anti-virus has reported an error

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by backman, Jun 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backman

backman Registered Member

I have just started using NOD32, having migrated from Kaspersky AV, so this is probably due to a lack of experience with the program, but every attachment to an e-mail I have tried to open or send since installing NOD32, V. 2 (Word document and two .jpg's, which I made myself to send to my wife's parents), has resulted in the error, "The anti-virus has reported an error, the file cannot be checked for viruses." The only thing I am able to do is delete them. What is the problem here? Have I configured something wrong? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Terry

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Terry,

Welcome to the forum!

Not sure if I can answer your question (for sure some of the resident AV gurus will) but...

What OS are you running?

What Email Client are you using?

You mentioned "opening" as well as "sending", in what way were you opening?

Thx,

Dan

3. backman

Thanks Dan. Glad to have found this forum.

I am running WinXP Pro and my e-mail client is The Bat!

When I received the .doc as an attachment, I tried to execute it from within The Bat!, to preview it. No problems before with this. This is when I got the error message I referred to. I then tried to save it to disk so I could open it from there. No good again. I then stopped/disabled IMON, AMON and the only NOD service I could find and tried again. No go.

The sending refers to an e-mail I tried to send to my wife's parents with two attached .jpg's. As soon as I hit send, I got the same message again. Neither sending nor receiving e-mails has been a problem unless they contain attachments, then no matter what I have tried, it has failed.

Neither Kaspersky nor NOD v. 1, once configured, caused any problems. I really prefer the v. 2 interface/GUI to the v. 1 and would hate to revert, but...

Does this help any? Suggestions?

Thanks again, Terry

4. Dan Perez

Would it be possible to reinstall the BAT atop its current install? This is a stretch but it may be a possibility. I am going to see if I can replicate the issue here (I was always curious about that program :) )

5. Dan Perez

Hmmm, I didn't encounter a problem either sending or receiving but I don't have any plugins for the Bat installed, have you?

6. Dan Perez

just thought of another question :) ...

When you send and get the error does the error come on before, during or after the progress indicator?

Thx

7. backman

Good morning,

I'm just leaving the house, but to answer your last question. As soon as I hit the send icon. It doesn't make it to the progress indicator.

I'll check back here a little later, but my thought is to do a re-install of both programs, clean.

No telling how many times I have upgraded/installed on top of an earlier version.

8. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I'm not sure how KAV's email protection is set up, but did you totally disable KAV's email protection component before trying to un-install KAV, and have all of KAV's other features de-activated (or did you un-install KAV)?

Sounds like something from KAV's trying to hold on to email protection, thus denying NOD's components proper access. Pete

9. backman

Spy1,

You know, I wondered the same thing. I went back and uninstalled The Bat! and NOD32 completely (I had already uninstalled Kaspersky). Went to the registry and deleted every instance of Kaspersky, NOD32 or Eset I could find. Reinstalled The Bat! and tried again without any virus protection installed at all. I got the same message. Couldn't figure that one out at all. Re-installed NOD32 and tried again. Same message. Uninstalled everything again and installed two different e-mail clients I like, Calypso (unsupported now) and PocoMail. Then re-installed NOD32. Right now, they both work perfectly.

Seems like there has to be some setting in The Bat! or Kaspersky that is being retained and causing problems. I'm stumped!

I still need that Word document that I received and can't get to, but at least I have e-mail again.

Terry

10. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

That's very akward indeed.

Could you post a screen shot in regard to your IMON configuration?

Did you configure anything in The Bat! under "Options > virus protection, and if so, what exactly? Wouldn't hurt to contact ritlabs support on this one.

The dispatcher as available in The Bat! might possibly help you out here.

regards.

paul

11. Clive T

Clive T Registered Member

FWIW, I'm using TheBat, NOD32 and Win XP Pro and have never seen an eror message like yours. TheBat's forum is lively, with a number of contributors running NOD and, again, I don't think I've seen this kind of error mentioned there.

It sounds to me like a Kaspersky remnant causing problems - perhaps a TB plug in?

Clive T

12. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

Hi Backman,

Iam running ME and just downloaded theBat and installed it, just to see if it should give any problems like yours.

Iam running NODv2 and had no probs running the client, as well in receiving and sending..
    It probably is a KAV issue, maybe cleaning out the Registry of any leftovers might help.

Usually these large program's leave alot of garbage in the Registry, allthough uninstalled.

I used theBat as i have downloaded it, no plugins, just the bear client.

Can you tell me what POP3 port IMON is configured to, cause theBat is using, i believe, port 125 instead of 110, which is kind of standard.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help.

rgds,
    Martin.

13. backman

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay. I've been swamped and haven't been able to get back here for a few days.

I have finally determined that Kaspersky and/or my settings in The Bat! was the culprit. I could swear I removed everything from the registry referring to it, but a fragment remained and when I deleted it and changed settings in The Bat!, I seem to have gotten back to normal.

It's still a little strange, with all the uninstalls and re-installs I performed that some settings would be retained, but...

In the meantime I found an e-mail program I am starting to enjoy (Pocomail 3), so all is not for naught.

I appreciate all your help and suggestions. This is a great forum.

Thanks, Terry (backman)

14. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

Good to hear Terry, that this culprit has left the building. :D

rgds,
    Martin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.