Anti-Spyware?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by VinceAshbySmith, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinceAshbySmith

VinceAshbySmith Registered Member

Hi i'm new to Nod32, been very impressed so far!! Anyway is just having NOD32 fine or do i need another anti-spyware such as spybot s&d or a-squared? Plus are there any none conflicts with installing anti-spyware and NOD? Lastly is there a thread or post regarding best settings (maximum security) for NOD32 V3?

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

SuperAntiSpyware and Spyware Terminator are great and free. You dont need them in real time mode but it doesn't hurt to run a scan once a week. Each program may find something that the other one doesn't.

3. piranha

piranha Registered Member

Just need passive protection against spyware such as.....

SpywareBlaster protect your register, IE and Firefox from malware with no cost on cpu and memory :thumb:
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Immunization of Spybot is good too. :thumb:

A2..... forget it, i dont love it :thumbd:

Still waiting for a good and complete tutorial about v3 from a member here.....

I know this one but dont love it. All settings to maximum is too much for my old pc, with default setting it is ok :thumb:

http://my.opera.com/Stomyr/blog/how-to-install-the-new-nod32-v-3-x-and-configure-its-settings
    these settings seems too high. By example, see this post at number 34 response
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1157061#post1157061

and this tutorial forget a important warning about strict cleaning, have a look in nod32 Help index for "Strick cleaning" :

"If an archive contains a file or files which are infected, there are two options for dealing with the archive. In standard mode, the whole archive would be deleted where all the files it contains are infected files. In strict cleaning mode, the archive would be deleted if it contains at least one infected file, regardless of the status of the other files in the archive."

So, stick with default setting but if you customized setting, have a look in help files to be sure what you do !!

I made a little one for my french buddy
    http://www.internetaumax.org/TutoBase_nod32_v3.htm

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  4. poutine

poutine Registered Member

Superantispyware Free once a week. :thumb:

5. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hi Vince!

In my opinion it isn't necessary to have other antispyware. NOD/ESS provides good protection before all types of threat (firewall is very useful). But no program doesn't protect you 100%. You can't click on each bubble, link, pop-up window, ...

:thumb:

6. VinceAshbySmith

VinceAshbySmith Registered Member

Yeah i do realize that half of anti virus/spyware is about the user's common sense, for example downloading pirated software is bound to lead to something dodgey on your system! I only asked as i had KIS7 install previously (which was a complete nightmare btw!) and that couldn't tolerate any other anti-spyware on your system. From what i can gather NOD32 seems far more stable, less error/ bug prone, less resource hog and far easier to use than KIS7. I'm glad i switched!:D

7. Filter57

Filter57 Registered Member

i belive spybot only immunizes IE and not firefox, not sure tho.
    and yes some spyware beside nod is a good idea, along with firewall and also some additional spyware, antivirus programs that are not set on real time protection but you run periodical.
    And Kaspersky is good in detecting threats but it slows down your pc way more than nod v2 does.
    Also Kaspersky might be bit paranoid sometimes and can detect imagined threats.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  8. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

If you install some antispyware, you shouldn't have any conflict.

:thumb:

9. piranha

spybot and SpywareBlaster immunizes both IE AND Firefox

Lucas K

For many years i used Nod32, still got some spywares sometimes and I am a "safe" web surfer. First job of nod32 is against virus not malware, dont forget it ! Passive protection with Spybot immunization and spywareBlaster decreased a alot spyware infection in my pc. With only nod32, i will get many spywares for sure

10. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    That depends on your surfing habits...what do you online. I'm fine with just NOD32...I also use Firefox and Opera.

11. Dieselman

I agree. I have NOD32 and ZAAS on all the time. Nothing ever found and I surf alot. I also scan once a week with SAS ans ST and nothing ever found. Surf smart you should never have any problems.

