Antivir Problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by minacross, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Oh I noticed, which is why I migrated a few machines to AntiVir, and paid for the premium edition. It just so happened around the same time some serious shortcomings in VBA32 showed up, which made the switch very easy.

Overall, I am absolutely happy with Antivir after about a week or so of running Premium. Also, the fast response from some new threats I submitted is most noteworthy.

The only complaint now, a recentl update now flags almost every piece of shareware I download as ADSPY/SystemDoc.A.1.. Stuff I *KNOW* is safe, but you can see an example of it here:

http://www.battlefront.com/products/dropteam/demo.html

Or for example, patches to many of my favorite games are now being flagged.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_14110.shtml

Just a small "Bump" in an otherwise excellent road so far with AntiVir. Hopefully these FP's will be resolved in an update sooner, rather than later. :thumb:

2. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Problem fixed already.

That was fast.

3. shek

shek Registered Member

4. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

My Antivir crashed during the big update.

Whats the currect version number? Mine is: 6.34.01.206 and I cannot force it to manually update to 6.35 due to some error.

Might have to reinstall I guess.. I have to say Antivir's only major weakspot is this updater.

5. shek

shek Registered Member

6. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

My antivir premium crashed during the update too.Restarted and downloading as we speak at an incredible 2kb/sec thats gonna take 88 minutes apparently 0n 1meg bb.Hope the crash isnt anything to go by.
    ellison

7. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

I was forced to reinstall, downloaded the update at a whopping 11kb/s on a 10MB connection.

Not too happy about that.

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Take a look at the exclusive servers, in the evening, on dial-up :blink: :(

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  9. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

WhOOPS....lol.......Well if its any consolation Blackcat ,it wasnt that much better on broadband.Mines installed ok now ,doesnt seem to be any probs at present.Hope yours is ok too.Looking at that dl speed maybe youd better tell me tommorrow..;)
    ellison

10. shek

shek Registered Member

I will upgrade my antivir7 as soon as i get home. But i just try to download the whole installation package through freeav.com. The speed is about 10kb/s. :thumbd: :mad: It's 10 times faster than Blackcat's.:p

11. Blackcat

I'd say the week-end :eek: :p :D

Spoke too soon. I am up to 2kB/sec now :D

12. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Seems the "Premium" servers aren't so premium.. :D

Anyway, I like the product, just a small roadbump. As long as the road bumps don't continue, I will use it. Its USUALLY when there are a succession of them, or crippling security issues, when I change products.

Like Stormbyte going out of business, KAV stream conflicts, or VBA32 missing 50% +/- files on-access kind of thing.. Update issues as long as they aren't a plague, I can handle.

13. Blackcat

I am a little more concerned as I am restricted to dial-up here. It seems like they always have problems when a LARGE update is needed. At the present time, I am a little disappointed with these exclusive Servers of the Premium edition. They ALWAYS seem to have problems with their Servers during these upgrades. The slowest I have ever used!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, most of my licensed AV's seem to have had problems recently so maybe its time to reload NOD!

14. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Blackcat, that is strange, I just checked the Premium server load and the servers are not at 100% load. So that is not the reason why you only got such slow updating speed.

15. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

I am starting to "Notch" consistency up on my list of most important things with an AV.. Especially as of late, with a plethora of issues from so many AV's.

Maybe Norton is my answer? :blink: :blink:

16. Blackcat

Stefan, as you see I am slowly getting there :D

BUT it will be a pain if I have to go through this long procedure with every major update. Now it has just crashed near the end of the update :mad: :thumbd:

Time for bed!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  17. .....

..... Registered Member

Yup.. updater kept crashing here too... ending up doing a manul update. :doubt:

18. shek

shek Registered Member

I tried four times before finished the upgrade. The last attempt took about 20minutes. NO crash happened. Now all is well.

19. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Just did it on the Hilton's WiFi in just over eight minutes total, at 0155Z or about 3AM German time.

I see that Avgnt.exe's RAM use is back down to 6,320K now.

20. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Someone got a screenshot of that crash? Or does the updater just interrupts (because of lost connection)?

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Wow, your servers are really in completelly stopped state. I just can't update antivir. At all. And thats since 1:00 CET time (yeah 1 in the morning). This sux.

22. Blackcat

RejZoR, is this with the Classic Servers?

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yes...
    avast! and AVG are also free but they update in the blink of an eye. Always.
    Now it's really dissapointing for free program, but it's nothing compared to your problem. They shoul seriously check their entire updating subsystem, because it's a real mess.

24. minacross

minacross Registered Member

Stefan,
    regarding the memory usage problem, it's now fixed. Thanks.

Attached Files:

25. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Got the 'big' one at about 3AM CET (in eight minutes total, from 'Start... to Stop...) and then waited 12 minutes for a server just past noon CET for a 3vdf, so they are still busy.:D {Classic free version}

Got to remember that it has been nearly three months since the last 'big' Update and the 15 March one was half the size of this one.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.