Anti Hooking Style Programs and Gaming Software

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Thimu, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thimu

Thimu Registered Member

Hi all,

Im curious to know how programs such as anti hook and process guard and the like fare when it come to running gaming software. I remember having problems when one of my firewall blocked a port that a game was trying to access, freezing the machine. In the short time ive been playing around with Anti-Hook ive seen an explosion of notifications relating to seemingly insignificant actions. I would assume that many games make use of the API that these programs attempt to monitor, and so im wondering wether anyone has noted any detrimental effect on gaming software as a result.
    (Not really interested in comparing software here, just really want to know if anyone has had issues with kernel level driver based anti-malware software and games)

2. zoned

zoned Registered Member

Hi Thimu

I am sure they are mostly false positives but indeed it is a problem that has to be tackled.
    It happens with a lot of software, gaming software is probably your most used type of software.

There are other anti-hooking, antirootkit, HIPS type software that might suit you better.Ckeck out my sig....

regards

Zoned.

3. Thimu

Thimu Registered Member

Thanks, though im not really in the market for such software, im more playing around out of curiosity. Indeed they are false positives, probably due to the fact that I didn't run fingerprint mode as long as a could have, (but then again I don't think fp mode is a great idea anyhow, and its unlikely a gamer would play a game with it on either). It seems that most of these programs have the same problem with false positives which results in excessive notifications. Thanks though ill check out your suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.