another Windows Firewall Control?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by moontan, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Good news. I have found the problem and I have fixed it. It will be available in the next version. Thank you for sending me your security event log. It really helped me to find the problem. The Java problem is solved !!!

2. Broadway

Broadway Registered Member

Wow, great! Thank you for your efforts!
    :)

3. Kob

Kob Registered Member

I am not sure if this has been brought up before, but people who experience unresponsive computer while running a WFP-based program like Windows Firewall Control should consult http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2664888/en-us

4. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

This is pretty new. Thank you for sharing this info. I will try it too.

5. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Just wondering how the next version is coming along...

6. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Well, I had the bachelor exam today and in the last two weeks I had a lot to study. Luckily for me, I took 9.57 out of 10. Starting tommorow I will have time again to implement the new features and to work actively again on this project. The next version will be out soon.

7. Broadway

Wow, congratulations! Great job!
    :)

8. puff-m-d

+1 :thumb:
    Congratulations on the accomplishment!

9. Bionic71

Bionic71 Registered Member

Congrats Alex :)

10. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Version 3.3.0.6 available

What's new:
    - New: Added a new tab in the main interface, named "Rules". From this tab the user can select if he wants to create outbound rules, inbound rules or both types of rules. This settings applies to all methods of adding a new rule.
    - New: Double clicking on the main window will now hide the window.
    - Fixed: Notifications for java.exe and javaw.exe are missing on some computers.
    - Fixed: The program crashes when creating multiple rules at the same time for multiple executable files from the same folder.
    - Fixed: Some events block resources from being disposed by GarbageCollector. Now, the memory usage should decrease a little because the objects are recycled properly.
    - Fixed: Properties Rule window can be resized by dragging to the desktop edges.
    - Added: A message box which will prevent the software to start on Windows XP.

Download link: http://binisoft.org/download/wfc.exe

Just check for updates and install the new version. Any feedback is welcome.

Please let me know if this version solves the problems that you have reported with the previous version.

What do you think ?

1. The main window should be allowed to be moved over the screen or do you like the fixed position over the system tray ?

2. Should I make the main window to be active all the time ? It will not dissapear anymore if the user clicks outside of it, like it is now. In this case, the close button will be the one that will hide and will act as minimize the window to system tray. To exit the application a new context menu for the notify icon with a single exit item will be created.

Thank you for your support,
    Alexandru

3306.jpg

11. Eru

Eru Registered Member

1. You can add this option but there should be an option that will lock the window position.

2. You can add this option but users should have an option to choose if they want have it enabled or disabled.

12. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Important notice:

I have posted accidentally, on the website a wrong executable file. If you downloaded version 3.3.0.6 before reading this post, please download again the good version. Just replace the exe file in the destination folder.

In the first uploaded version, Learning Mode creates only inbound rules. This is fixed now.

Thank you for your understanding.

13. Eru

Eru Registered Member

Nice to know because I was fighting with rules creation :)

14. Broadway

1. I don't think that it is necessary to move the window.
    2. This sounds to be very intuitive.

Thank you for the update. I will test especially the Java issues later when I am at home :)

15. Broadway

Java.exe and javaw.exe are now notified as expected! Thanks again!

16. makinjr

makinjr Registered Member

Small problem: wfc keeps poping up and asks me to allow/block Bonjour service (mdnsresponder.exe)
    Source is my ip, and Remote is my 3G provider DNS server address, port 53, Protocol UDP.
    If I choose either block or allow, popups keep coming! That is a little bit annoying.

WLAN home network
    Mobile broadband 3G internet connection
    wfc version 3.3.0.6, few days ago I installed update from microsoft that solved issue with avast antivirus (slow boot time, bug concerning windows filtering platform).

What can I do? Is it a bug in OS or in WFC?

17. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

If you create a generic rule for it, either to allow or to block it, you should not be notified again. What rule did you create ? Do you use any encryption software, like TrueCrypt, etc ? When you create a rule, it is properly created ? Do you see it in Manage Rules ? The path to the application executable file is correct ?

Please export your policy and sent it to me at: support@binisoft.org

I will check this. Thank you for reporting this error.

18. Crular

Crular Registered Member

I noticed this behavior too, though with different applications. Last time I noticed it was with dropbox.exe. WFC created four rules for the same exe up til now. Noticed it too with various other apps and tried deleting all rules and start fresh, didn't help. I sent you my policy by mail, maybe it helps.

19. Werderforever

Werderforever Registered Member

Is it always neccessary to uninstall the old version before installing the new on?

And what´s the reason for uninstalling first?

Werderforever

20. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

If you look on the older posts from this topic, you will see that this recommendation was for the beta version, because they had the same internal version and they can't update. All the final versions can update previous versions. There is no need to uninstall a previous version, because, always a newer version will know how to update an old installation.

21. Werderforever

Werderforever Registered Member

Many thanks!

Werderforever

22. Broadway

I found a folder "LocaleMetaData" with two files

SecurityLog_1031.MTA and
    WFCevents_1031.MTA

obviously created by WFC on 29.06.2012
    on my system

What is behind that?

23. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Windows Firewall Control did not created those files. Please read below what are MTA files:

http://www.ehow.com/info_12097485_mta-file-extension.html

"To troubleshoot events that were logged on a remote computer, you must export and archive the log with the display information. The display information for the saved events is stored in the LocaleMetaData folder and should be moved with the log information when the information is viewed on another computer."

Source: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749339.aspx

These files were saved by Event Log when you have exported the Security Log and WFC Log a few weeks ago.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  24. Broadway

Ah, I did not know about that. Thank you for the information :)

25. puff-m-d

Hello,

I may have found a bug... First, I am using Win Vista HP x64 with all service packs and hot-fixes to date. From WFC Interface>Shortcuts>Resource Monitor, that link does not work. Clicking it does nothing. I can get Resource Monitor to run from Start>Run>"Perfmon.exe /res" however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.