AntiVir Personal Edition Classic

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by musicman, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Before i started using AV i had AVG7, which never let me down on the virus front. It did always seem to go pear shaped when an engine update occurred, requiring a complete uninstall and new install to fix it.

With AV i havn't experienced any problems whatsoever, and the detection rates seem to beat AVG. Also the heuristics appear to be very good too. The recent WMF incident bore this out, catching everything that was presented to it.

The previous slow updates are now a thing of the past for me, and now they are incremental which is great for us, and must be much less of a strain on their servers, so good for them too.They should have done it a long time ago, as some people would still be using it, especially now everythings very much improved.

I don't suffer any issues running it on 98SE, nor do others that i know. I would recommend it to anyone.

StevieO

2. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I don't know what "AV" you mean, but if its the same AV as the title thread "AntiVir" then it had its share of problems with the "WMF incident"

AntiVir missed plenty according to published test, even though it did beat AVG.

3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Yeah, it missed the same as Kaspersky - The day after it had 100% protection.

4. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

5. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Dont know, Kaspersky never did get 100% - Well they did after a couple of patches, so I don't know where your getting at.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread topic.

7. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:rolleyes: O.k., why does this product seem to be so slow in developing? Why does it seem to take the company behind AntiVir longer than any of the others to accomplish anything beyond keeping the product somewhat updated? Why is the "paid" version not more easily obtainable worldwide? Why is it always the same individuals who toot it's praise, and dang few new individuals? Why does it appear that AntiVir has more problem inquires on the various forums than do any of the other "free" virus protection programs? I am not wearing blinders, and I look at more than just the products so called protection capabilities. I was once a supporter of this product, but I woke up and smelled the coffee!

Thanks
    Wildman
    :blink: :shifty: :gack: o_O :isay:

8. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Dear wildman,

I don't know if you've actually tried the version i talked about earlier on ? The Free version that does incremental updates etc.

Because if you did i'm sure that you would feel differently, and not just about the product !

In a similar way that you seem to feel justified in dissing the version of Antivir that you used, i feel quite justified in continuing to praise this version that has proved to very reliable in very many ways, to a number of people i know, as well as myself.

Take it easy,

StevieO

9. wildman

o_O Now I am confused. I thought that the only incremental updating was with version 7.0, and that was still a "BETA" and not yet released. So what is the story? I never, repeat never could find a good time in which to obtain the updates for AntiVir. Remember I use dial up and do all manual updating. I now have no such problems with the six security related programs that I am using, all of them "freeware".

Thanks
    Wildman
    :blink: :gack: o_O

10. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi Wildman,

You're confused lol

All i can say is that after the uninstall of the earlier 6 version, which was only a few months old anyway, on the one i have in my screen shot, the updates are usually less than a tenth of the size compared to before, sometimes a lot less than this.

As i said, either i've got a version that shouldn't be out yet, or i don't know what ! But everythings working fine and smoothly, and it really does detect and remove viruses etc, as recently as yesterday with some things i DL on purpose.

If i was you, i might be intrigued enough to try it again. Please make a careful note of the version and engine number etc in my screen shot, for comparison if you do so. It would be interesting to compare notes on this, even though i'm not on dial up, the updates are still shorter and smaller than before.

StevieO

11. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

Nope, incremental updates came out of beta with the 6.32 release a few months back. Updates are almost always fast and small for me now. ;)

12. StevieO

StevieO Guest

I must point an error i made yesterday, which could otherwise confuse !

I said in my last post "the updates are usually less than a tenth of the size compared to before, sometimes a lot less than this."

I missed out a zero having a look at the DL size bytes and calculating very quickly in my head. It should read.

A 100th of the size etc, NOT a tenth.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

That will make an enormous difference to people generally , but especially those on dial up, like our friend Wildman !

hbkh

Thanks for the confirmation, so i'm not going mad then lol, it is true !

StevieO

13. wildman

:D Currently I am using AVG "free" as one of my six security related software programs. I have no problems with it and the updates are fairly fast and small in size. I may, repeat may give AntiVir one more chance after version 7.0 is released and has been running for a while. This however would be my last attempt at even thinking about using this one again, and if it proves to have been nothing but hype, you thought I was bad before, it will have been nothing in comparison to what I will become.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :ninja: :isay:

14. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

Speaking from a cosmetic and functional point of view, version 7 is a HUGE improvement! The interface was overhauled and the scheduler and updater were intergrated into the main program, instead of being seperate. ;)

15. wildman

:blink: Do you have any idea of when it will be released and out of "BETA". This was supposed to have happened already, but typical for H+BEDV they are once again late. These seemingly little things are what accumulate and make me say what I do about this company, but all of you keep saying how great a product it is, so perhaps, just perhaps I will give them one last Chance.

Thanks
    Wildman

16. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

January 16th or 17th last I heard. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.