AntiVir Incremental VDF-Update Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iwod, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's ok,but still lacks some features that others have. If you want to try it i suggesst this beta with incrimental updater. Older one sux big time compared to this one.

2. iwod

iwod Registered Member

It depends on your usage. Its main advantage is little resource usage. And it is free.

3. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) I think this about sums it up. If you have the memory the other "free" programs would be a better option in my opinion. AntiVir/Classic is still to much of a hassle to maintain, an if you don't have to put up with the hassle, I wouldn't, however it is up to each one of you to make up his/her own mind.

Thanks
    Wildman

4. See this thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=56459
    In short, use:
    /EXP /NW
    I don't know what /EXP does, but it was there to start with.
    /NW must mean No Window. The window doesn't pop-up (BUT something does sort of 'flash' quickly, I don't know if it would still interfere with a game.)
    Removing /UDE gets rid of the final question "Do you want to exit the program?"

Poking around in the exe file, there *may* be other options like /AUTODL, /AGENT, /NM, /auto... I haven't tried them to see what they do (if anything).

5. wildman

o_O O.k. I have posted something very similar to this on the AntiVir BB.

To be completely fair, I am going to give the BETA version of AntiVir/Classic a try. I will then make up my mind as to if there are any significant difference today from what has been in the past. In case anyone tries to take me out of context, I have never said that the program was bad, only that in my opinion the server(s) "SUCK". I still have my doubts about H+BEDV as a company also, but I will again let this BETA thing speak for itself.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :rolleyes:

6. wildman

:eek: O.k., this is only the second day of obtaining updates. Making contact with the server still appears a little slow, but I must admit better than it has been in the past. Once contact has been made the downloads are fairly quick. This appears to be a step in the right direction. I like the fact that this is a rather small package and does not take up very much memory, eye candy is not important to me.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :doubt: o_O

7. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

/me wonders what Wildman will say when the new GUI goes beta... ;)

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The free version will also have a better GUI!?

Great! :D

9. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Yes, I mean i was just thinking aloud. :p

It's no good to try to scare away malware with the look of the GUI, don't you think? ;-)

10. iwod

iwod Registered Member

well you should try and set the updater to update sliently....... That way you wont even notice a thing!.

@Stefan Kurtzhals

New GUI? How come all of a sudden AntiVir seems to get all the much needed update? How about a function to not scan a file that hasn't changed since last scan? Or a Web scanner?

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

:D :D :D

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It was about time. Those 8bit images really scared s**t out of me :p Not to mention those poor little viruses that were scared even more :D

13. wildman

:rolleyes: You seem to forget that there are some of us, that due to circumstances beyond our control are still using dial-up, and thus not continuously connected to the WEB. In this type situation manual checking and updating is the best option. Now to throughly appear ignorant, what the hell is GUI?

As I said, I will try and be completely fair about this. Actions will speak much louder than words.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :eek: :p :'(

14. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Graphical User Interface = GUI

15. wildman

O.k. Never heard of this before, what is it's function and how does it work? How will this be an improvement over the server(s)? Is this anything like a stack?

Thanks
    Wildman

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It is just an improvement of the application graphics, like the icons of button, etc...

Like the others AntiVir shareware versions... ;)

17. The Hammer

Consider it the control panel. Where you configure the program.

18. wildman

:eek: In other words nothing more than eye candy! Big deal, I would think H+BEDV had more pressing issues to take care of besides this, like perhaps working on the server(s) or perhaps even installing new ones, or perhaps installing a stack instead of the server(s). Gee what would the Wildman say indeed?

Thanks
    Wildman
    :rolleyes: :(

19. The Hammer

A GUI can be more than eye candy. It can make a program easier to use or harder than it should be.

20. wildman

:D I would bet no one thought that the Wildman could have any positive comments to say about AntiVir, they would have been wrong.

This BETA thing looks as if it just may be the ticket, thus far the Wildman has been pleasantly surprised. If H+BEDV can once and for all solve the server(s) problem, they in my opinion will have a very competitive product. I really don't care about the eye candy, as that in my opinion does not do anything to enhance the over all product. Obtainably, ease of maintaining the product and reliability of the product are the major key factors as far as I am concerned.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :) :D

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

They could at least impiment full exclusions mechanism,because full featured exclussion system is a must in these days.

22. wildman

:mad: Todays updating was not so good, the "new" program was rather large and the down load time was excessive, > 30 minutes on dial-up. The down load speed was all over the place going from 50 to never over 1200 byte(S). The server(s) appeared to be a problem as well. Improvement in this area for the "BETA" and future updates in my opinion is required.

Thanks
    Wildman

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  23. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Don't feel bad, I can't even get it to silently update, which sucks IMO.

24. iwod

iwod Registered Member

@ Slovak : what is your problem with slient update?

I think we should list all the small / easy thing Antivir could do improve their product.

BTW, why is the incremental update on Antivir so much bigger when compare to Avast?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.