Anti-virus software suitable for dial-up?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Biscuit, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Small signature updates is the main criteria. Dr.Web and Kaspersky (sans program updates) satisfies the condition IMO. Avast is good too........

2. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

I'm with Firecat on this one. He summed it up nicely.

On dial-up or slow WIFI links, the two AVs with smallest/fastest signature updates that I have experience with are Dr.Web and Kaspersky. Avast isn't bad either.

3. 84jds633lf7

84jds633lf7 Registered Member

I'm one of those dudes still on dial-up. :oops:

NOD32 is my pick for dial-up.

4. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Good to have someone here with full insight. ;)

5. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

About my ostensibly stupid remark about the needlessness of AV/AS on dialup, this holds mainly for US dialup ISPs, and it is out of necessity for the ISPs themselves. Worms, trojans, viruses and links in spam as well as the spam itself, attenuate the bandwidth of the proxy servers used by the ISPs. So most began using antispam, AV/AS and even firewalls to keep theirs servers from being overloaded. I was surprised to see that without a firewall, the GRC tests showed that most of my ports were stealthed, all others closed, and NONE open! So much for cable!

All I'm using now is SAS paid to check my downloads, which could be done with ClamWin free now that I think of it.

Dave

6. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Thanks, Prevx is a cloud product & although excellent, is unsuited to dial-up. Nod32 has a big initial sig update. :doubt:

7. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the advice & insight. I'm going with Avast for my dial-up customers. :cool:

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

That depends on how long it's been since the time you install it and the time the last build was released, but yeah I see your point. ;)

Prevx I meant more because of the small initial download, but you're right I don't think dialup users would be always connected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.