AntiVir Rescue System

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Someone, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I've heard from someone that AntiVir Rescue System should not be recommended because it renames files that cannot be disinfected so you have big chances of getting your system unbootable.

Is this true?

Thanks

2. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

The F Secure Rescue CD does the same. It will only become unbootable if a virus as attached itself to a system file.

Im not sure if you can actually use a windows cd and repair windows if a system file has been renamed.

3. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Yes, it's true. I generally do a run thru and let it report what it finds (as usual...nothing...also you can save a copy of that report to a floppy should you wish). I switched to Avira Rescue CD from Dr. Web's Cure-It mainly because it has higher detection rates and it's portable (just write it to a CDRW disc and I can scan any of my families computer with confidence when we visit). I'm watching Kav's rescue disc development with interest (the latest beta version was released June 27th), but I'm still having trouble with it, though.

Later....

P.S.
    If you're from the U.S. then have a good 4th of July tomorrow everyone.

4. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

The Fsecure CD has the old KAV engine in it so I think the only difference would be heuristics.

5. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

So the chances of a system being unbootable is quite small?

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.