Anti-Virus Programs

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wpdmc, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Are you trying to compare the real-time performance impact between avast! and AntiVir? please remember that, by default, avast! has about 6 providers (real-time file, HTTP, network, e-mail, P2P, IM scanner) while AntiVir Classic has only 1 (real-time file scanner) so it doesn't fair because of this reason. I think avast! would generally use more resources than AntiVir by default installation.

I don't know how many avast! providers you installed but you can install just only 1 provider (that's Standard Shield, real-time file scanner) to see if avast! impacts more or less than AntiVir in real-time performance.

I used to install avast! on an older machine (Celeron 2.2 GHz, RAM 128 MB, Windows XP Home), if all providers installed, it causes a noticeable slowdown, but if I install only 1 provider (Standard Shield) then avast! causes almost no slowdown and the machine runs smoothly without any problems.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

To be precise 7, as e-mail scanners are two Internet mail and Outlook. Am I right?

I use Avast and Antivir both with Rollback in different snapshots.
    Avast with default installation and 6 scanners( outlook scanner off) memory usage is about 20 MB.
    Antivir with default installation it is about 25 MB
    So I don,t think taht it is a too big difference.

Does it mean that protection offered by Antivir is too limited as compared to Avast?

If u do a standard default install for Avast, can you turn off some of these scanners permanantly from the settings and how many scanners infact we need?

Again as I told it,s just a difference of 5Mb approx in Avast and Antivir, so why bother!

3. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Rivalen has posted the best fix on this Thread:
    AntiVir avnotify Fix
    You can also deny avnotify.exe with your Firewall. Removing, altering or renaming avnotify won't help as Update will just fix it for you.

For setting your Heuristics, open 'Confiruration' tick 'Expert' and click on the [+] by Scanner and Guard.
    Then you will see the lines 'Heuristic' under each, click them and tick the settings you want.

I tick Macrovirus and Win32 with High detection level, this will give greatest likelyhood for
    False Positives, but I would rather a chance to determine if a flag is false than miss a true.

Be sure to set "Action on Malware" to "Copy file to quarantine before action".
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you have both Avast and AvtiVir, be sure and turn off AntiVir's "Guard" or Avast's version of Guard, to not have problems between them.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks, that seems a more simpler solution to me.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think it is 15 minutes minimum.

Edit: It,s really strange. I remember today hours ago when I checked it was showing "minimum 15 min" but now I checked, you are right, it is 1440 min. I am sure I was not hallucinating. Weired!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  6. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

Seems the "German forum fix" that I copied only does it for XP Pru users?

Also first stopped it with FW but got another reminder then that i couldnt get rid of.

If you run Process Guard you should be able to stop avnotify through security - deny always.

Best Regards

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I didn't try the "german forum fix" but when I ran AntiVir, I'm on Win2k, I simply right clicked on 'avnotify.exe', selected Properties, then Security, then Advanced, and set the properties to Deny Execution for all users. This worked fine for me here on Win2k. Don't know if it works for XP too, but I would guess so. Should be good on any ntfs file system.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That,s better option but I don,t find this option on XP Home SP2.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hmmm.. well I'm not familar with XP so I can't say there.. after you click on the Properties->Security->Advanced tab there is another option to View/Edit each user account. That's what I used. Might just be good for 2k then...

10. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

THE MOST POWERFUL SECURITY PROGRAM FOR WINDOWS
    Supports Microsoft Windows 2000, XP, 2003

ProcessGuard is a powerful new cutting-edge program that greatly increases
    the security of your computer by preventing processes from being able to attack
    each other. It is considered by experts to be a must-have program for all users
    of Windows, and is the only program available that can prevent the
    infection of all known rootkit trojans. The first and best anti rootkit software

Rootkit protection and prevention. Now THAT'S a powerful defence in itself!
    ProcessGuard blocks rootkits, prevents spyware, and guards your computer from DLL trojans... But there's much more ...

WHAT IS PROCESSGUARD? ...
    Introduction - Why ProcessGuard is the most important security layer on your PC
    Here is a description of just some of the attacks that ProcessGuard blocks!

READ WHAT CUSTOMERS ARE SAYING! ...
    Some of our customers admit they're hard to please, but
    they're also the first to acknowledge quality when they see it! Quotes ...

QUESTIONS? ...
    They may already be answered! See Frequently Asked Questions

DOWNLOAD ...
    Download now to secure your system and start taking full advantage of
    exclusive features and protection methods not available in any other program...."""

Copied from Rivalen's post on AntiVir Forum:

"Take a look at Process Guard - free - security software for Win2000 + XP.

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/

Should stop Notifier (dont know why I didnt think of that myself from the beginning).

Start with a clean system and run in learning mode while teaching it what apps you use. Then untick learningmode.

If notifier shows without PG popup.
    Open PG - security tab - find avnotify - set it to deny always.
    If notifier makes PG pop the question - deny always.

Read their forums so you get an idea if you want this free HIPS.

Some say it pops you to death - mine doesnt - no pops för weeks - remeber learning mode when installing new trusted apps.

Much work to eventually kill notifier - but maybe it works and suites some of you guys.

Best Regards
    ..."

11. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

Aigle, your signature says you use PG. So have you tried to use PG to always deny avnotify.exe?

Best Regards

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sorry but I have to say it seems more like an advertisement for PG. Really on first look I thought it,s some spam posted by mistake, Otherwise it is good suggestion but as u told earlier any application control utility or firewall will do it. BTW I am not against PG, I like it though I use free version only.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Well said, but PG is working with Avast. As u see my signature, there is Rollback. I am using Antivir in another snapshot( my current working snapshot). Here there is no PG, so I am unable to check. But I think it will do the job.

BTW I have tried the fix told by Rivalen. I can do it by ZA antispyware- I am using its trial now but I want to do it from inside Antivir, without the help of any firewall or execution control utility.

14. Lawrence Connor

Lawrence Connor Registered Member

is this regarded as a useful review and info in this comparison?:

<snip>

I have tried a number including kaspersky personal last year

and more recently the bitdefender free version and trial of nod32

and am looking too get a paid version of what I hope to be the best AV

I also have used norton and mcafee in years past and don't want those now

the review @ link showed bitdefender top rated "gold" and then KAV "silver"

(nevermind the link as it was a rogue site I have been told)

I guess I can get a lot of different answers from different people but

I am looking to get a new AV right now and want the best

thank you in advance for any helpful suggestions or advice

15. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Does AntiVir do scanning on INCOMING mail?

16. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

In the payware version, yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.