Antivir free of Mcafee Enterprise 8.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Stephan123, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephan123

Stephan123 Registered Member

Hello

I have the whole day a question in my mind about which AV i must take
    my subscription of norman will expire next week and i can get a licence of Mcafee enterprise 8.0 on my work. But i hear also that Antivir free is very good and in the last test of avcomparitives antivir beats mcafee.I dont want to pay for a antivirus and avast is not a option, detection is worse, skin is not nice. Terrible antivirus. AVG is weak in detecting virusses. I can choose between antivir free and mcafee 8.0 enterprise. Which one must i get. Thanks

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

McAfee VSE 8.0i. AntiVir has crap update servers that rarely work (at all).
    Never had such problems with McAfee...

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

What o_O !? Thats how it is. Besides if he can get free McAfee VSE 8.0i why not? It's one of the best AVs out there.

4. TAP

TAP Registered Member

McAfee Enterprise is definitely the best choice, it has more overall reliability (at least better update mechanisms and seems to have lesser false positives) than AntiVir Classic. Keep in mind that McAfee Enterprise is a full-featured antivirus while AntiVir Classic is a stripped version of its premium version.

But all depends on your preference, I also have CA eTrust Antivirus (not eTrust EZ) from my work but I choose to use avast! Home Edition (free) on my personal PC and my home network, I've found avast! Home Edition is enough for my needs and it is better and effective than CA eTrust Antivirus and many paid AV's I've tried.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have used McAfee, but not Antivir. However, as I read the test results of AVC, and the problems of Antivir on that forum, I think it is McAfee hands down.

I just removed Avast from my laptop, as I wanted one of the best, and there are several better than Avast. Avast is a good AV, and many use it with satisfaction. I just wanted the best as I can determine it.

Jerry

6. Stephan123

Stephan123 Registered Member

Okey, thanks for your answers, i will get MCafee enterprise 8.0 by my work.

7. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Antivir is your solution, I agree on your other points. The whole "Update" issue recently has been grossly overstated by the same couple people here. I did have hiccups the first day, that were easily resolved. Prior to, and since then, the update process has been as smooth as silk for me. McAfee is too overloaded for me, and I like deeper heuristics that Antivir offers.

8. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

He is trying to say you are becoming a one-trick-pony with the way you spew out Antivir hatred on every thread. o_O o_O o_O

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Did i? And why the hell would i recommend something thats not working as it should? I'm still standing behind recommendation of McAfee and i don't think i'll be changing my mind any time soon...
    Hatred? Would you use an antivirus that fails to update normally? I know i wouldn't and i'm not using it. Besides, AntiVir is the ONLY AV with such major updating problems. Others have quirks here and there but nothing so serious and long lasting. But sure, i'll recommend the car to you which will most certanly fly off the road in the first corner... looks like you don't care about such things...

10. TAP

TAP Registered Member

It's so ridiculous with the fact that I still can't update antivirus software (AntiVir Classic) since yesterday.

Attached Files:

• aa.png
      aa.png
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
  11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Try them both on your machine and see which one you like. If you still cannot decide, IMO, Mcafee Enterprise 8.0i would be the better option. Just make sure you install its latest Patch ( Number 11 ).

I would not recommend the Free version of Antivir, IME, because there are, at times, problems in connecting with, and downloading from, their Classic Servers.

As shown by the above post :blink:

12. Blackcat

Time to upgrade to the Premium Edition, Tap ;)

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Plus VSE8.0i offers spyware detection which is not present in AntiVir Classic...

14. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

right...

also, if you can get your hands on their antispyware enterprise module, it would be a great addon to VSE 8.0i, increasing their spyware detection...

15. joter

joter Registered Member

Please compare McAfee VSE 8.0i ONLY with Avira Antivir Personal Edition PREMIUM.
    It has fast servers, spyware detection and very good heuristics detection.
    OVERALL it's better than McAfee.

Regards
    joter

16. Blackcat

His choice ;)

17. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

McAfee also has some pretty nice proactive defense features.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

The exact reason why i'm leaning towards McAfee, but nooooo, no one actually reads what someone asked in the first place... :rolleyes:

19. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Message of mine was deleted. Please accept an apology for my hasty post off the top of my head and in a hurry,
    it was unkind and uncalled for.:oops:

Having once used a free McAfee and liking it less than Norton, Panda, TrendMicro, iRiS, EZ-Trust or PCcillin,
    it was a completely kneejerk reaction.

AntiVir happens to be best for me,
    McAfee may be better for some folk and I should not be knocking it based on poor performance for me, a few years ago.

Good that he has a choice and the "Try it" is no doubt the best suggestion.

A question comes to mind, on 'trying' Security Software about how you best insure complete removal before trying the next?
    System Backup? CleanSweep or other installation monitor software? Or just rely on CP; Add/Remove.

I must respect that you and most everyone else in here knows more about anti virus software than I,
    but believe me when I report that AntiVir works best, by far, for me. :)

McAfee just happens to be just as securely at the bottom of my list as AntiVir is on yours.:'(

20. TAP

TAP Registered Member

There's free alternative out there, I still have AVG Free and avast! Home that have reliable update servers. :D

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  21. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

what version of mcafee did you tried?

you must be confused between home and enterprise version of mcafee...

the enterprise version of mcafee is really good, consumes less resources and very configurable unlike their home version...

22. TAP

TAP Registered Member

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise is a real good corporate antivirus solution, it's rock solid and professional with high configurations and fast in real-time performance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  23. Blackcat

You should find the updating of this one a little more reliable than AntiVir Classic BUT I would still keep an eye on the automatic updater of this Enterprise version.

At Work we have had problems with many machines losing the automatic updater function and the Framework Service seem to be the culprit.

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I never had problems with updating when i was still using VSE 8.0i.

25. Blackcat

There have been problems with the autoupdater.

But so far, I have had no problems with it on my Work laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.