Antivir PE vs AOL AVS

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by duke1959, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Thanks, haven't seen one yet, but I only run the Application Activity Analyser & Office Guard. :D
    For the rest GSS takes over. :)

2. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Well after todays update, my Antivir Guard is only active on one account and not the other one. Tried a reboot, but still the same thing. Maybe Antivir is trying to too hard to be number one. I'm sure there is an explanation and a fix coming, so we'll see. I'll uninstall and reinstall, but Nag Screen aside, this is not the best way to compete with AOL AVS. I read today about AOL itself being free, so I think AVS may stay free as well.

3. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Check your firewall rules on your wife'S account, they might be different from yours and may block the communication betwen guard and control program.

4. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Apparently there's a glitch in some multi-user setups, which results in the tray icon not displaying the state correctly in some cases. The protection should be active though, you can try it with an eicar or something alike if you want.

5. duke1959

Thanks, but will a fresh install fix this? I am back to using AVS at the moment, but still very much on the fence about which one to finally use. I like the heuristics of Antivir, but not the Notifier Window, and I like the features and spyware protection of AVS, but it makes my PC just a slight bit slower than Antivir did. This last update I know was an improvement for Antivir but it frustrated me to have Guard disabled afterwards. I looked on Antivir Forum and didn't see anything about it yet. Maybe it's unique to my PC, but new Program Updates never did this with Avast or AVG Free when I had either of those on board. I must say I was just now scanning with AVS while typing this with hardly any noticable slowness, and when it just now finished it detected Adware Win32 Comet.az on my PC. (It was in System Volume Information) I'm not sure how I got this and Kaspersky only states there is no definition for it , but ewido which also scans system restore didn't find it. There was a back up made of the three system volume info files which is cool, and AVS can back up all deleted files. Anyay, I'm done for now. Thanks to all who cared to read this, and looking forward to more replies.

6. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

I only have my account and an "administrator" account, did not see what duke1959 saw.

Seems that the Guard hangs on through thick and thin, even remaining active through an unusual freeze (build 163) when it could not 'Start' AntiVir due to eight 'suspected' malwares.

On boot up, it is active well before the AntiVir splash screen, disable it and the first icon you will see is MS Security warning that Guard is off.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On install, you should see options to install as Administrator and "For All Users" to check, Likely have same options on install of a Firewall.

Build 180 needed 3 or 4 ZoneAlarm 'permissions' for new files and then another one on next Update.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2006
  7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I am pleased with a few things. Firstly, nothing 'Shady' has appeared from the 'AOL AVS' freebie release. And along with 'Antivir's' improvement, give computer users 2 excellent 'Freebie Choices' for protection. And the better protected an 'Individual' is, the better protected 'We All Are'!.

8. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

To overcome the 1 year license - if you have True Image, you could make a "pre" AOL AVS image, then restore to that after the yearly license expires, then download it again. You'd have to redo a lot of stuff from a year's time though since you couldn't make anymore images with AVS on there. Just a thought!

9. duke1959

Hey pilotart. I'm not sure what happened, but I do have my wife's account set as Full Admin along with mine. She sometimes wants to download a new photo program so I have left it that way. You would think this wouldn't matter though. Also I'm surely not criticizing Antivir if that's what it sounds like. I may go back to it if I begin to see any slowdown using AVS with the SKPF version 4.2.3 that I just installed. SKPF and Antivir ran well together when I used them together awhile back, and I could even block the nag screen by using Kerio's Application Behavior Blocking feature. It's just that the two times I have used AVS now, it seems to grow on me more and more. It caught adware in a scan just this morning and made a back up of the files. They were however, system volume information which I believe is system restore files, but it is nice having this back up feature, to go along with the Quarantine it also has. Take care, and remember I am still very much on the fence about which one of these superb Antiviruses I will finally use for good, which is why I began this thread in the first place.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  10. Suggers

Suggers Guest

Does anyone know if the new KAV heuristic engine will be implemented in AVS? And when the KAV heuristic engine is due out?

Suggers

11. Drew99GT

Yes it will; I've read on here it will be implemented by the end of the year.

12. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Nov/dec................2006.

13. Suggers

Suggers Guest

cheers

14. duke1959

I heard maybe at the end of the year, or sometime early in the new one. I also read it is most likely to remain free. I am however, also looking forward to see what new improvements Avira has in store for Antivir. This thread I feel has been better than most of the old AVG Free vs Avast vs Antivir ones I use to read, and appreciate everyone's input who is posting here.

