Anti-Spyware recommendations

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JVM, Dec 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JVM

JVM Registered Member

What do you think is a good choice for anti-spyware software? Right now I am considering Counter Spy, Spy Sweeper, and Aluria's Security System, but any other suggestions are welcome. The reasons for your choice would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Take BoClean or Spy Sweeper.

Both are top-notch anti-spyware programs.

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

4. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

If your system is clean now then "Online Armor" will keep it that way. It will harden your computer so nothing unwanted will be able to install. Give the 30 day trial a spin: www.tallemu.com

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I did not think that BOClean and Online Armor and similar programs were especially good for spyware. Instead I thought that a dedicated AS program such as Spysweeper or Counterspy were much better for spyware protection.

Am I incorrect in that thinking?

Jerry

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I don't know a good AntiSpyware that we can use without use a lot of useful resources...

So I only use them for on-demand...

7. toolbox22

toolbox22 Guest

Out of the ones you listed, I would go with SpySweeper. But like others, I only run it for manual scans, not realtime, because it sucks up too much resources.

8. JVM

JVM Registered Member

Since I've done so much reading on this forum, I may decide to go with Online Armor and keep SpySweeper for manual scans, as you suggested.

My whole thought process has changed dramatically since joining this forum. Looks like I'll be going from NIS, very simple to use, to NOD32, LooknStop, and likely OA, and I don't think it will be all that easy to set those up compared to NIS. It should be interesting :) especially uninstalling NIS so no traces interfere with the new software :eek:

9. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

You've made some good choices. Online Armor has a 30 day trial period and really isn't all that hard to set up. The support section is second to none. I usually get responses in an hour or less. I don't think Mike Nash ever sleeps...just takes brief-light naps...:cool:

10. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Or you could try some of the non signature based software such as Defensewall or Sandboxie to run your browser through.

Have an antispy such as Ewido as on demand.

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Aluria sounds familiar to me. Wasn't there a deal between Aluria and WhenU (= Adware maker) in the past ?
    Or is Aluria a saint now
    Nevertheless "Aluria's Security System" wouldn't be my first choice as suite :)

12. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I have completely deleted Aluria from consideration ;)

13. ErikAlbert

Wise decision man !!!

14. Notok

Notok Registered Member

My own preference is to use NOD32, Ewido, and Prevx1. They all catch spyware, plus they will all stop the more important things, including new stuff that hasn't been added to the database yet. Ewido is a bit of an exception to that, since it doesn't use heuristics in realtime, but they are putting in new stuff that's due out at the beginning of 2006, and they have an exceptionally large database of malware (roughly twice that of SpySweeper), and the true memory scanner and ability to get inside of packed/crypted malware are the more important aspects (the others do the same, but Ewido is best at that). Ewido and Prevx1 will also detect rootkits, and all do a good job of keeping you from getting infected in the first place.

15. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I'll have to check into Ewido. What are using each of the above for?

16. Stann

Stann Guest

You must also consider what type of spyware you are dealing with...is it adware/unwanted popups/etc? SpyBot S&D, SpySweeper, Ad-Aware and others recommended by others above are good choices.

Are you concerned about keyloggers? SpyCop, Anti-Keylogger and other so called "dedicated" programs would be best.

No single program can tackle all your spyware woes, but a solid combination of realtime and manual scanners could save you grief in the long run.

Personally, I run SpyBot, Ad-Aware, SpyCop and AVG.

17. ErikAlbert

My little contribution - preventing tools :

IE-SPYAD
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm
    A collection of infected websites for Restricted Sites of MSIE.

MVPS Hosts file
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    A collection of infected websites

Bluetack Hosts file
    http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=8406
    A large collection of infected websites

Hostsman
    http://hostsman.abelhadigital.com/
    A software for managing your Windows Hosts File - very simple and practical.

Warning : a large hosts file will increase the scan time of MS AntiSpyware beta1 enormously.

18. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Don't forget you can use programs like ShadowUser/DeepFreeze/First Defense very well for keeping the system clean. Of course they are not for everyone as they are specific in how they protect a computer (ie for some they're really good, for others they'd be a pain)

The basic idea being that at every reboot your machine will revert back to the moment either SU/DF was activated (so even if your machine gets infected, it's gone at reboot). To install a program (or make changes to the computer) requires deactivation of the program (which requires a reboot). First Defense ISR is similar but also different. That's a very very basic explanation, but you might find one of them useful for yourself.

19. Notok

Notok Registered Member

NOD32 for virii, worms, trojans, and some adware & spyware, Ewido and Prevx1 for pretty much everything but virii. Prevx1 gives the advantage of generic protection that can help you stop unknown things, along with an online database that gives you access to much faster updates and other benefits. Both Ewido and Prevx1 have massive databases. Ewido is best at removing things, should the need arise, Prevx1 is best at keeping them off (in my opinion/experience).

20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

VaMPiRiC_CRoW,

Considering on-demand only AS, do they not keep spyware from being loaded on your computer? If so it seems better to prevent spyware than to leave it until you scan.

Jerry

21. JVM

JVM Registered Member

Only active monitoring can detect spyware before it gets on your computer. I agree with you that prevention is better, but sometimes a program can miss it and another will pick it up via a scan, at least those are my thoughts on this issue.

Considering I'm no expert, wait for the experts ;)

22. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

To prevent spyware I use an AV (with spyware signatures), an IDS, a good Hosts file and protector, and my head to distinguish the good and bad... ;)

Nothing is perfect, but until now I never had any problem...

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks.
    Jerry

24. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I use WinPatrol, ProcessGuard free, GhostSecurity Suite, SpywareGuard, SnoopFree Privacy Shield, Arovax Shield, and SpoofStick and nothing else running realtime, as I found out that Anti-spywares that runs real-time on my pc slowed down my system and net speed. :p

But I have lots of anti-spywares use for on-demand scanning only... many of them already mentioned here by many posters. ;)

[MOVE]Happy New Year!!![/MOVE]

25. Arup

Arup Guest

Just scan my system with free Ad Aware and run Hostsman using all the four hosts, and as V_C mentioned, use my head and keep an eye out on my NetMeter which is the best tool to tell if someone is going out behind your back when net is not in use, for AV I depend on Avast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.