another Windows Firewall Control?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by moontan, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

2. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

I read that article. To me, it looks like the whole scam is that they are selling fake/inexistent PayPal accounts to stupid people that think they can pay 3$ for an account loaded with 200$. It is enough to find 1000 idiots that give you 3$ and you make 3000$ without selling actually anything. Look at the email addresses and on the first column and the names on the 7th column. Also, have you seen the author's linkedin profile ? Let's be serious. Don't believe everything that you can read on the Internet.

3. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Thanks Alexandrud for your input, I will look again at this, but it isn't the first time Paypal has been rumoured to have been hacked.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  4. ThaiBerra

ThaiBerra Registered Member

There is a simple solution to what seems to be a big problem for you -
    If you can't afford the small fee to become a registered user and by that support the author who makes a great job with WFC and always support the users here at the forum - STOP USING THE PROGRAM!!

I'm very happy with the program and it's constant evolution!!

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Maybe you should knock that ten ton chip off your shoulder.:cautious:
    :ninja:

6. ThaiBerra

ThaiBerra Registered Member

I have a feeling that a continued discussion about this matter not will contribute
    with any benefits for the users of this forum. Therefore I rest my case and leave
    it to the users themselves to draw their own conclusions.

I wish you a good evening and hope that you someday, somewhere will find a
    nice free firewall controller with all the feature you could ask for. :D

7. therube

therube Registered Member

I agree.

If you (you, in a general sense, not singling anyone out) want to be a fanboy, that's fine. Like something, spread a good word, fine.

If a product offers free & non-free versions (pay, donation, or whatever) that is fine too. If a product has different features between a free & other version, so be it. If a product is pay only, with no free version, so be it.

But don't harp on someone because they have chosen one version (free) over another.

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

@Thaiberra.
    Look the sort of comments which you have been making have been totally irrelevant to this thread.I have made clear my position between free and paid versions.I do not believe in "limited" free versions and i would sooner the developers did not bother with them.If something is free then it should be entirely free and not some limited edition which trys to get you to pay for this and that.
    Limited software is FUD in my personal opinion and i will not stoop down to playground antics over this,my feelings have been made clear and concise on this.

9. focus

focus Registered Member

Well, from you sig I see that you use Sandboxie and Malwarebytes (as do I) both of which are "limited" in their free versions and most excellent in their paid versions, as is WFC, in my opinion. Hitman Pro, Macium Reflect and KeyScrambler are also on my list. The limited free version of software that transitions to a more fully functional paid version is a very common business model in the software business and one that I entirely approve of.

10. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Version 3.9.0.5 available.

What's new:
    - New: The notification window position is now saved on window closing and restored on the next reopening.
    - Fixed: Program crashes if the user chooses to "Open file location" in Manage Rules window for a connection generated by System.
    - Fixed: When the Rules tab is set to create "Outbound and inbound rules", the description of the inbound rule contains "Outbound" instead of "Inbound".
    - Improved: The service loading time was reduced with 90% by using a different mechanism of reading of the initial set of data.
    - Improved: The program can now reconnect to the service in case the communication channel gets in faulted state, without needing to restart the program.
    - Improved: Various parts of the code were improved to increase the execution speed of the program.

Installation notes:
    If you want to update to this version by using the updater, please execute the file with administrative privileges on the first run, otherwise the program will appear directly in the system tray, but without updating the service. This happens due to a small bug from the previous version which can't compare properly the version that is installed with the version that will be installed. If you do a clean install, just ignore this. Thank you for your understanding.

Download location: http://binisoft.org/download/wfc.exe
    MD5: 59095a67d064b48bd67be1b3cef178df

Thank you for your support. Your feedback is welcome.

The developer :)

11. Broadway

Broadway Registered Member

Thank you for the update, Alex.

This is what I experienced when updating:

I uninstalled 3.9.0.4 beta (keeping the rules).
    I installed 3.9.0.5 and set WFC to medium filtering with medium notifications (as usual).

I did not receive notifications for outgoing connections then.

I restarted my computer and still did not receive notifications.

