antihook free for home users

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by zorro zorrito, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Hi Hekx :)
    I am using PG Free.

Thanks Chris, it seems to be playing along nicely with PG and prevx.
    A couple of questions though, how long would you recommend using antihook in fingerprint mode.
    And does it give adequate protection if i use antihook permanently in fingerprint mode o_O

2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I would use fingerprint mode only for a short time. Maybe run all your frequently used appz and do some common funtions in them land then turn it off. I would try to use this mainly on a fresh system if possible.

There is no protection in fingerprint mode. Fingerprint mode is basically like learning mode. It will let everything happen so there are no alerts but saves them so you get no prompts later. This saves user much time clicking on alerts of known good items but will also let known bad items operate without warning.

Hope this helps,

Chris

3. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Indeed it has helped.
    Thanks Chris :)

4. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

There is no reason to run AntiHook alongside PG and Prevx . This setup is redundant and no overlap at all , from what I can tell .

5. Chris12923

I can't answer this at the moment as I have not used Prevx Pro. But I am a registered PG 3 user and there is things that AntiHook catches that PG doesn't but again i am not sure about Prevx. I can assume HollywoodPC is correct though.

Sorry can't help more with this one,

Chris

6. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Assuming you are using PG Free version, Antihook would provide at least some of the protection such as global hooks which the full version of PG does. Theoretically you would then have a very strong IPS defense for free. I think I would avoid going down that route personally because then you are running yet one more app in resident, but if it's working for anyone out there you can't really complain.

7. monsunami

monsunami Registered Member

Too bad I had to uninstall. Very promising product. Hope a new version with a launch monitor and better startup handling comes out soon.

8. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I have stated that IF you use PG PAID , no need for AH . So , yes I do use PG full . I am here to try to help . I have no questions on this subject . Thank you anyway .

9. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

I agree, if you have the full version of PG there would be no point, I was not addressing you personally, I was thinking there might be some who would want to use it alongside PG free.

10. NormanTebbit

NormanTebbit Registered Member

Hi there,

hope you all don't mind helping out a novice...

what is antihook for (in very basic terms)? what are hooks?

how would you go about explaining them to a typical PC user?

I realise I'm asking a lot, but any opinions/advice would be gratefully be received.

Thanks.

11. Chris12923

AntiHook includes a detection system that allows the user to monitor and stop unauthorized activities such as:

Injecting code through system-wide and local Windows Hook DLLs, launching ActiveX/COM modules, mapping Browser Helper Objects in Internet explorer and Windows Explorer
    Modifying an area of memory that belongs to another process
    Executing code in another process
    Attaching a debugger to another process
    Starting a new programs from within MS Outlook, Outlook Express and Internet Explorer

Here is an in depth article by Ivo Ivanov a developer of AntiHook http://www.codeproject.com/system/hooksys.asp.

Hope this helps and please feel free to ask more if needed.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  12. controler

controler Guest

After installing this program, My Firefox won't load o_O

Bruce

13. Chris12923

Maybe reset AntiHook rules to default and see what happens just in case you blocked something that shouldn't be blocked. Either way please post back and let me know so I can try to repro this issue.

Thanks,

Chris

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I will admit I didn't give it much of a chance but after it had been on my computer about fifteen minutes I realized I didn't need a program that negatively affected so many other installed programs.

bigc

15. Chris12923

Can you give any more specifics on what programs it negatively affected?

Thanks,

Chri

16. controler

controler Guest

Cris

It is early & I have not had my coffee yet today.

After installing there was so many popups it was driving me crazy.
    BUT I either allowed or clicked the fingerprint button.
    I am affraid even though it might seem a good idea to have all the pop ups,
    I think most people will become annoyed in a hurry.
    The program does look good however and seems to do a good job.
    I had to unplug my power cable to shut down last night.
    Then when I turned on the computer this morning, I got a Spysweeper alert saying Spysweeper was conflicting with another program and was turning off some of it's own protection to stop any worse conflicts. Now That is something isn't it? When another security software is nice enough to shut some of it's protection off and let you know there is a problem? :D
    Here are the shields Spysweeper shut off to protect the integrity of the OS
    IE Home page shield
    IE Search page shield
    IE Highjack shield
    Spy Install shield
    & last but not least
    Windows messenger service shield

Hope this helps

Bruce

17. Chris12923

Thanks controler. I appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chris

18. monsunami

monsunami Registered Member

yah, it needs a lot of tune-up to be a program for "home users".

Problems are:

1) antivirus, firewall, and startup programs knocked out after install/reboot.

Found out it actually blocked some services from loading. Had turn on fingerprint mode and ran programs before next reboot. My firewall and antivirus now works but other startup programs still won't load. So, back to fingerprint mode and then tried disabling and renabling services, running programs from my start-menu folder, etc. Will most of them work after next reboot but still some refuse to load such as erunt reg backup and etc.

2) after installation and reboot, must click on allow and remember choice on a popup for some windows process (forgot what it was) as quick as possible. If I hesitate for more than 5 secs. Windows xp will freeze up and I have to manually reboot the computer. After reboot and allowing the process quick enouth, everything seems fine.

3) Everytime a new process or program wants to run it shows up a popup. However, no matter how fast I allow it or activate fingerprint mode there is a long pause (computer slows down bad). Then the computer comes back to normal speed and whatever I allowed such as installs or whatever runs. I even let fingerprint mode for 3 days trying to alleviate this problem. This isn't too much of a problem but I am used to how quick process guard allows or block stuff.

After uninstall, my computer runs fast and everything returns to normal. Looks like I am back to prevx home for now.

19. fannymites

fannymites Registered Member

Can anyone tell me if this app is still being developed?
    I only ask because the site has been dead for several days.
    I downloaded the program about a week ago but never got round to installing it til a couple of days ago.
    After spending nearly 2 weeks trying out different security apps I had stability problems/crashes with all of them (mainly because of Objectbar) but this one has been perfect. No crashes, no hanging on startup, no sudden freeze-ups.
    It's just what I've been after.

20. Arup

Arup Guest

I guess they have either stopped the entire project or moved to a different web site.

21. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

After opening popups for that site it was possible to get the download.

Gerard

Attached Files:

22. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

althought pg is better than antihook, its a good idea to use antihook alongside pg free. does anyone tried doing so? do they work well together?

23. t.b.x

t.b.x Guest

I tried it and so far it seems to be ok. But is there any more to the helpfile (AntiHook_Release_Notes.txt)? It seems too short to be of much help.

And please change that tray icon. It looks like a demon eye starting at you.....really kinda creepy.

Thanx.

24. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

I'm about to post information at another board about this app in their "freeware forum" I'm not so sure I want to install this as there may be conflict or too much overlap without any added protections. So I'll have nothing to tell them but "untested" unless I refer to this thread. As my defense lineup stands (on this particular pc) does anyone see any conflict or benefit? :

Resident:
    1. PG - full
    2. Prevx - home
    3. Snoopfree
    4. Unhackme
    5. Regrun
    6. Outpost pro
    7. NOD32
    8. BlackIce
    9. Samurai - only the anti-rootkit activated

On demand:
    1. Ewido
    2. TDS-3
    3. Counterspy (just expired)
    4. spybot
    5. Escan free

Not active but installed
    1. Winsonar
    2. Regwatcher

25. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

how does blackice work alongside outpost? and why not run one AT as resident?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.