AntiMalwareBytes run as administrator in limited account?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by GrammatonCleric, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

I have Win8 and Win7. I have installed Antimalware bytes as an administrator under administrator account but I use regular account for everyday stuff. However, each time the antimalware bytes loads under my regular user account it has "regular rights".
    So each time I do the scan I get the "LIMITED" under the scan summary in the user rights and I can't manually update it.
    I have to manually kill AMB and right click on the desktop icon and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR in order to manually check for updates or even run a admin scan.

This is a pain in the ass and most importantly the way the AMB loads by defuault is a security vulnerability. Since what if a rootkit escalates it's rights to admin? then AMB won't be able to find it.

How do I run AMB as admin under regular user account by default?

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I have never heard of AntiMalwareBytes? Do you mean MalwareBytes (MBAM)? :doubt:

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Antimalwarebytes?
    Sounds a bit iffy to me.:cautious:

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I searched Google and there's no such thing as "Antimalwarebytes"
    Only results showing up is from people that have written Antimalwarebytes when they actually meant MalwareBytes. :D

5. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

Re: MalwareBytes run as administrator in limited account?

Sorry was rushed what I meant was Malwarebytes.

I mentally mixed super anti-spyware with malwarebytes.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Do you mean startup or manual loading? If you mean startup, then you can create a new Task Scheduler task that runs with highest privileges, startup or log on Trigger, and specifies MBAM in Action. Also you can create a shortcut to it. No UAC prompts.

Otherwise you can change the properties of the shortcut (Properties > Shortcut > Advanced) or file (Properties > Compatibility) to Run as administrator. There will be a UAC prompt requiring your admin password though.

7. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

The question is is it malwarebytes free or pro? If pro then i run it a standard user account with updates set to realtime.So i have no problems with it and i have scheduled scans as well so i am never bothered by it.

If its free then what JL said should work for startup which would be pro which as i said earlier works in standard account without any inputs .You will be asked for the password in case of free version which is manual loading so i dont see the point seeing that its what you want to avoid.

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No problem, we just needed to make sure that you didn't use a new rogue :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.