Anti-Virus Programs

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wpdmc, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That,s nice. Give us feedback after a while, esp about updates.

2. wpdmc

wpdmc Registered Member

Some application files can be deleted after the installation without bothering the program. Can this be done with antivir?

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sorry, I have no idea.

4. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

Originally Posted by wpdmc
    Some application files can be deleted after the installation without bothering the program. Can this be done with antivir?

Are you thinking about the Notifier (avnotify.exe) that - for some people - popsup after a succesful download?

I think there is a solution to that - if that was what you were after?

Best Regards

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

ya, i really want to know how to kill this popup

6. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Just shows up around the end of every month to boost the enrollment over at Avast!!!:rolleyes:

When it first popped up on me at the end of January, it was followed by the infamous 'bugged' upgrade to version 7
    and I was lucky enough to jump to a conclusion that they were loading "Premium" and stop it.:eek:

If you rename or remove 'avnotify.exe' the updater will just 'repair' it on next update.
    Others have mentioned changing its Properties to prevent its running.
    I have just failed to grant it 'permission' in ZoneAlarm, I still see a 'warning' with a tick-box that has no relief.

______________here is a link to AV forum archive of when it first appeared..___________
    "For the past 3 days, each time I update, I get a pop-up: "AntiVir Notifier" that wants me to fill out a questionnaire for "The Big Lottery."

The questions are all in German language, but I used Babel to read & answer them. After all, H+BEDV provides me with a free, excellent antivirus, so I don't mind doing a bit of work on the questions they ask.

However, even though I successfully did the questionnaire, it continues to pop up every time I update. I thought that once I answered the questions it would stop, but it hasn't."_________________*puppy*

Just imagine if all the Services in aigle's sig did that!!!:thumbd:

AvNotifyWarn.jpg They can't even fit all their text inside their box:rolleyes:
    A check in "deactivate Notifier..." has no effect, at least the cursor 'jumps' to the [OK] button.

The last post in the AV Thread linked above mentions a 'Regedit';

Anyone ever try that method?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  7. wpdmc

wpdmc Registered Member

No, I mean delete the whole application file. I've done this with some programs and everything was okay. Then with others the program did'nt function properly,
    after the deletion. I was wondering if i could do that with antivir? wpdmc.

8. pilotart

If you are speaking of avnotify.exe, it should do no harm to delete it, there is also an avnotify.dll.

Do you have GoBack? or set a Restore Point in XP.

Save the files in a folder and remember where they came from if you encounter a problem.

If you watch how AntiVir Updater works, it compares files on your system with files on its net and installs what is needed, which would include your deleted files, on your next Update.:(

It will likely be a month before you see that PopUp again anyway, if history is any guide.:)

BTW problems have occurred from changing default entries in your Scheduler, best to un-check "Activated" and then "insert new job" and check it.

9. wpdmc

wpdmc Registered Member

No, i don't think that's it,it's antivir_workstation_win7_en_h. exe. 10,428kb application file. wpdmc. I have WIN.98SE.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's the install file. You can delete it if you don't think you'll need it for a reinstall again later..

11. wpdmc

wpdmc Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. wpdmc.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I tried Antivir for the last 2 days, only first update was bigger, others are small and without problems so far. Only thing I don,t like is this popup, can,t this be done silently like Avast.

The popup above mentioned post by pilotart appeared only once and I did not play with it yet.

Attached Files:

• avur.JPG
      avur.JPG
      File size:
      12.5 KB
      Views:
  13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

ya, so i need to edit as well.

14. wpdmc

wpdmc Registered Member

I just had a small update, and the pop-up for the premium ver. was there. Also, it said download was finished, so i closed the program and the antivir guard
    icon disappeared. I had to reactivate it.

15. pilotart

That (Avnotify) PopUp has only been showing up at the end of the month for me, Jan., Feb. and Mar...

Only way to block is with your Firewall, tried changing some Properties (encrypted them) for avnotify.exe/dll and it just fixed it on next Update
    and then said to reboot to finish repair.