15. duke1959

I want to see what anyone thinks about this. I have now had BSOD over the last 3 weeks. Two with ZA Free 6.1.744 installed. One with ZA Free 6.5.737 installed. And today one with Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall 4.2.3 installed. I had the latest Comodo Firewall installed, but with no BSOD. All of these were at different times of course and I did a thorough cleaning of registry, files, and folders before each new install. The only common denominator with all 4 of these Firewalls,and the BSOD with 3 of them,has been AOL AVS. Maybe this is a stretch since two of these Firewalls have been known to give BSOD, but I'm puzzled. I didn't get any when using Antivir with each one of them. There were different messages with all of them too. The two with ZA 6.1.744 pointed directly to the Firewall, but with 6.5.737 it mentioned something about netbios being enabled. Finally with SKPF it asked if any new software was installed recently. I hope this isn't the beginning of problems with my PC. It's only 3 years old, and although I know it sounds like alot of installs and uninstalls, this has only been over the last few months. Like I said though, never any BSOD with Antivir on board. Any suggestions would be appreciated. One more thing. AVS now seems okay with just Windows XP Firewall so far, as did Antivir before the SKPF AVS combo.

16. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Duke1959,

You may want to read Stem's reply to this other thread regarding using AOL AVS with SKPF. A similar issue may also be occurring with ZA.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=146915

Not every firewall program will work with every antivirus program. Since both programs tend to embed themselves deep into the PC, many times they will conflict with each other. Memory resident programs tend to overlap sometimes and can cause BSOD occassionally. Most software developers don't write their programs with knowledge of how their code will interact with other software programs. I have rarely gotten a BSOD with my McAfee VirusScan program with ZA (they have been in use on the same PC for over 7 years), but that doesn't mean that will I never get one in the future. Too many variables are in play at any given time as the PC runs so that operating system conflicts can occur. I guess sometimes you have to make a choice on which program you want to keep more.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

The firewall in Antivir is a blessing in my book. No problems at all.

18. duke1959

ccsito how have you been? I did read Stems relpy to my problem, he is very nice to do what he does. I have had Comodo installed since this morning along with AVG Free, and no problems. I hoped that AVS was the common denominator, and nothing was wrong with my PC. Stem has cleared this up for me. I will say that at least for me, Antivir has won this round and I will be installing it tomorrow. I like AVG, but if the AV Comparitives are to be respected, it worries me a bit that something may slip by it. I really liked AOL AVS, but since I was on the fence between that and Antivir anyway, using Antivir will be just fine, especially now that I read where the latest update really lowered the amount of RAM it uses. Good to hear from you again and take care.

19. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

0,32% worse than Avast! in the August test and 1,23% better in February. :eek:

20. duke1959

I just installed Antivir again, and the Guard shows correct statis on who's ever account gets logged onto first. It is truly active on both accounts as I can see it scanning when Firefox starts up, but this bothers me. Everything was fine when I used it a few days ago. I guess yesterdays update had something to do with this. Does anyone think Avira is aware of this and there will be a fix?

21. duke1959

Antivir and Comodo still running fine together. It's just now with the thread I started about which AV are you using with Comodo Firewall, a few posts made me think about going back to AOL AVS. I have Antivir set to update three times a day to get all of Avira's many updates, which is a good thing, but I also get three Notifier Screens. (Yes that darn Nag Screen still bugs me) AVS updated quite frequently as well, but without even noticing it. I have to say Antivir's memory usage is very low now though, and no slow down on my PC like I thought I got with AVS. I think like someone else said, the way the two AV's scan in real time may be the difference in why any slowdown occurs. Anyone agree with this?

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I finally managed to get rid of that freakin' nag screen. Using AntiVir happily ever since that moment. Compensating lack of ADSPY detection with safe browser and Windows Defender does the trick. Should be ok anyway.

Edited because of TOS and constant complainings :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  23. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

nice thread with good info. i've been using antivir for over a year now on both my pc's with no problems whatsoever. i don't even mind the "nag screen", it doesn't faze me. and it's a small price to pay for keeping the antivir free.

now this aol antivirus intrigues me. it uses kaspersky's detection engine :eek: !
    does anyone know how well it's spyware protection abilities compare to spyware doctor, spyware sweeper, or M$'s window's defender?

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have sorta changed my mind about this thread i say avs but dont install the toolbar what ever you do dont!!!!

I mean kaspersky detection for free hell yes!!

lodore

25. Drew99GT

How can you get Antivir to update more than once per day?

Also, what's the dizzy with the Antivir firewall; will it be free as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.