antihook free for home users

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by zorro zorrito, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

I hit apply after changing the rules and it works fine.

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I un-installed it. The fact that it wouldn't let TDS-3 start correctly under any conditions was enough for me.

Y'all have fun! :D Pete

3. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I'm sorry to hear that Pete. Do you get any errors at all or does TDS-3 not do anything? Does anyone else have this problem? If so please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

4. Chris - As I mentioned in post #72, TDS-3 would only get as far as trying to do the memory scan and simply hang - no error messages, no requests from AH for anything. TDS-3 is back to starting up with no problem now that AH is un-installed.

I don't start TDS-3 automatically with the computer, so it definitely wasn't a "butting of heads" with both trying to start simultaneously.

If I could have worked AH into my present set-up, I'd've been glad to stick with it - but not at the cost of removing core defensive programs already onboard that function happily with each other.

Good night all. Pete

5. Chris12923

Strange Pete I just installed TDS-3 trial and ran a full scan with latest Radius file and everything went fine. I wonder what might be causing the problem on your PC?

Thanks,

Chris

6. Ivo

Ivo Registered Member

Hi All

My name is Roger Pegler. I’m the Business Manager for infoProcess. I’m posting this on behalf of Ivo Ivanov, the Development Manager.

We have had a great response so far to AntiHook, and it’s great to see the discussions going on here in this forum. We appreciate your feedback, especially from Chris.

We will endeavour to answer your questions and address any issues you have face with the product.

One repeated question is that of how long will we keep AntiHook free for home users. Our target market is corporates, so our intention is to keep the home version free.

We have some exciting product announcements coming up. One I can share is that we expect to release version 2.5 (renamed from 2.1 due to features) in the near future. There are quite a few changes and enhancements - including the incorporation of LaunchMonitor functionality (ie detect and prevent starting and loading processes) and a link to the free registration web page.

If you have any suggestions or requests please feel free to let us know.

Regards
    Roger

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  7. anti-spy

anti-spy Guest

Thanks for posting Roger Pegler (aka Ivo). That is very good news indeed! I'm really looking foward to the new release of AH. This is looking to be one great program! :D

8. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

hi.. is it possible t have "lighter" alerts?

they're kinda confusing at first [they're not using the local jargon, but they use Win programmer jargon IMO]... also slightly heavy to load and look at.
    PG alerts seem to be an excellent referemnce point... I saw the Pro version twice this week.

Thanks.

9. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

That's excellent news that it will remain free. I have got PG on my computer now though and will be upgrading to the full product. I don't really like installing and removing programmes like this so better to stick with what I have now I think. I know I don't have any issues with PrevX, with AH being so new it'll probably need a few things ironed out before the less experimental of us want to dive in. If I didn't have PG free already on my pc I would probably give it a go. I doubt running too many of these programmes at one time is a good idea. If anybody's doing it I would be interested to hear how they are getting on. Congrats on putting this on the market though, it's definitely filled a gap for freeware fans.

10. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Until I can see and hear more on AntiHook , I must say you are better off with PG . Simply because we know what it does and how deep it goes . AntiHook seems like a really nice product but , from what I see now , it does a few of the things PG does and no more . Like PG is more advanced and I see no overlap as of yet . I will watch this one though

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  11. controler

controler Guest

I can install this program but when I go to register it pukes.

It won't let me open it again o_O

Bruce

12. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Hollywood, I don't like to install programmes without thinking long and hard, because un-installing them can sometimes be a messy business. Antihook looks like a decent prospect, but having installed PG and observed it's efficiency I don't want to get rid in a hurry. It works beautifully with everything else I have on my pc, and it's a tried and tested programme. AH could well make similar strides so it's worth a shot for those who don't run any similar programmes already. For me, PG and PrevX Home together is a proven combo, and they are seasoned products. That counts for a lot to me, the two pc's I run I don't really want to take any chances with :)

13. Chris12923

Please submit this to info@infoprocess.biz and tell them what is happening in as much detail as possible.

Thanks,

Chris

14. Chris12923

I'm glad you guys have taken the time to look at AntiHook and to see what it does. The new release as you have seen above should be nice. I will post here when it is released.

Thanks,

Chris

15. Howard

Howard Registered Member

You've shocked me here. Is Prevx really a seasoned product? I thought the clumsy way it messed around with programmes at startup - arbitrary and unpredictable on every boot from what I experienced - and the Norton A-V like way it dragged on performance (loading a MS Word doc with Prevx running was so bad it made me think I was running NAV again *shudder* ) made it clear this was a program with high aspirations, but needed much more development. I understand a major new release is due soon that addresses some of the very many problems this program has.

16. hollywoodpc

the last upgrade helped alot of what you are talking about . Strange you still had the problems . Some software does not agree with some people . And AShaR . I was in agreement with you . If you have PG , NO WAY remove it for AntiHook .

17. Howard

Howard Registered Member

The upgrade I am referring to is the same one that is referred to in the official Prevx forum and has yet to be released. ProcessGuard yes, Prevx o_Oo_O?

18. Chris12923

I agree with you as well. AntiHook and ProcessGuard are two different animals at the moment. If your looking for a product that is free and does good things and is improving very quickly than AntiHook and LaunchMonitor are the way to go.

Thanks,

Chris

19. hollywoodpc

This is what I was saying Chris . AntiHook looks great ! But , right now , I do not think there is even a question . But , as we know , that can change VERY quickly . Thanks Chris ! Take care

20. Chris12923

Ain't that the truth :)

Thanks. You too :)

Thanks,

Chris

21. Tony

Tony Registered Member

So if i`m already using PG and Prevx, then there is no need for me to use Antihooko_O

22. Hekx

Hekx Registered Member

I would think so. Are you using PG free or paid?

I'm looking forward to the new AntiHook, having the Launch Monitor features integrated should be a nice addition.

23. Chris12923

It should give you some added protection. Please try and see what happens and let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Chris

24. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

PrevX has been around a while now, if it didn't play well with your personal set up doesn't really change the fact that a lot of users run it alongside PG without any problems. One of the main reasons I installed it was because I have read so few complaints about it being incompatible with other programmes. This review of IPS software is an example of what I am talking about. http://www.techsupportalert.com/intrusion-detection-p2.htm

Most programmes have some flaws to iron out to begin with, it was the same for PG and PrevX. I'm pretty sure that Antihook will also improve in leaps and bounds, I would think it's a great option for many people. Myself, I've installed PG now and don't really want to uninstall it after running the programme in, this has nothing to do with my opinion of Antihook as I haven't used it. I will certainly watch it's progress with interest though, I think it's great that they are offering this package for free to home users.

25. Howard

Howard Registered Member

"There are some definite areas that we are working on to improve performance, specially relating to start up and to other apps that scan/read areas that Prevx is protecting, as you mention. Both our development and testing teams are focussed on this, we have a fairly big release coming out end March/early April 2005 that we expect to have significant all round performance improvements."

http://castlecops.com/postp473183.html#473183

Anyhow, this is offtopic for this thread so I will say no more about Prevx here :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.