Anti-malware in the upcoming Outpost Pro Security Suite

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Chubb, Feb 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Sounds possibly like Sophos.

2. joter

joter Registered Member

I hope now you understand my problem.

Agnitum were announcing "...Using award-winning VB100 technology licensed from a leading malware expert..." and the result is just VirusBuster. Even only for the signatures. It is even harder for all of us that they are developing their own engine. Just new starters.

Look at other companies like Eeye Blink that uses now the Norman anti-virus engine and I remark this that it is a state-of-the-art product (as it is also Outpost Firewall pro) or Zonealarm that uses Kaspersky engine.

Come on now, Agnitum. Be serious even if you think you know marketing better.

Regards
    joter

3. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi joter,

The combination of an Agnitum engine and the signatures of VirusBuster is a new thing and there is not enough history to judge how this combination would perform yet. When the final version is released and be tested, we will see how it will perform. I think the developers will continue to refine the engine and add more features to it in future versions. :)

4. joter

joter Registered Member

... and what we have now that final version is out?
    No Vista support, just VirusBuster on our heads.

regards
    joter

5. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi joter,

From where do you find information that the first released version of Outpost Security Suite Pro 5.X will support Vista? :rolleyes:

Yes, there is no Vista support for Outpost Security Suite Pro yet. It has been clearly stated in the recent Agnitum newsletters. The newsletter also clearly stated that a Vista version of Outpost Firewall Pro and Outpost Security Suite is in the works but a beta release date has not been given yet.

Let me quote the relevant paragraph in the newsletters once again:

Agnitum Directions (February 2007)

http://www.agnitum.com/news/agnitumnewsletter/issues/february2007/

Agnitum Directions (March, 2007)

http://www.agnitum.com/news/agnitumnewsletter/issues/march2007/

Please note that the anti-malware plug-in is ONLY a plug-in. I have no idea why Agnitum has chosen VirusBuster as the base of the signatures, but you can disable it or remove it if you don't like it. You can still use your own favorite antivirus software. Of course, it would be better if the installer allows to choose what components to install instead of disabling the plug-in after the installation, but it is what Agnitum has chosen to do for the time being.

If you don't like the Suite, you can use the Outpost Firewall Pro instead. Both Outpost Firewall Pro and the Security Suite will have a new version for Vista in the months to come.

6. joter

joter Registered Member

Hi Chubb,

The meaning of my post is simple.

Whatever Agnitum says about, it is obvious and everyone can think of it, that Outpost support on Vista is more important than spending resources on this useless Suite.

...and speaking about timeframes, if Agnitum says "Vista-compatibility is our objective for the second half of the year", they mean 1 year from now, as most companies do to their schedules.

Regards
    joter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.