I disabled the firewall by setting WFC to No Filtering...
    and then restarted the firewall by setting WFC to Medium Filtering.

From this moment on I received the expected notifications.

Just to let you know...

Apart from this short time irritation everything runs fine.

:)

12. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

I tried to use this firewall again, I believe it was 3.9.0.3 (the release before this new one),
    just to try it out again, and I received no notifications.

13. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

When you uninstalled the previous version, did you choose to keep your settings ? If the answer is yes, probably the following was happened: The uninstaller disabled the logging of Windows Firewall. When you installed the new version, your profile was already set on Medium Filtering profile. When you have set the profile, the logging feature was enabled again. This is why after you have changed the profile, the notifications worked again. By default, the default profile is Low Filtering and it assumes that the user will change the profile and this will activate the logging feature. I will change the uninstaller to not disable anymore the logging feature. Thank you for reporting this.
    Is the program activated and the Notification slider set to Medium or High ? Notifications are displayed only on Medium Filtering profile. Please provide more details about your configuration.

14. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

I have 2 PCs on a work group network which is Private.
    I don't ever use Domain or Public.

I'd like to be able to set all rules to just Private, (some Allowed, some Blocked).

Please add a function to 'Privatize' the rules:
    1) delete any rule that doesn't include Private
    2) change any rule that includes Private to just Private

Please add a function to delete all duplicate rules.

I uninstalled 3.9.0.4, keeping 'everything' and installed 3.9.0.5 and found duplicate rules. When I attempted to change some rules re: Domain to Enable + Block, the app let me Block them but refused to let me Enable them.

Thanks,

J

15. Broadway

Broadway Registered Member

Yes, I kept the settings when uninstalling. For sure you are right on this issue.
    Thank you! :)

16. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

I can add an advanced tab in the Rules tab from which the user can change the default Profile that is set for a new rule that is created. Instead of "Any", the user will be able to choose the default Profile: Private, Public, Domain.

To delete any rule that doesn't include Private, you can go to Manage Rules window and sort the rules by the Profile by pressing on the column header. Now, you can select multiple rules, and delete Public and Domain rules. There will not be a feature to automatically delete non-Private rules. This can be done manually by the user in a few seconds. Also, the conversion of the rules based on the profile will not be implemented.

Duplicate rules were probably the recommended rules that are created by the installer. Next time when you choose to keep your rules at uninstallation, please uncheck that checkbox from the installer that creates the recommended rules again.

It is difficult to delete duplicate rules because multiple rules can have the same name, and also multiple rules with the same purpose can have different names. It is the users's job to do the management of the rules because it is more flexible. I can define some criteria, but it may end up delete some rules that shouldn't be deleted. You can sort the datagrid and manualy manage the rules. How long it will take ? A few minutes.

17. myk1

myk1 Registered Member

Hi. I am a registered user. I run version 3822. What is the best way to upgarde to the last version? I would like -obviously- to keep all the settings. Thanks!

18. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

It was activated and set to Medium Filtering on a newly reformatted Windows 7 64bit computer no other security products installed.

19. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

The simplest way is to use the updater. Download the new wfc.exe. When the download is finished, right click on it and choose Run as administrator. The updater will launch and will update the files.

If you want to do a clean install and keep your settings:
    1. Go to Manage Rules window and manually delete any "WFC - xxx" rules.
    2. Uninstall your current version.
    3. On the uninstallation dialog, choose to keep your current settings.
    4. Install the new version from scratch and choose to install the recommended rules.
    5. That's it. So simple it is.
    So, the profile was set to Medium Filtering profile in the Profiles tab.
    1. The notifications slider was set to Medium notification level in the Notifications tab ?
    2. If you go in Manage Rules window and choose to display Recently blocked connection do you see anything in that list ? The same log items from that list are used to display notifications when they are triggered.
    3. Do you have any custom rules created ?
    4. Is the computer connected to the Internet ? If there is no connection, no notification is displayed because there is no connection attempt to be blocked.

20. newbiez

newbiez Registered Member

Browse to allow -> Rule will be added but after this wfc will be closed with seaching for a solution.

