Anti-Spyware Help

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by firzen771, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I understand while mentioning BOClean Antimalware may not sound like it's exactly what the topic is about, remember we also talked about a-squared Anti-Malware, and so in that light it is sticking with the topic IMO. LOL. Hey solcroft. You may be right, but it seems a lot of people swear by this program, and not just in the Comodo Forums. I am of the school that perhaps an Antispyware isn't even needed with Firefox, and despite all my recent posts, (I just love trying out and talking about different security programs) I have decided to stick with Avast and ThreatFire, and maybe give BOClean a try. If it does what it claims it would make more sense to run it instead of an AS Program. What do you use by the way?

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

low-resource real-time AS, continue?

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Depending on configuration, your AV will be inspecting all files written to or read from your HD. When you attempt to open an executable file (that is run it ) the file will be checked by your AV, but if you run a program like AVG-AS or BOClean you get a second opinion, and an additional layer of security, as the file will be scanned as it unpacks into memory. Some files can attempt to cheat an AV by being heavily encrypted to disguise them, so it is useful to have this additional scan in memory to catch these baddies as they expose themselves. AVG-AS will in fact scan executable files twice, once as you attempt to open it, and once again in memory. I've never discovered whether BOClean does this initial scan or whether it is purely scanning the file in memory.

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

The engine itself, ask IBK

5. firzen771

ok both SAS and a2 are kinda high on resources, anyone know any others that are lower? something thats below my entire security suite(KIS7) which is only at around 20k max?

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have never found that either impacts my system except for SAS at start. If it does for others then I understand the objections.
    However, I often wonder if the objections to "higher than others" resources have a real value.
    As for me, I don't care what the resource usage is as long as I don't find an adverse impact on my system.

Regards,
    Jerry

7. firzen771

ive been looking at ST, its low resource usage, seems relatively effective, and its free, but it sounds kinda fishy, any thoughts about it?

8. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Actually, since a lot of spyware uses trojans to install, the mention of Boclean is appropriate.
    Everyone's PC is differently configured. So what might work well on someone else's might not work well on yours. So...
    Trial SAS. Note the resource use.
    Trial A2. Note the resource use.
    Trial AVG AS. Note the resource use.
    Same with Boclean. Same with SpywareTerminator. (Which I can tell you uses around 50 mb of memory for the realtime shield, but hasn't slowed down my PC at all.)
    See which of them works best for you when gaming/doing stuff, then decide.
    Easy.
    [EDIT] just seen latest posts..No, SpywareTerminator is not fishy. Many users, standard sort of EULA, can be downloaded/installed with or without the optional WSG/toolbar and Clam AV.

9. firzen771

ok ive tried all of those and AVG has been the lowest resource user BY FAR, its avg. at 10-14k while all the others are 30k+

10. firzen771

now on the other hand, now thatu have found the best realtime AS for my needs, if i decide not to go with realtime, whats the best free AS, i know no 1 AS catches all, but which free one has consitantly been considered as one of the best?

11. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

You are talking about for on demand scans only?
    Well, just before the thread gets locked, they all have the same scanning detection abilities as their paid-for versions. SAS, AVG, A2 are all widely considered good, all have their champions- perhaps with SAS having the edge, there. You could do worse than install them all. A2 and AVG (free) both run services, even when not open, if that matters. I don't think SAS does.
    ST's scanning and detection is improving heaps. I still think it's main strength is in its realtime protection, but it's getting up there.
    AdAware I wouldn't touch with a triple insulated and earthed bargepole, Spybot has its uses, the current release is a Beta. Each application has some tools on board that can do different stuff.(File removal, shredder, repair kits etc) Try 'em out.

12. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Just want to add this. For me using a-squared Anti-Malware with all its Signatures, along with its Heuristics and IDS for real Time Protection, even with higher memory usage, makes more sense than using AVG AS without anything but signatures for RT Protection. As far as for On Demand? SAS all the way. Now they can lock the thread. LOL.

13. firzen771

yeh, ive already got the info i need, thx guys

14. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I see, the new Comodo Firewall 3 huh? Cool.

15. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Looks like it beats ZA's triple for sure...tick...tock...

16. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

You rascal. I think you're stalking me. LOL. I did download Comodo and am thinking about installing it, but guess what? The new version of ZAAS came out. Now what? LOL.

17. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Thanks Topper.

In the end it looks like BOC is just another blacklist scanner. I just have one more question: how does BOC determine when the unpacking routine hands control over to the original executable code, and thus know when to start scanning?

18. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

ZAAS has a new, more configurable spyware-engine now, but Comodo is light as a feather. I'm torn too...
    P.S.-Did you check out the Give-away-of-the-day offero_O

19. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Yes first thanks to Kees1958 and then of course in here. I'd like to try DefenseWall, but it along with some similar apps like sandboxie don't float my boat for some reason. I believe it is a top notch program and Kees1958 almost has me convinced it's worth installing, but again I just don't know if it's my thing. I may as well give Comodo a try. 2.4 always ran well for me and uninstalled ok other than it sometimes remained in the Windows Security Center afterwards and I'd have to use the delete Repository Folder method to get rid of it. I'll wait another day and see how it's going for everyone else. It does look like some nice changes and fixes were made to ZAAS though. huh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.