Antivir still rises to the top.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  2. shek

shek Registered Member

antivir doesn't have this feature. But according to Stefan, avira is working on it.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

wait till you see what they are doing, and are going to do with their firewall. I think all will be impressed.:)

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hey as long as they are working on http scanner that is fine with me.

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Have any idea what the cost may be for the Avira Suite?

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

no one seems to know atm. theres a discussion on the beta forums but no official price yet.

7. the Tester

I'm thinking that an Avira suite may be a good replacement for the people that use NIS.I know plenty of NIS users that would migrate,especially if the price is cheaper.:cool:

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

cool. i think antivir is suited to everyone. simple interface that anyone can use.

I got it on my sister laptop and she loves it lol.

I like kaspersky but i also like antivir.

the thing is i like kaspersky's scan new and changed files because i can then run scans and will take less than 10minutes.

but on the other hand antivir's scanning is really fast and should never slow me down not even in real time on max settings.

antivir the newbie friendly nod32 lol. but also nice for everyone

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

The impression I am getting that holding the price down is the way they want to go. It will make sense to have a top suite at a price that will entice folks to want to switch.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, can u post screenshot of processes and memory( physical and virtual) use of Avira suite?
    Thanks.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well I dumped everything and am going to go with just the Antivir suite. It is time to see how it does on its own, and for those loners who only want one product. We shall see.:D

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I'm considering trying the beta suite when the trial of the Workstation expires.
    I have downloaded it, but do not understand German, and I hope there is an option to use English when it is installed.

I would be very interested in your experience if you try it. I have not used any suite in the past.

Best,
    Jerry

13. the Tester

I take it that the firewall is something developed by Avira?
    I'd be curious to know how that part of the suite performs.That would be the only area of concern for me.

14. the Tester

Hey Jerry,

Regarding the language I found this on the Avira Beta Products page.
    "For the time being the beta kit is only available in an english language version."
    This is in reference to the Avira AntiVir Personal Premium edition with Firewall.

15. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'm using Antivir Premium with Firewall right now. As we know, the AV is great, and will be even better without as many false positives. The firewall seems pretty good, but I'm glad they are doing more with it. Maybe in the future, it will pass more leak tests and have more attack signatures.

16. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Same here JerryM. I've been running Kav for about a year and a half. I've trialed all the antiviruses you have mentioned above plus dozens more. My favorite by far is Kav. It runs good on my system, and is the only antivirus that has caught everything I can throw at it. I can't say the same about the others. Boclean was having to mop up after a lot of these antiviruses I tried. They would miss a trojan, and Boclean would get it. Kav is a whole different story, it hasn't missed anything.

However, my second favorite antivirus is Avira. It runs good on my system and has good detection. I do run Boclean with it, just as I do with Kav. F-secure is another tremendous antivirus as well as Bitdefender. However niether one run well on my system. I do look at the various tests to keep up with how good all the antiviruses are in detection. However, if you want to really see how good they are. Take them to the dark side of the web. That's what I do.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I like kav as well but the other day when the bases went corropt i was very disapointed. I cant beliveve they send out such a bad update making tons of people at risk. this is not a nag at kaspersky and i know it could happern to any antivir vendor. but they should put something in so it doesnt happern again. so the program checks to see if the update is a good update or if it will corropt the bases.

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

That has been disconcerting, but I think it is fixed now. I hope so anyway. Not sure how the update could have been so bad.

he Tester,

Here is the link for the English version.
    http://betatest.avira.com/beta/mainpage.php?action=downloads&lang=en

I am going to download that one, and remove the German download from my D/L folder.

Regards,
    Jerry

19. the Tester

Thanks Jerry,

But I'm not much for using suites.
    I will wait for feedback on the firewall before I decide whether or not to try it.
    The firewall would have to be very good to persuade me to uninstall Comodo.;)

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

light suites seem to be the thing atm. antivir coming out soon and avg come out today

21. the Tester

Yep.
    More suite programs is not neccessarily a bad thing.
    I'm thinking the weak component may be the firewall.If there is a weak spot in a suite.
    Kaspersky's AntiHacker firewall had a rough start when it first came out.
    So a good a/v doesn't neccessarily mean the firewall will start out being the same calibre.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ive heard alot of good things about the antivir firewall. but dono about the avg one.

23. the Tester

What is the renewal fee for AntiVir Premium?
    Is it at a discounted rate like most a/v software?

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I do not think there is a reduction in price for renewal.:(

Best,
    Jerry

25. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

No need for angry or sad smilies... The twenty euros are by far the cheapest in the paid industry. And from that even five euros go to the good cause.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.