AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Setup !!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Hard Rocker, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

Hi, :)

Can anyone help me with the configuring of AntiVir during the installation phase so that it does not cause any conflict with my main AV ?

I would like AntiVir to function the same way BitDefender does ..... scanning with deletion of malware capabilities, and also the ability to update the virus definitions online. Is this possible ?

I have tried the install once ..... unchecking the enable guard option, but leaving the install services option checked. The installation process hung up on the screen for several minutes
    so I aborted the install. o_O

HR :cool:

2. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi Hard Rocker,

Take a look at my experiences using 2 AV's together, with AntiVir plus AVG7 in a thread i posted yesterday. You might be able to find a way to use both at once as i am at the moment !

I'll be interested to learn how it goes, and if you can get them to them play alongside each other.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=92784

StevieO

3. Hard Rocker

:) Hi StevieO,

Thanks for replying & I did read your posting previously. For myself, personally however, I would prefer to have AntiVir function as I mentioned above .... if this is at all possible.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hard Rocker

It could be your main antivirus is conflicting with AntiVir. Would you care to say what your other antivirus is?
    It could also be some other security program causing the install issue.
    I tried AntiVir with the guard disabled and all other services running and did not have a problem.

5. Hard Rocker

Hi Ronjor, :)

I'm using Norton AntiVirus & Firewall presently. Also worthy of mention, would be that I had no trouble when I previously installed BitDefender.

Thanks,
    HR

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Not sure what would cause that hang. It does mention you should be the administrator or have administrator rights.
    Some antivirus programs don't get along on the same computer and yet, many do.
    Have you tried shutting down the real time monitor on Norton while installing?

7. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

What you want to achieve is easy with AntiVir.

I would first disable Norton's Auto Protect feature and then install in the usual way; being sure to uncheck the enable Guard option. Do install using an account with full Administrator rights - not a user account with Admin priviledges (which is not the same thing).

After install you will have a system scan start up, but you can abort that if you wish.

There are two Services you need to set to 'disabled' (but you do this AFTER install), namely the AntiVir Service for realtime protection (AVGuard.exe) and the AntiVir Update Service (AVWUpSrv.exe). Note that this latter is only used for updating from an account which is not 'full' administrator.

So long as you update from a full administrator account, you will have a demand scanner with no processes running in the background. It will not conflict with Norton when you turn 'auto-protect' back on - but it would be better to do your demand scans with Norton disabled.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  8. Hard Rocker

Thanks Guys, :D

I will follow these steps .... but first disable Norton Auto Protect.
    Firstly though I will set a new System Restore Point .... just in case !! :rolleyes:
    I'll try later on today .... and post back to let you know what happens.

Take it easy,
    HR

9. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi,

I wonder if you and others may be able to do it the other way round.

If having tried, AV (1) running on guard with AV (2) on demand, and that doesn't work, then try reversing the 2 AV's prioritys. And see if that enables you to run both as i have managed to !

StevieO

10. Hard Rocker

Hi, :'(

Pretty much the same results as before.

What happens is a small rectangular panel appears with the heading .... Setup for AntiVir for Windows.

That panel then freezes on the screen stating .... Updating AntiVir Services to C\Documents\Locals 1\Temp .... etc.

I let the screen sit for close to 30 min. before having to reset the PC by the control tower. There were some folders in C\Program Files but they were empty. In the Documents & Settings\Local Settings\Temp there were many files related to the AntiVir Program.

I performed a System Restore at this point just to be safe.

HR

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would say there is still a conflict with a program you have running. Do you have several anti-malware apps running realtime?

I'll mention also, if you get AntiVir on your computer and decide to uninstall it, it cleans up after itself very well.

12. Hard Rocker

Hi Ronjor,

Yes I do .... Trojan Hunter, A2, (Guards Enabled), CounterSpy, and Giant. I'm also using SWB & WinPatrol .... but I don't think they would be the problem. o_O

I'll check back in later.

Thanks Again !! :D
    HR

13. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

You must make sure your Temp Internet Files are cleaned out before you install (this is MOST important). So run disk cleanup manager by clicking Start/Run and typing 'cleanmgr' (without the quotes) and click OK.

You should also clear out your windows temp files, follow this tutorial:- http://personal-computer-tutor.com/deletingtempfiles.htm

Now you should D/L a fresh copy of AntiVir (ie avwinsfx.exe). You should not use a download manager to do this and you should ensure it fully and completely downloads.

Make sure you are using a full admin account to install.

Make sure ALL your security progs (including FW) are disabled during install.

During the install you should remove the checkmark in front of "only new files" and "enable Guard" - but leave the other two, ie Updater & shell-extension.

Then try and install, if that fails you may have to install in safe mode.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  14. Hard Rocker

:D Success Finally !!

You were absolutely right Ron .... once I disabled both the A2 & TH Guards AntiVir installed immediately.

This was the first time I ever had a problem of this nature.

Thanks to both you and TopperID are in order. :D

Take it easy guys !!!

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Good to hear HR. [​IMG] :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.