AntiVir 7 Premium Open Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Stefan Kurtzhals, Nov 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

After using AntiVir 7 for a couple days now (Classic) I'm really liking the program. It's in my list of most favorite programs for sure. I'll be carefully waiting till the final version. Is there any date/month the final should be ready?

And again, hopefully the Classic will remain free :)

2. joter

joter Registered Member

http://antivir7.sk-webhosting.de/

Regards
    joter

3. Sputnik

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Not here: :(

sched.exe 3.800 KB
    avguard.exe 16.880 KB
    avgnt.exe 5.500 KB

I hope that these will have a great improvement...

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Despite the relatively high memory usage, the RTM is as light as a feather on my system ;)

You won't recognise the Guard unless you have a very old computer with limited RAM.

6. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

It is light and very effective. Antivir 7 Beta found on my pc 5 infected files. All 5 was infected with Ider.A.Rkit. It is almost unbelivable that Kaspersky 6 Beta did not recognize any of them as infected even if it was regularly updated!? So, I went to jotti.org and uploaded all 5 of them and almost all of the antivirus programs recognize them as infected, included Kaspersky!? :rolleyes: May be there are some problems with beta version of Kaspersky, I don't know?

Thumb up for AntiVir!

P.S. License for the Antivir Classic (Free) 7 Beta is valid until 5/31/2006. Does it mean that after 5/31 free version of AntiVir will be discontinued?

7. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

The Kaspersky Beta had some problems with the beta update server. So we missed a few updates. Now everythings back to normal. Anyway, you can expect that with beta products!

8. wildman

wildman Registered Member

o_O Excuse me, but wasn't this supposed to have been out of BETA by now? Dang will you people ever learn that just because the product may be good does not necessarily mean that the company is. I do believe that one of the biggest providers of security software was viewed as being not that great of a company, well I am here to say that is my opinion of H+BEDV the company behind AntiVir. How long have they been playing with this? How receptive are they to suggestions about their "free" product? How quick are they in fixing problems that occur? Think about it folks!

Thanks
    Wildman
    o_O :rolleyes:

9. waters

waters Registered Member

Had a couple of false alarms,while i am trying beta with new heuristics beta.Sent them off and had replys very quickly.Updates very frequent and replys came all over christmas period.

10. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Ok, i thought about it and i'm thinking.....will you ever learn.:p

You have obviously never participated in a beta program, they virtually never meet deadlines, because it is impossible to predict an exact date until late in the development when all the problems that you didn't expect (+ the ones you did expect) have been covered, the lead developer at my company always says: "I predict it will be finished in three months, so you can bet that it will take six" when someone asks for a date............

Btw. To my knowledge AntirVir 7 is scheduled for a jan 16/17 release.:)

11. wildman

Don I like you, but what is to learn about this company? The product may or may not be great, but what about the company behind the product, are you telling me that does not matter? Oh by the way I figure it, they have been messing around with this in one way or another since approx. the year 2004, now I ask isn't that long enough? Enough with this slower than a snail company, it's either move it or get the hell out of the way. I also flat say that there are other companies who appear to care much more than with the impression that H+BEDV leaves one with.

Thanks
    Wildman
    o_O

12. minacross

minacross Registered Member

When I click on the virus info link at the AntiVir's guard "virus found" screen, 'it opens AntiVir's website in German and does not display the corresponding info.
    I'm using the bta English ver. not the German one.
    :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• ger.jpg
      ger.jpg
      File size:
      104.7 KB
      Views:
  13. minacross

that's the screen I'm talking about :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• av.jpg
      av.jpg
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
  14. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I like you too Wildman, we just see this from completely different angels i guess.:)

For example you see a company who have not held their promisses and they cannot be trusted anymore correct?

I see a small AV company who does make a good AV freely available for those who cannot afford one (or who simply does not want to buy AV protection), they will then have to live with a updatingserver(S) which is not as smooth as the ones which the payware version are using, to me this is fair and makes sence, if/when i can afford the payware version (which has a very fair price) i can then choose this one and thank them for the free AV protection i have been getting for free (in my best friend's case for years).

Or i can choose not to and thats the point, if you don't like their product then walk away & find another, nobody forces you and there will still be plenty of users with a need for a free AV who will be glad they are there, even if the updating is not like the payware version.

So i do not dislike you, on the contrary i like you, we just disagree.;) :cool:

15. minacross

Wisely spoken Don ;)

16. wildman

:) O.k., I can see each of your points, can you see mine?

Hopefully this will be the last I have to say about this subject.

Keep in mind that AntiVir is not the only "free" virus protection program available, and the other companies providing these products, in my opinion appear to be much more receptive to suggestions about their product, and appear to be much quicker in implementing changes for the better. Why anyone would not try and support these type of companies versus H+BEDV, who in my opinion has never demonstrated any of these qualities is beyond my compression. I still say even if the product appears to be a good one, does not mean that the company behind it is any good.

O.k. I have had my say, and will now leave it at that.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool: :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  17. minacross

Attached Files:

• redt.jpg
      redt.jpg
      File size:
      39.6 KB
      Views:
  18. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Why is that unbelieveable? Guys, this is a major redesign, most of the code was newly written. There are always unpredictable problems with such a big release.
    The incremental VDF updating was in open beta for several months, no one complained about the release of that.

How about doing some testing of the new heuristics meanwhile? I bet there are still false positives out there I need to fix. :)

19. Sputnik

Don't worry Stefan. If you would have released a buggy initial version they had something to complain as well ;) However, AntiVir 7 is coming together really nice. And people might already forgot how long Kaspersky 2006 is in open-testing already, actually with no targretted release date.

Good luck, and if any fp's are found I know to find you :)

20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I will do it to help... ;)

21. minacross

I'm not complaining just impatient :rolleyes: :D :D

22. wildman

:rolleyes: Once again this smacks of proof that H+BEDV can not get it's act together. Hay anyone can come up with excuses, but it is a heck of a lot harder to come up with tangible reasons, and what you have said here, I do not take as a valid reason. A good programmer would have for seen these things and been prepared to deal with them expeditiously. Oh well I have repeatedly tried to convince you folks of this. Action does speak louder than words.

Thanks
    Wildman
    o_O :gack: :shifty: :isay:

23. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

all betas take there time to be tested. They cant be just tested for 30 days like norton does and look norton is crap. Also if you look alot of beta programs extend their expire date like kaspersky, ms as, antivir,etc so that false positives and bugs can be cleared up

Removed personal comment. Please refrain from such comments. Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2006
  24. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2006
  25. wildman

o_O OK, what do you consider a reasonable time for testing? How long should a programmer take to correct a problem?

I also don't hold much stock in your tests, as I think the majority of them are subjective. I still like to think that if a security program is not doing the job, it would not remain on the market for long.

I also am of the opinion that one should not solely rely upon just one security program but rather a combination of them. AVG in this light works very well, has caused no problem, is easy to use, is easy to maintain. I could not say that for AntiVir, and I gave it more than an ample try over an extend period of time.

Thanks
    Wildman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.