AntiVir Incremental VDF-Update Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iwod, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Good to hear. Any news on Heuristics Engine 2.0, new interface or improved auto-updater (without a need for extra tray icon and with full functinality)?

2. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Oh i want those.................. if they do come out soon i would use this instead of Fprot ........ ( unless Fprot 4 comes out of coz. :D )

3. wildman

wildman Registered Member

o_O O.k., remains to be seen! Why doesn't H+BEDV allow the VDF updates to be obtained from other sites as well as it's own such as Castle Cops and perhaps some others, to take the load off your server(s)? You know this has been a problem for years and this seems as if it would be a solution, but H+BEDV will not see the light. Why?

Thanks
    Wildman

4. waters

waters Registered Member

Now that incremental updates are running ok,cant wait for heuristics to be improved.What a great free antivirus ,even now better protection than most pay ones.

5. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Starting this morning German time, the update servers are no longer at 100% port usage, so finally enough users switched over to the incr. VDF version.

Updating should be fast now, the server are much more responsive.

Heuristics 2.0, I am waiting for some code merging, optimizing the detection even more until that merging can be done. As soon that is done, there will be an open beta.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Excellent :) I'm looking forward to try it out:D

EDIT:
    I have one and probably final question for today (well sort of,it's more afeature request).
    When will we see folder/file based exclusions in AntiVir (preferably in all editions including free one)? Just process exclussion isn't the best and i really miss it.
    I run a massive infected file storage where i perfrom all the testings and prepare files for submission and this is really holding me back from using AntiVir just because i can't exclude that folder from realtime (On-Access) scan.
    Please impliment this minor (but important) feature. Thx

7. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Oh.... apart from the HE 2.0, can someone in H+BEDV just take as 1 - 3 hours to get some new icons done? Nothing fancy on UI redesign... etc... Just some updated moden icon. ( I remember there was another product based on AntiVir.. and their icon looks much better and some slight Colour changes...... The program just looks 10 times better.......... sometimes it is the small things that makes the difference )

Oh... and auto update without taking focus off my main program would be nice.... should be another easy fix.

8. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Exclusion list, new gui... isn't xmas soon? :D

9. wildman

:) This at long long last appears to be good news. I also want to say thank you, for coming on this forum and telling us what is really going on, this has done more for me in the past few days than has ever been done in the past. I urge this sort of response in regards to AntiVir. I don't consider this support request by the way. I now will stop lambasting AntiVir, provided this is not a ruse, and I have no reason to believe that it is.

Thanks
    Wildman

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, if my computer calendar isn't wrong it is :D
    Xmas comes earlier this year hehe

11. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Well then it is if you are talking about xmas 05 :D

12. wildman

:mad: Once again I am starting to see posts that the server(s) are still overloaded for AntiVir. Remember I said that I would not lambaste H+BEDV if I thought that the incremental updating was not a ruse. Well it looks like I may go back to lambasting them. It would appear that for what ever reason they are unable or unwilling to adequately address let alone fix this issue. I am now starting to think that they may be totally incompetent in this particular area. Once again this company fails miserably in this area. Oh yes I don't know what I am talking about, but gee the post I allude to are not mine, hum!

Thanks
    Wildman
    :'( :ninja:

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Why "allude?" Spit it out, Wild Thang! :D

The load on AV-PEC's server is NOT a problem to those who follow a very simple schedule. Namely, if you download signature updates between the hours of 1AM - 5AM Germany time, they will be very speedy. As to AVPEC's new incremental updater, it smokes!

In just the past few weeks H+BEDV has issued two major programmatic upgrades to AVPEC. Both upgrades were large downloads (>4MB) because they encompassed the entire AVPEC program. I downloaded each of them at ~3 PM Pacific time, with speeds of 150 Kbps or better. Not slow a'tall a'tall.

The consistent and frequent upgrades to AVPEC indicate to me that H+BEDV is determined to make AVPEC -- already a "good" AV -- into one of the very best AVs.