To have it Update invisible, uncheck (don't edit the default line) and select "insert new job" from the far left icon.

Go through the pages to name job "Invisible Update", type (update job), Daily at a time or an interval (currently 1440 minutes minimum) and I check "Start job while connecting..." and the next page will have a dropdown menu to select "invisible" and Finish.

It seems to cause problems if you try and edit the default scheduled jobs, but add a check to Activated to the one you just created and no check on original and you should not see the Update box.

It is normal for the Updater to remove your icon for five seconds or so during the update, but it should then reappear.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Nice remedy pilotart, I will try it, but I am afraid it may interfere with the update, and leave me unprotected unknowingly!

17. pilotart

Yes, in my case, I wanted the Updater in 'maximum' and edited the existing job to change from default minimized with the result of it not Updating at all.

Edited that back and used the "insert new job" to create the more detailed display on Update that I prefer to see. I even keep the Guard page visible down
    in the corner to see "Last scanned file".:cool:

On Her System, she has EZ-Trust (a 'fiddle the least' antivirus) and if I install AntiVir on her's (when EZ sub is done) I will need to set it to 'not be seen'.

Along with that, I will also set it to warn if it get's more than a day out of currency. If the PopUp's are still around, I will renew her EZ-Trust Subscription.

At the end of every Update, it says "stopping application to install..." and the icon disappears :blink: for five seconds or so and then reappears,
    head of list, on systray.

Would seem that you are without 'Guard' during this time, but have not seen the 'MS Security' Warning that is usually seen if you turn 'Guard' off.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No, AntiVir and BitDefender are designed this way, that they unload GUI after update. Engine is still running in background, you just won't see the warning in case you somehow get malware just in that very moment. Program will still block it properly (and quarantine it if you've set it this way).
    No need to worry about :)

At least i can confirm that for BitDefender, don't know for sure about AntiVir, but i guess it's the same.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So I see many issues if you try to change the settings for updates in Antivir. I will say it is a bit confusing for me. May be Avast more better then, nice background updates.

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What to do with the option "Decription of the job" see ---- above.
    Anyhow I did it and will see the results.

21. pilotart

I did nothing in that box (just left it at default ) AntiVir's original "Daily Update" had
    "Updates AntiVir every 24 hours from the Internet." in that block.

I can attest that it worked fine and did an Update for me with that 'inserted job' ticked.

Although you would never have a PopUp NagScreen from Avast, you would need
    to remember to re-register and AntiVir does that automatic for you.

From my research of Avast, it has more settings to select and would be more complicated
    to learn, not to mention the increased load on my system.

For me, Performance is the Key and if Avast offered the performance, I would learn to use it and
    coming from years of Norton, my system can take the load.

It is much appreciated that AntiVir bears such a light load and does such a thorough job.
    Who knows what the future will bring :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2006
  22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I put there Update job, it will work as well I think.

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I was just wandering to try my security software today while I went to a site crackspider.net, as soon as I loaded the page in IE, Antivir gave me warning of malware and I quarantined it. After that I rolled back and went to same site with Avast, no warning at all. Also Online Armor was silent.
    Here is the scan result by Jotti, seems to be a false positive?

Attached Files:

• 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      53.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2006
  24. pilotart

I have only just discovered that (on my backup Win98 system) the 'Scheduler' default entries are 'greyed out' with a check on Update job.

You can access 'Properties' but not 'Edit' or remove check.o_O

You can also create "new job" just as described above for WinXP Pro, but it will still run the 'default' UpDate upon creation of a DialUp Connection.

Also still seeing the NagScreen on Win98, Rivalen's Local Security Policy setting has it stopped on the XP system.:thumb:

Although this setting will give the highest rate for "False Positive" it has not been a problem.
    The only scan flags were on the Win98 System and it put two six year old CAB files ("install Outlook 98") in Quarantine.:D

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Update is now running in invisible mode. How to kill this screen that I get off and on?

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.