AntiVir 7

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iwod, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well AntiVir ain't that bad either. Only thing that i miss in free edition is spyware detection. AVG and avast! handle all threats equaly as their payable big brothers. Small downside but thats a tradeoff for being free i guess.
    Bright side of this is that they still cover the most obvious threats that also fall under spyware category. Thing that i like in AntiVir 7 is the new sleek interface which is really 1A for me. It's perfect. Configuration page might be a bit too complex in Expert mode but thats why it's called Expert ;)
    Excellent minimalistic interface with full feature set. Really can't argue with that.
    Perfromance of scanner is also pretty high. I haven't even checked the memory usage since it was running so smooth.

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The new version seemed to improved a lot the GUI and its detection on all malware, except Adware/Spyware that are one of the biggest plagues of the present, and reaches millions of users...

Maybe they change this in the future, or not...

3. Ailric

Ailric Guest

After test AntiVir 7 I noticed that updates run out in May. Does anyone know what happens after that? I thought it was free?

Thank you for any info. :)

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The date will be extended automatically prior to expiration...

5. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Cool. Thanks.

6. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Rasheed: Last time I looked, horizontal menus were the defacto standard for windows programs.... chosing an AV because of its menu alignment seems a bit strange....
    and quoting iwod on the ressources: "Now it is using less than 4Mb of Working Set with 55Mb VM", I doubt KAV goes below that....

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  7. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Actually, the full 6.0 suite are using 4.5mb if just memory, 27mb total (with VM), as i write this. I agree about menu's though.;)

8. Purplexity

Purplexity Registered Member

I must say i was pleasantly surprised as a first time user to AntiVir PE Classic version 7 .
    I tried configuring it to run along side Avast! home, but it meant losing the P2P & Instant messaging modules .
    Also not running the 'Guard' in Antivir . So one or the other :doubt:
    Kind of confusing really, the freebies are very good, if they weren't I'd be buying a commercial one . :D

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Actually, I meant I can´t stand "horizontal scrollbars" (not toolbars), I have edited my last post. I think it makes the GUI looks ugly. But I never said that this was the reason I would not use AntiVir anymore. And about resource usage, it just feels a lot more sluggish compared to v6, even on my new machine with 1GB RAM. Also, if you start the control center it will use even more RAM, logical but I think it´s too much. :rolleyes:

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

LOL? I have half that RAM size and runs fast like nuts. Memory is there to be used m'kay? And i sure hope for you that you keep AntiVir minimized while you use your PC. Don't have a clue why i'd care how much program uses when opened. I mean it's not like AntiVir 7 consumes entie 1GB of RAM...
    AntiVir 7 worked the same as NOD32 on my machine. And thats VERY fast.
    So no complaints here. Haven't seen any horizontal scrollbars either...

11. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

See.......every program seems to perform differently on different machines.
    For one Kav is top and for the other Kav crawls, same with Bitdefender.
    How come? Maybe hardware interference, running processes interference......
    Antivir 7 ran like silk here also!!

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Wow, latest AntiVir heuristics are really incredible. Checking the Jotti today and i constantly see AntiVir detecting stuff with heuristics.

13. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Unfortunately I have not seen so dramatic detections with heuristics only. In my mind still NOD and DrWeb are still far more ahead, when you need at least two detections in Jotti's snapshots to minimize those possiple False Positives.

The good news with AntiVir, it was in the same class in Av-Compatives as NOD, but in Jotti's it seems to be in the fourth place just after DrWeb, Kaspersky and Vba32 (in alphabetical order). So, very good job to AntiVir®! :)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

14. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

If you really want to know the Jotti's 6 x 100 snapshots results during the last week, here it is.

FF 6 x 100 av-test from Jotti's snapshots 03.-11. Mar. 2006:

All samples in these snapshots are NOT with "ZIP", "RAR", "CAB" format or those "COM" format, that are actually old DOS samples. (most of all are with "EXE" format).

Those snapshots were excluded, where all av:s were capable to detect the sample, but there have still to be at least two detectings in each snapshot.

Detection rate:

Total ------ Set 1 ----- Set 2 ----- Set 3 ----- Set 4 ---- Set 5 ----- Set 6

72.3 % ----- 82 % ----- 69 % ----- 78 % ----- 72 % ----- 61 % ----- 72 % -- DrWeb 4.33
    72.2 % ----- 78 % ----- 76 % ----- 64 % ----- 71 % ----- 74 % ----- 70 % -- Kaspersky
    70.3 % ----- 70 % ----- 71 % ----- 66 % ----- 74 % ----- 68 % ----- 73 % -- Vba32
    62.3 % ----- 62 % ----- 57 % ----- 59 % ----- 74 % ----- 63 % ----- 59 % -- AntiVir
    59.0 % ----- 71 % ----- 63 % ----- 52 % ----- 54 % ----- 60 % ----- 54 % -- NOD32
    58.3 % ----- 65 % ----- 63 % ----- 55 % ----- 58 % ----- 55 % ----- 54 % -- BitDefender
    46.0 % ----- 55 % ----- 43 % ----- 38 % ----- 49 % ----- 49 % ----- 42 % -- Fortinet
    45.3 % ----- 51 % ----- 47 % ----- 43 % ----- 43 % ----- 52 % ----- 36 % -- Norman VC
    43.2 % ----- 49 % ----- 46 % ----- 33 % ----- 55 % ----- 41 % ----- 35 % -- ArcaVir
    42.5 % ----- 53 % ----- 50 % ----- 39 % ----- 42 % ----- 41 % ----- 30 % -- AVG
    32.8 % ----- 40 % ----- 35 % ----- 36 % ----- 35 % ----- 25 % ----- 26 % -- Avast
    28.0 % ----- 26 % ----- 28 % ----- 32 % ----- 34 % ----- 30 % ----- 18 % -- ClamAV
    24.3 % ----- 37 % ----- 27 % ----- 23 % ----- 24 % ----- 23 % ----- 12 % -- F-Prot
    24.0 % ----- 35 % ----- 20 % ----- 20 % ----- 31 % ----- 17 % ----- 21 % -- UNA
    17.0 % ----- 26 % ----- 19 % ----- 21 % ----- 16 % ----- 12 % ----- 08 % -- VirusBuster

This is the only av-test, where any av-vendor can't prepare to the test before the test itself. To exclude those possible False Positives, I didn't count those detectings made by one av only.

If someone says that 600 snapshots are too small sample to test in a week, you are free to try that by yourself. A good hint. Try Gadwin PrintScreen to collect those snapshots!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.