Even with all the recent improvements, AVPEC retains one of the lightest footprints, both in terms of low cpu usage, & in terms of low memory usage. Accordingly, it is one of the favorite AVs among my students who still are running less powerful computers. It is also the choice of several students who have very souped-up boxes but need a light AV because they play online games.

When selecting or recommending an AV, I prefer not to depend on anecdotal evidence. For me the proof of the pudding for an AV is in the testing. I say this because, even though I surf quite a bit & get LOTS of poisoned e-mail, the happenstance that my computer has not yet been infected (or *seems* not to have been) doesn't prove anything, really, does it?

Ergo, I place great reliance on objective tests, such as those done by IBK. Of the freebies, AVPEC ranks very high in those tests. Not using AVPEC (or at least trying it) because of "he said / she said" and "could'a would'a should'a" is tantamount to shooting one's self in the metatarsals, IMHO.

Good night & good luck......... bellgamin
    Is choosing the wrong AV caused by ignorance or apathy? I don't know & I don't care.:cool:

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

As far as i know Wildman is on dialup. I wonder why is he ranting about speeds anyway since you can't expect any from dialup...

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Those who rant the most about speed are usually those who don't have it. :)

As far as the AntiVir updates go, I found that they work fine if you just find the best time of day to do it. For me here in CA, anytime from 2pm to 9pm seems to work great. On the other hand, once I get too far outside that timeframe, I get no connection at all from their server(s). But the simple way is to find that ideal time window and then just do it then.

16. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Do users of Avast and Avg have to figure out what time it is in Germany so that they can get their Av's updated? Wildman can't be dismissed out of hand as there is some validity to what he says but personally I would have moved on before now if I was unhappy.

17. wildman

:mad: To allow a company to continue in this manner and dismissing it is in my humble opinion what is wrong with quiet a few things in this old world today. It is this type of attitude that I can not and will not tolerate, and if I am the only one doing so, that is o.k. by me also. Does this now give you a clue as to why I continue. This will be the last time I try and justify my actions also! As for moving on, those who want to go right ahead, but don't cry when all you are left with is second rate. Oh by the way, this is the only "free" virus protection program that I am aware of that has this type of problem, if there is any others please let all of us know. Also AntiVir has by hint and innuendo over a long period of time given the impression that this problem was being addressed and fixed. Gee pardon me, but I don't see any tangible evidence of this. No they have had more than enough time to have gotten their act together, now they reap what they have sowed, and if only by me then again that's o.k. Who the hell wants to do updating in the middle of the night for a virus protection program? It doesn't make a rats behind of difference how fast or how slow, if you can not make contact to begin with! Yes I would like to be able to use the product, but not if I have to continuously put up with crap to do so. Oh yes it is "free", but so what, either make it palatable, or pull it off the market!

Thanks
    Wildman
    :ninja:

18. waters

waters Registered Member

I can update at other times than in middle of night.It also updates at weekends.It has the highest detection rate of the free ones.I like it and take offence that one person can rant on about takeing it off the market.If you do not like it free,dont use it or pay.

19. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Calm Down. May be because more and more users are now using the free Services? I see some huge gain in usage in some East Asia Area??

20. waters

waters Registered Member

I have just signed up and started beta antivir 7.Wow,totally new look.I hope the free version will eventually be a spin off from this.

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Can you post few screenshots? Also where did you signed up for beta testing? Can't find anything related with that...

22. waters

waters Registered Member

23. waters

waters Registered Member

24. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I did say there is validity to what you say. However I sense that people will begin to shut off mentally when you post on this issue in future, but it's your call. As far as fixing things I don't believe they have any intentions of doing anything to rectify your plight. In fact if you go to their site, Antivir touts the exclusivity of their PAY versions servers for fast downloads. Thereby making the servers a feature of their pay version so they have little incentive to fix the situation regarding their FREE version. Also as has been noted in other posts from people OUTSIDE of Europe not everyone is having dificulty anyway.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  25. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Is that what we are waiting for? HE 2.0 and New look!!

Is there any update on the Programs Updater?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.