Antivir PE vs AOL AVS

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by duke1959, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

i understand that. But that makes me wonder what is it so hard to cleanly remove everything from the system? Are there any technical limitation?

2. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I looked in Hardware Device Manager, and clicked view hidden devices nothing there. Remember also AVG Free has been running fine. As far as uninstallation of AVS it uninstalls quite well. There is hardly anything left over after RegSeeker scan, and actually less left overs than after removing Antivir which also uninstalls very well. I like the speed my PC had when I originally had Antivir installed and now with AVG, but I may just reinstall AVS since it has Spyware Detection and Protection, Self Protection, fast unobtrusive updates, a variety of automatic scan options which I liked, and in the three times I used it now, (I know this is crazy) it never caused one problem with my PC other than maybe a slight slowdown that to be honest I don't notice that much after awhile. I'll install it again as I don't want to take the chance that Antivir will cause the same problem for me it did before, and although I made my piece with AVG Free being safe enough to use, it seems sometimes people helping out in the AVG Free Forum can get a little rude, unlike Kaspersky's Forum. (And of course Wilders) Take care and thanks for all the replies, but it's time for me to settle on an Antivirus and AVS seems like the clear winner so far at least for me.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  3. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

It has always seemed to be a common problem that 'un-install' of a program will leave files behind. I used to rely on CleanSweep™ but have found that especially with WinXP, that it will often just 'Sweep' most of your desktop for you; anyone know of a reliable 'install monitor' (or method) that will help in removal without causing problems?

I see that for ZoneAlarm (for example) you can just add a command, (a space after the "*.-uninstall.exe /clean") and that space /clean causes a complete removal,
    will this [ /clean] switch apply to other (uninstall).exe's as well?

Would it be advisable to run an Add/Remove Uninstall while in 'Safe' mode?

Could it be that the 'offending files' are not removed by the un-installer because they are "in-use" and with 'Safe' mode loading a minimum of files, that it might help?

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

If it's possible then safemode uninstall is (at least often) a better option, but for example the MSI installer doesn't support this.

I use Total Uninstall for this, it has save me many times trialing obscure programs or other AV's & FW's.

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Good question actually. I don't think it's just limited to making a good uninstaller, other things are factors too...like how many programs are running at the time of removal, have you rebooted or is it a pc which is never rebooted, all i know is that a safemode uninstall (if possible) has always been a success for me.:)

6. duke1959

Hello. Reinstalled AOL AVS around 10 A.M this morning and speed of PC seems fine, plus it has already updated twice since the install and without having to do anything special so it doesn't have any Pop Ups. I'm pleased now with having AVS along with Comodo Firewall, and feel it will be plenty of protection for me. Thanks for everyone's input, and I will add that Antivir is a very good choice as well, and I will miss it. Until of course a month or so goes by and I get the itch to install it again. LOL. Take care everybody.

7. duke1959

I'm man enough to admit when I was wrong. After reading the thread here on AOL AVS Kaspersky scan new and changed files only, and the thread about the same incident in the Kaspersky Forum, I'm back to using Antivir PE.

8. DaveD

DaveD Guest

This worked successfully with AOL AVS. It removed every last bit of it, I am actually quite impressed with how thorough it was. If anybody is uninstalling AOL AVS for whatever reason, I would highly recommend Don's suggestions here. Thank you Don.

-Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.