12. poutine

Agreed and nothing more to add really. ;)

13. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

If you think that cookies and similar issues are threat, you are wrong. Do you know what is malware? Not only spyware, adware, but all types of threats - trojans, viruses, worms,... Do you think that NOD/ESS doesn't catch these threats? :rolleyes:

14. poutine

Not all of them NO ! Its always good to have another string for your bow. ;)

15. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

First of all, sorry for my poor English....

You right.... ! Except, to my mind, regarding spywareblaster and some spybot feature that is called immunization.

The explaination is in the fact that that kind of malware weapon used register to store dangerous URL...

Well, considering the fact that several hundreds of potentially dangerous URL must be stored on windows register, it is easy to imagine that impact is high on all internet explorer engine based application. That mean, web page will take much long time to appear and, one of other annoyance, using Office Outlook mail client, with html form mails, during mail composition (sometimes more than 3 secondes between keybord hit and form edition)

So, personally, I do not use anymore "register based" immunization (neither spybot immunization nor spyblaster technology)... And one other thing : I don't like at all last release of spybot !

Other tools are greats (and moreover, free...)

Oops, Just one word : it is very important to keep your PC safe and in good health...

So Once a week, it should be good to perform :
    -> Malware/Spyware detection (free tools), in realtime, NOD is great and sufficient !
    -> CCleaner or some equivalent tool to delete all temp and unused files and to clean prefetch (XP,...)
    -> Regcleaner or JV16 power tool registry cleaning and compacting
    -> Windows disk cleaning utility (windows accessory) (and restoration points cleaning - all but the last 2 ones).
    -> Disk defragmentation (files and MFT). Personally, I like DiskPerfect, but there are some interisting tools...
    -> And last but not the least : a complete system image (sector by sector) from the system partition to a external or second disk, viewed as backup disk...

Best regards

Regards

Phil

16. piranha

I have all confidence with the ability of nod to detect and delete trojan, viruses, etc..... but for other malware like spyware, adtracker..... i am not sure. The fact is that I used Nod32 for a while and spybot, adware and superantispyware always found some of them sometimes so..... Nod32 didnt catch them all !

For spybot, try this fix (beta but work well). Spybot start faster and run faster.

http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/beta/spybotsd15he-beta2.exe

Philippe_FR22

excuse my english too !

Do you mean spybot, SpywareBlaster and other applications like this SLOW IE and/or firefox because of the immunization in registry ?

In my experience, spyware slows surfing, not immunization.

17. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

hi Piranha,

Well to my experience, too, I noticed that immunization based on registry entries highly impacted html mail writting... I found many posts on web forums that deals with this annoyance... The black list method stored on registry is discussed and seems not to be the good one...

In fact the list of many hundreds of bad URL were in the registry -so increasing registry size and slowing down mail writting using Microsoft Outlook XP.

Regards

18. piranha

Give us some links of this posts about it. I can read french and english

I dont use MS Outlook but Mozilla Thunderbird. No problem here for mail writing

19. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

i have Spyware Terminator v2.1 beta
    and you can beleive it scanning speed is very fast in Spyware Terminator v2.1 beta

20. piranha

Sorry but Spyware Terminator is in this Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products list

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#products

21. Dieselman

Thats a false statement on there part. ST has been around for awhile now and is very trusted. I have been using it myself for years. Look at the top of the page. Last Updated: May 4, 2007................that says it all.

22. poutine

Its a pity you didnt bother to read it properly ,coz if you did you'd find that it didnt apply to the freeware companys Spyware Terminator.

Spyware Terminator invender.nl no trial version available - Please note that this is not the same program as Crawler.com's "Spyware Terminator," a popular freeware application [A: 2-26-05 / U: 9-7-07] ;)

23. piranha

ST or ST Invender, I dont know wich one he got !? Did he forget to write "Invender" ? No way for me to know....... The program name are the same or almost the same, be careful. Only proactivelover cant say wich one he really use, you cant

So I read it ALL properly, my post was a warning, just make what you want with it :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.