Anti-malware Memory Usage; RAM, Virtual etc

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by get_it, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. get_it

get_it Registered Member

Hello,

I would like to know if there is an accurate method of measuring the total memory usage of a security application/product not only by observing RAM usage as this alone does not reveal the full story.

I've used the Resource monitor in Windows which does give a more accurate depiction of the memory in use; standby, free etc. but there isnt a break down of which component (process, driver etc.) is using exactly what?

I am concerned with this since i have tried several anti-malware solutions while running Win 7 x86 as a guest OS on my Win 7 x64 machine (host). I've allocated 1215mb RAM to my VM and my computer (the host) has 3GB RAM in total. I installed a trial of each anti-malware software on my computer and the guest OS in the vm (i.e. Product A installed locally on host and also installed in VM guest, then tested). Upon launching the VM certain anti-malware products would cause my computer to freeze, both host and guest. During the boot of the VM i have the Resource monitor open on the host machine, and examine the amount of free RAM available and certain anti-malware solutions which report a low RAM usage in Task Manager were in fact the ones which used most RAM overall when i fired up my VM which, also had the same anti-malware program installed.

So what gives? Where is the rest of the memory being used?

Regards

2. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Check the svchost.exe:s. You usually see an increase in RAM usage there.

3. fax

fax Registered Member

Also watch out for malware tools not supporting virtual machines.

4. i_g

i_g Registered Member

No, there is no accurate method.
    Long time ago, I tried to make some points about the futility of those attempts (here), but I guess it was a futile attempt itself ;)

Using a virtual machine is an interesting idea, but I'd say the interaction with the virtual machine, its own overhead etc... would affect the results a lot (compared to the "real" situation on a real machine).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.