Anti-Executable

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LoneWolf, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: hi, ajohn: I am not defending BlackIce or its master; IBM. I am here to point out few facts which may have been on the contrary as you wrote. First, BlackIce PC Protection is now and has been called as such for some time, the discreting reports you refer is ,IMO, outdated. The leak test was dated Jul10,2005 and it called BlackIce PC Protection as BlackIce Defender(old name in old times), are we in April 2007 now? 2 years is very long time, let alone speedy evolution in cyberTech. Secondly, BlackIce's outbound network control is NOT its default setting, user NEEDs to enable application control, then network outbound control(it is called communication control) can been activated as well. Therefore I am not surprised to learn that the TEST did not spot outbound control at all. As to its application control feature, I have a feeling that it may be at par w/ AE or very close to it. I did not test EL, so I can not comment on that, perhaps other members have voiced their concerns already?
    Again, it is not my business to defend BlackIce, IBM has plenty of manpower at its disposal to do so if it chooses. Why not d/l the evaluation copy and feel it yourself, it may have something you have been looking for. Have a nice day.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for the tip.

3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Sorry i've been to busy to test this app yet (work,sick dog,nagging wife,etc.etc.) Dog's getting better,wife's still nagging,but i see farmerlee and AJohn have been testing this one. Hope they answered your questions,I know they have educated me alot on this just by reading thier posts.read the web site too and started to read the white papers on it.
    Debaiting on weither or not to install.Any final judgements on exe lockdown from anyone?
    AJohn have you heard back from Horizon data systems on your suggestion on checksums?

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The only risk i see with exelockdown is the user manually executing some malware, so used alongside an antimalware scanner would be the best option imo. I'm actually still using it at the moment, just seeing how it goes in the realworld.

5. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Hi Farmerlee:

I know it will take a little time to form an opinion about the effectivness of execlockdown, but this thread has piqued my interest. What are your initial impressions with this program as far as footprint, compatibility, frequency of pop-ups, etc.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

ExeLockdown leaves its driver and associated reg enteries even after uninstall. I had to manually dlete all.

7. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I did not have to manually remove those ;\

I have not yet recieved an e-mail on my checksum suggestion.

8. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I have recieved an e-mail from the developers of Exe Lockdown:

"Comment(s): We are not developing Exe Lockdown further and it is available as freeware as it is."

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Well if the development of EL stopped, I don't need it. I'm glad I bought AE instead.

10. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

What .01% does it not remove? I wouldn't be happy with less than 100% removal.

-rich

11. ErikAlbert

If I talk about 100% removal they don't believe me. If I tell them 99.99%, they are glad it isn't perfect and leave me alone.
    Do you think I can change it safely in 100% ? ;)

12. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

No software is bullet-proof (at least from a theoretical point of view) but you can safely say that your frozen snapshot removes 100% of infections ;)
    I don't like rollback solutions, though.

13. ErikAlbert

If I create another snapshot, I have a computer like yours without rollback.

14. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

This is a no-win situation.

If I say "Yes" and someone proves it wrong, You can pass the blame and say, "He told me it was safe to change."

If I say "No" and you are proven right, you'll say, "I told you so."

Better to play it safe and say nothing :)

-rich

15. ErikAlbert

Well if I challenge them with my 100%, they might give me the proof that a frozen snapshot isn't foolproof and that's what I'm waiting for.

Unfortunately they keep on testing scanners as if there is nothing else. These scanner tests are always the same and there is always a winner and a loser.
    What is so exciting about that ? It's always the same and each test has a different winner, because the test bed is different. LOL.

16. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Well, I don't like snapshots :D I prefer virtual machines.

17. ErikAlbert

Can't be the same, I will ask Peter what the difference is, he uses both.

18. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I have BOTH! but FD-ISR snapshots are infinitely more useful to me and actually save more space and resources then VMware.

With POWER SHADOW! i don't need any VMware and is why it is just taking up space on a couple of my snaps.

19. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Everyone and their preferred method of testing.

I also think that virtualization is the way to go, as you can test interaction with different operating systems and different machines, which is not something readily available using snapshots.

Snapshots are rather linear. Virtualization allows you several layers of interaction between hardware and software.

Space? A complete XP OS install takes only about 1.5GB. A complete typical Linux distro install takes about 2.5GB. If you use only 20GB for virtual machines, you can easily have 6-8 machines for testing and that's a fair lot. Add snapshot feature for each machine, double that per snap.

Mrk

20. ErikAlbert

Can VMware be used for building an entire WORK environment for permanent use ?
    Seems to me that VMware is only good for testing all kinds of OS, Applications, etc.

21. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

RAM is not a luxury for me right now so there also is a matter of resources and i don't think you'll argue the point that VMware consumes some heafty resources.

22. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

No no not at all. Yes it is excellent for testing but there are also other uses and VMWare products.
    Of course. Overall VMWare can save on buying extra hardware. A VM could be built and work for any operational environment.

23. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

First. Erik I'll give you that you can use 100% with FDISR. WHen I can use it to rollback a Vista snapshot, to an XP pro snapshot, with no problems thats 100%.

As to VM stuff, I use it for both testing and for a few permenent programs I didn't want clogging up my PC. For testing purposes it has one ability that none of the Rollback programs have. I can even format the hard drive in the VM machine, and revert it back to a previous snapshot, and everything is intact. That is indeed a unique ability. It does help to have lots of resources. My VM machines are dual processor, have 1024gig of ram and have 2 20g hard drives. I can run this with virtually no impact on the host.

Pete

24. ErikAlbert

OK. I will put it this way. Why didn't you use VMware instead of FDISR to install your harddisk, because everybody says it's a replacement for FDISR. But you didn't use VMware, there must be a reason, why you didn't.

25. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

One thing i like about virtual pc over fd-isr is i can have multiple os's running at the same time and interact with them all. I also like that i can save states and then just resume from that saved state quickly and easily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.