand scanners you like, a2, avg as, sas etc....

Once a week i download and run the free mcafee on demand av program and do an on demand scan with ad-aware and avg as.

8. BlueZannetti

ErikAlbert,

At some point a user must take some level of responsibility in the process. An automatic block can be problematic in the new release of an application. Having any and all malware handled in a completely efficient behind the scenes fashion with no user intervention of any sort is not a realistic goal in most cases. I can see having automatic blocks set on a business or public PC, but if you're installing a new application which is unknown to Prevx1, having it continually kill the install could get a tad frustrating if you don't stop to think what is going on, or if you don't realize it since this could be a family/multiuser machine.

In part, this comes down to operating philosophy - should one plan for each and every exception that is possible in principle or for the norm? For myself - I plan for the norm and handle the exception when it appears.

Blue

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks for the help. once i get prevx1 which i will get in December with antivir suite or if not before for both of em.

i picked that combo because both products work well and are getting better all the time.

10. ErikAlbert

At work, I would block unknown and caution programs, because users aren't allowed to install new programs.
    That's why I'm missing a password in Prevx1, like in Anti-Executable to prevent unauthorized changes in settings.
    I wouldn't make the password mandatory in Prevx1, just a setting that allows the user to use a password or not.

At home, it's a personal choice and that is an endless discussion.

11. BlueZannetti

Exactly right on both counts :)

Blue

12. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Well, Prevx1 has password protection they way you want it....check the preferences tab

13. ErikAlbert

Damn me, I missed that one, I'm getting old. Thanks alot. :)

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lodore,

I know you have tried a BUNCH of anti-malware applications.
    I don't recall if you have actually trialed the Avira suite. I don't think you have trialed the beta suite, or am I incorrect?

Best,
    Jerry

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

You would sure think he has.:rolleyes:

16. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

You could add the free scanners-AVG Antispyware,A-Squared,SAS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.