Anti Virus for Imac

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rollers, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rollers

rollers Registered Member

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

If you don't care about Windows malware, the built in Snow Leopard antivirus is all you need. Tested with all [2] active malware, detects them all.

3. rollers

True for downloads, but perhaps not for malware via other media such as usb drives or cds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCKciRQQ_8o

Watch the whole video and it explains all. I have been doing my homework ;)

Just goes to show that sexy women can give you an infection :-D

4. Paul_E

Paul_E Registered Member

From a banking point of view download Trusteer Rapport for Mac's, it is software provided FOC by most of the banks.

5. emperordarius

Yeah, but I assure you you're never gonna get any kind of Mac malware from external media unless they contain cracked software. The only currently active malware delivery method is through downloading.

6. rollers

Each to their own. Some are happy to run without, I am happy to pay a little for the peace of mind.
    Who's to say who's right and who's wrong

7. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

Check out the McAfee beta site. They just announced their new mac Internet Security. Just downloaded it. Runs very light.

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Looks more like an advertisement to me.

9. rollers

Its the closest thing I could find to a review. However, I now have my new Imac and virus barrier is running very nicely on it, light and responsive. It was a bit of an unknown quantity until I put it on, but so far pleased with it.
    If it helps someone else make a decision what to use on their mac, then all well and good. And no, I am not advertising.

10. Paul_E

Paul_E Registered Member

Where did you find a good deal from in the UK?

Paul

11. rollers

Hi Paul, I have sent you a pm. Sorry for not replying earlier, but wasn't aware I had a pm myself.
    Regards Rollers

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

If it helps you feel safer w/o causing any issues then, that's all that matters. BTW, I didn't mean that you were advertising, i meant the Sophos vid sounded like an ad for their AV.

13. rollers

No worries,
    I think if I didn't run anything I would always be wondering if my bank account was going to be emptied.
    I guess I have been using windows for too long :D

14. emperordarius

I don't think it's really 'light', why don't you check out the RAM usage? I remember that VirusBarrier X5 used about 200MB of RAM when idle. It's a huge waste, especially on a Mac.

15. rollers

I have savage portions of ram here and it is really running light. If it runs and feels light then I am not too interested in its ram usage.

16. tipo

tipo Registered Member

kaspersky for mac

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hi rollers!

I would actually like to know the RAM usage as well since I am thinking about to install it on my iMac once it arrives.

So please, can you tell me/us the RAM usage of the X6 version?

Thanks.

18. rollers

I will happily...........if you can tell me how I check that on the mac.......sorry only had it 2 days and not yet used to it :D

19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

HAHA it's Ok mate. I don't have a Mac yet myself ;)

Lets ask > emperordarius I think he have got a Mac a little longer so he can tell us hopefully.

But I belive it's called something with TASK or so in OS X as well... if i'm not wrong :rolleyes:

20. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

Who cares about 200mb ram usage. Fine with me. I have 4 GB. As for Snow Leopard's ever so simplistic file scan of ONLY 2 files. Almost worthless and totally sub-standard. See here.

http://blog.intego.com/dl/VBX6-vs-Apple Security.pdf

While Mac's have not been hit hard yet, all it will take is 1 smart coder who wants to spend 2 weeks and write some code a lay it into some websites in an i-Frame redirect with the many Safari Zero Days that are out there and 1 guy can Pown tens of thousands of Macs. Just the way I got Powned and taken over on the Mac. I had a program that could tell me so. How do you know you are not "owned"? They no longer have Santa flying across your screen. They stay stealth.

Organized crime and state run automated hacking is now the norm. All "they" have to do is write Unix malware and the Mac is vulnerable. Go through these 115 programs and vulnerabilities that can be used against the Mac at will. This is just iAntivirus's threat base. I would think Intego's is bigger.

http://www.iantivirus.com/threats/

Professional penetration testers that use and know the Mac say use of antivirus for the Mac time has come.

I just got nailed last week with something that locked out my Intego scanner and disconnected iAntivirus definitions downloads. I got a warning through Intego that my recent 5 newly added security podcast the day before was going to a know phishing site and I had 50 plus window over window allow or terminate windows. I kept clicking like 30 of them at 4am in the morning after just waking up, so I did not have the patience like I should have had. I THOUGHT it was a bug in the new X6 version so I hit allow to let it pass. The next day I was locked out of Intego scanner and iAntivrus would not download new definitions. In that time my automated clone back up cloned the drive. So you guessed it, I had to do a virgin reinstall from scratch. ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ I downloaded malware through iTunes from these couple of seedy security podcast downloads. Granted, I am playing in the snake pit that others don't. It is only time that this hacker testing will bore them and will move to a famous site for fun. Simple way is to hack into a iTunes podcast download server (thirdparty for most podcasters) and lay in the malware and you are hacked.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2010
  21. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Go to Finder > Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor or use Spotlight and type in Activity Monitor.

I like to use iStat Menus.
    http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatmenus/

22. rollers

If my maths are correct its about 220 mb Not that I am worried about that as I dont know the programs running.
    For those worried about ram they are using.........go without av.
    For me its a small price to pay for peace of mind. Each to their own.

23. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well, 200MB in RAM usage for an AV is quite a lot, EVEN if I had 4GB or even 8GB of ram I would not my AV to use 200MB of RAM while idle, simple as that.

My current AV on Windows Uses 15-30MB of RAM wich is more of my liqour!

And rollers thanks for checking out the RAM usage for us ;)
    But of course if you don't feel any slowdowns or so in comparions with before you installed VB X6 I think you should keep it ;)

Anyway, I personally is very excited about Prevx's Mac BETA wich will be release in the next couple of months.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=257427
    And since Prevx is cloud based I belive it will be a little lighter than 200MB of RAM usage.

SweX

24. rollers

I agree Swex that Prevx should be interesting for the Mac. I still have a licence for Prevx and like the idea of cloud based AV.

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hopefully I got a Mac once the Prevx Mac BETA will be released so I can try it out myself :D

Otherwise, you can always try it out when it becomes available rollers ;)
    And tell us how it's running on your Mac.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.