Antivir PE vs AOL AVS

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by duke1959, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

You know, you might as well buy regular KIS if you were gonna buy AVS.

2. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I did mean the Kaspersky paid version, so sorry about that chief. (That's for anyone old enough to remember the tv show Get Smart)

3. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

This is completely irrational (and I mean all the anti-AOL emotive posts). AOL is no different from any other big company. Neither is BT, many of the good things that BT does are because the regulator (offcom) makes them.

Anyway choose the one you like best. I'd say AOL AVS but you can't go wrong with either.

Fairy

4. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

I can well understand "...anti-AOL emotive..." but to be fair, that is based on personal experience dating back nearly ten years.

It had been bad enough to prevent ANY thought of ever dealing with THAT "big company" ever again
    and it may be unfair to paint any company with such an old brush. :oops:

Long ago, it had been the AOL Bloat that necessitated a Hard Drive format
    plus all the marketing pressure. (Telephoning :ouch: as well as OnLine activity.)

But I will give them due credit, that on their final Telemarketing Call, after my telling them that that had been one reason to switch ISP's
    and they never Telephoned again. :rolleyes:

I used to copy over their monthly mailed diskettes, has anyone ever come up with a use for unwanted CD's? :cool:

5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

OR you could do the AVS and if you like it after the year of free then buy the regular KIS. ;) Might be the way I go anyway. :doubt:

6. duke1959

Anyone else tried both Anitvir and AOL AVS? The reason I ask is. I think my PC seems just a tad bit slower (Switching from one user to another, Firefox log on, and maybe programs opening) now with AVS installed than when I was using Antivir. Not 100% sure as it has been a few weeks since I had Antivir installed, but it did seem as if everything was a little faster then. Thanks.

7. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Have you made a full scan yet? Are you using the recommended settings (the default ones)?

8. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

The reason why you may be experiencing this slow down is that the kaspersky scan engine scans at a much slower rate, and since the on-access scanner scans files as they are written, read, and executed, then you are most likely experiencing the slowdown from AVS. Since antivir has a fast scanning engine, you don't really notice any slowdown, at least not on my computer.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

9. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Can't argue with that. Still as this product is KAV lite badged AOL
    then I would argue that it's worth ignoring the logo and accepting a valuable free gift. Certainly an improvement on those endless CDs. I wouldn't recommend AOL as an ISP but the AV is a bargain.

Fairy

10. duke1959

Thanks everyone. I have the settings set to Default for active protection. I really like this program and don't want to bail out on it just yet. I am close to installing the latest version of ZA Free so if the two don't get along (I got a BSOD using AVS with ZA Free 6.1.744) then I might go back to Antivir as it ran fine with ZA. One things for sure, I need to stop all this comparing, and trying different software, and move on with my life. (LOL) I do enjoy reading what people like yourselves have say though, and I appreciate all your input on anything I have to say. It's just nice to hear from people like yourselves who seem like tuly nice people. Take care guys.

11. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

After going through some threads on this Forum and the last AV Comparatives reports, I'm considering switching to Avira AntiVir free after having been unhappy with two paid for AV programs in the last years. The NAV was very slow while Trend Micro won't let me simply renew the license for a one year old version.

Since I don't receive heaps of mail I'm wondering if setting Outlook Express to "Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail" and checking manually every attached file would give me a safe enough alternative to the automatic mail scanning included in the Premium edition.

What happens if I forget to check an attachment manually and let the virulent file slip through? I expect AntiVir will block in time any attempt to run it, preventing infection. Is that so?

Thank you.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if you open an attachment by mistake the guard will block it.

its useful to note that firstly there will be an avira suite with firewall soon.
    and the free version doesnt have spyware and adware detection.

13. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Thank you for the quick reply Iodore,

Spyware, adware, trojans and firewall are all taken care of by separate dedicated software already. I'm not very fond of universal tools. :D

So I understand you see no security holes in the approach I described.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

np glad to help.

atm i got spysweeper as my dedacated antispyware.
    I was just making sure you had no gaps.

I cant wait till the avira suite is out. I love there av lol.
    since antivir is lighter than f-secure by a long shot i might then be able to turn spysweeper sheilds on again also no conflct with antivir

15. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi again Iodore,

Now that you mention conflicts. Didn't think of them before, because I never stumbled upon one. I have Ad-aware, Spyboot, Ewido and Zone Alarm. Do you happen to know about possible conflicts between any one of those and AntiVir? Did you notice a compatibility list on the Avira site?

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Tested them all and no conflicts. Of sourse when the security suite is out, ZA wont work, but you wont need it.

17. agent silver

agent silver Registered Member

I like the Active Virus Shield, I also like the antivir personal, but that nag screen drove me nuts, wish I had known about the way round then! Regarding AVS, however, bear in mind it loses some of the functionality of the full KAV product, what I discovered though is that there is little difference in results between KAV and F-Secure according to the comparison write ups, and by visiting Microsoft I was able to download a six month trial of F-secure with half price renewal costs after the trial period, this covers anti virus, anti malware and rootkit detector - Bargain.

18. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I now have both, one on each machine. both are functioning fine. I will post anything odd, but I expect things will contiunue to work excellent with top notch protection. :)

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

sorry for the late reply but I was out all day. alot of people use those programs with no conflicts. but of course as said above soon you can replace zone alarm with the suite.

20. duke1959

Just a quick note. I received my third BSOD today. The first two were a little while back when I had ZA free 6.1.744 installed and later installed AOL AVS with it. I tried ZA Free 6.5.737 yesterday to see if my PC ran faster than with the latest Comodo Firewall I was using, and guess what? Yep it seemed a little faster, but I got my third BSOD ever just tonight. This didn't happen with Comodo installed along with AVS, so apparently ZA Free and AVS, at least on my PC doesn't get along very well. I uninstalled ZA free and am going back to Comodo, but I still believe my PC also ran faster with Antivir as well. Not sure this was really a quick note, but it may be important to any ZA Free users who want to use AVS.

21. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Another AntiVir's false positive on FastStone Capture 4.2, anyone who is using AntiVir should tell its developer for fixing (I'm not using it).

Attached Files:

22. duke1959

Quick update. I installed Antivir today along with Comodo Firewall again, and so far my PC seems to run a little faster than it did with AOL AVS and Comodo, plus so far when I switch from one account to the other it doesn't take as long as it did with AVS and Comodo either. I do miss having AVS installed though, and will add that it uninstalled very well with no problems. I think after the next release of Comodo Firewall which should run even lighter than current version I may try AVS with it again. Still though, I must say I do like having Antivir back again.

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

antivir is a highly reccomended av imo=p
    go avira!!!

antivir suite hasnt got many problems and its still in beta, everyoine learn from this spend more time beta testing. this means all companies...

but bitdefender 10 is released but still buggy
    kaspersky 6.0 is still buggy.

24. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Just curious, but why do you say it's buggy o_O
    Haven't had any problems with KAV and I've been using it since the early release candidates.
    Didn't try BitDefender yet, but will wait a little longer until they've fixed the reported bugs. :)

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the proavtive defence module mainly. theere does seem to be quite a few bug that should have been fixed in when it was in beta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.