Event ID1000 Application Error
    Code:
    Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: wfc.exe, Version: 3.9.0.5, Zeitstempel: 0x5138ca45
    Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: unknown, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
    Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
    Fehleroffset: 0x071ddf00
    ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0xd48
    Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01ce1c49cdbba69e
    Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\Windows Firewall Control\wfc.exe
    Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: unknown
    Berichtskennung: 1f3cb329-883d-11e2-afa7-0018de6db077
    Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: 
    Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: 

Event ID1026 .net runtime
    Code:
    Anwendung: wfc.exe
    Frameworkversion: v4.0.30319
    Beschreibung: Der Prozess wurde aufgrund einer unbehandelten Ausnahme beendet.
    Ausnahmeinformationen: System.NullReferenceException
    Stapel:
       bei WindowsFirewallControl.Manager.CreateNewRule(System.String, System.String)
       bei WindowsFirewallControl.Views.ManageRulesView.BrowseExtension()
       bei WindowsFirewallControl.Views.ManageRulesView.BrowseToBlock(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
       bei System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
       bei System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
       bei System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
       bei System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
       bei System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick()
       bei System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
       bei System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
       bei System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseLeftButtonUpThunk(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
       bei System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
       bei System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
       bei System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
       bei System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
       bei System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, System.Windows.RoutedEvent)
       bei System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
       bei System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
       bei System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
       bei System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
       bei System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
       bei System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
       bei System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
       bei System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(System.Windows.Input.InputEventArgs)
       bei System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(System.Windows.Input.InputReport)
       bei System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr, System.Windows.Input.InputMode, Int32, System.Windows.Input.RawMouseActions, Int32, Int32, Int32)
       bei System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr, MS.Internal.Interop.WindowMessage, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
       bei System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
       bei MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
       bei MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
       bei System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
       bei MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
       bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
       bei MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
       bei MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
       bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
       bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
       bei System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
       bei System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
       bei System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
       bei System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)
       bei WindowsFirewallControl.App.Main()

21. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

1. Does this happen with all programs that you try to block by browsing for the files ?
    2. If you browse to allow, the same crash occurs ?
    3. If you try to create a new rule by clicking on the window, does it work ?
    4. If you try to create a new rule from Manage Rules window, does it work ?
    5. Did you use a previous version of WFC ? With a previous version, did it work ?
    6. Do you try to create a new rule from a path from an encrypted folder or drive ?

22. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

That would be perfect Alexandru, I've done the other steps as you suggested but know that without the above enhancement I'd have to continually keep adjusting things. Being able to limit to Private, I'd just delete rules and then wait for them to be re-created.

Thanks,

J

23. newbiez

newbiez Registered Member

1. Does this happen with all programs that you try to block by browsing for the files ?
    Yes, all my five rules was created under this circumstances. Got always this error.

2. If you browse to allow, the same crash occurs ?
    Yes, both rule creations browse to block and to allow.

3. If you try to create a new rule by clicking on the window, does it work ?
    No problems, this method works.

4. If you try to create a new rule from Manage Rules window, does it work ?
    I create always this rule from manage rules window. But this makes no difference. Also with the tray menu same error.

5. Did you use a previous version of WFC ? With a previous version, did it work ?
    Can not remember exactly, but suspect previous version was 3.8.0.2 and this version was ok. At first step i had updated from 3.8.0.2 to 3.9.0.5 and got this failure. After this i tried to solve this by testing my initial win8 image and make a clean install of wfc. Same problem.

6. Do you try to create a new rule from a path from an encrypted folder or drive ?

No, all files was in program files from win8 there is no encryption.

24. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

I uninstalled 3.9.0.5 choosing to revert to the default Windows rules.
    I installed 3.9.0.5 with the recommended rules.
    I had two prompts which I allowed, there was no problem.
    But I'm seeing the same thing when I browse in Manage Rules to select a program to create a rule (to Allow or Block).
    Each time a Crash Dump is created, but not the same size approximately 397MB.
    W7-SP1 Pro 64bit

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  25. mrtonyg

mrtonyg Registered Member

Knowing and using the software properly is step one in any type of diagnosis...I hope you realize this program is not a firewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.