another Windows Firewall Control?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by moontan, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

No, it does not. But the final 3.0.1.0 will be compatible with this beta, so you can update without worries.

2. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

So we would have to rebuild all of our rules, WFC's and Advanced Security?

3. Broadway

Broadway Registered Member

This is what I did:

1. I started wf.msc and deleted all rules created by WFC.
    2. I exported all the other rules.
    3. I unistalled 3.0.0.8 completely, restoring WF default settings as Alex recommended.
    4. I installed 3.0.1.0
    5. I started wf.msc again and imported the rules saved in step 2
    6. I set up WFC's rules again.

I don't know whether this is the most efficient way, but this way you only have to rebuild only wfc's rules.

Just do it. The improvements are worth the effort!

4. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I can probably live with that, lol. Thanks

What makes WFC rules in AS any different than the manually created AS rules? I see the rule name is determined by program path and under description, Windows Firewall Control. How is the difference determined? Looks like exporting/importing all rules WFC and AS would work to me but I guess not.

5. Broadway

On my system WFC rules are the only ones that are visible with their program path and program name. AS rules (not created by WFC) have names such as "Core network" or "home netgroup". Most of them belong either to private or public or domain profiles. All WFC rules refer to "All" profiles.
    AS rules (on my system) all belong to a special "group" (second column in outgoing rules). WFC rules do not (there is no comment in that column).

6. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Version 3.0.1.0 beta 2 is available to download:

What's is new since the last beta:

- The responsiveness of "Learning Mode" was increased by 40%.
    - "Learning Mode" works now with all language localizations, due to a new discovery which makes easier the processing of data needed for notifications.
    - The uninstallation procedure deletes also the file "wfc.exe".

Installation notes:
    If you already use the first 3.0.1.0 beta 1, you can update without worries because all of your rules are preserved.
    If you use any other version, a clean installation is neccesary because the new 3.0.1.0 version uses a new way of storing the firewall rules which makes it incompatible with earlier versions.

Here is the download link:
    http://binisoft.org/download/beta2/wfc.exe

Any feedback is very appreciated. Please share your experience with the new improvements of the "Learning Mode", especially from registered users which have Windows installed in other language than english.

This beta version was tested by myself on W7 x64/x86 english, W7 x86 french, W7 x86 german, and all features worked great.

Thank you for your support. Meanwhile I will try to add new features which will be included in the final version 3.0.1.0.

7. Broadway

Update from beta 1 to beta 2 fails. Executing the downloaded WFC.exe does not start the update/installation procedure but another instance of WFC is executed.
    So beta 1 and beta 2 run both.

8. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Indeed. Just replace the exe. I will fix this in the final release. The other features are fine ?

9. Broadway

Up to now no further issues. I tested especially creating rules on notification and both ways to allow programs manually.
    Thank you :)

10. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

How do i add windows sidebar for net connection?

11. Broadway

Just create a rule for sidebar.exe
    HTH

12. JoeBlack40

Duh...for me.:D More than obvious.Thank you.

13. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Popups for Learning Mode do not work on x64.
    They just don't appear

14. JoeBlack40

Hmmm...tried again,but...how do i add sidebar exe,as i don't see any add option in allowed programs?

15. Juha L

Juha L Registered Member

Is it impossible to make 3.0.1.0 to read rules file exported from 3.0.0.8? I have lots of rules, it´s gonna be lots of learning and work if this has to be done from beginning again.

16. Broadway

I've got W7 X64, too (German version). Works fine here.

17. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I don't think so. Using my wife's laptop as the Guinea Pig, I have just updated her laptop to the latest beta version. In short, on my setup I will be sticking with what I have now, 3.0.0.8. I'm not in to rebuilding all the rules that I have fine tuned for some time now. The new features are great and all but I'm just not ready for a rebuild of rules. It's not just that but the uninstall/reinstall never works as intended for me. Sometimes it leaves the original wfc.exe along with the new one. Task is not deleted and on reboot you have two instances of WFC running.

18. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Yeah, see above. It was another botched uninstall/reinstall of WFC.

Edit: Popups are now working but I don't see them as being more responsive in the latest build. If anything, less. I would like to know if exporting Advanced security rules of older version could be used(imported) on the latest versiono_O I don't see why it wouldn't but I'm getting the impression that they will not. I'm not talking exporting WFC rules but Advanced Security which has WFC rules included.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  19. Broadway

I assume you don't have learning mode activated.
    You will not find the Add Program feature in allowed programs but in
    Medium Filtering -> Allow Program

HTH :)

20. JoeBlack40

I have the free version,so no learning mode.Already tried what you said,but doesn't work to add an exe.

21. Broadway

It works here and this way:
    Medium Filtering - Allow Program - then browse to:
    c:\programs\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
    mark the exe and klick "open"
    It did not work in 3.0.0.8 as I stated above. So be sure to have 3.010 Beta 2.

22. JoeBlack40

Aha...so this option is available with the new beta version.Thank you.

23. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Problem Reporting's checking for solutions fails with no alert when in Learning Mode. If WFC is set to Low Filtering, it works.

24. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

What's new in version 3.0.1.2

A first clarification. In the first 3.0.1.0 beta1, I forgot to change a value, so this final version can't be 3.0.1.0. That is why I have named it 3.0.1.2.

√ New: A new menu item named "Manage Rules" was added, from which the user can administrate more easily the firewall rules.
    √ Improved: From this version, all firewall rules are listed in the same list. A rule that allows a program is coloured green and a rule that blocks a program is coloured red.
    √ Improved: Local ports, remote ports and protocol, are displayed for all firewall rules without requiring to select a rule.
    √ Improved: A new firewall rule can be created by selecting the executable file or by clicking on the program window.
    √ Improved: The responsiveness of "Learning Mode" was increased by 40%.
    √ Fixed: "Learning Mode" works now with all language localisations.
    √ Fixed: The uninstallation process does not delete the program file.

Installation notes:
    Firewall rules created with previous versions are incompatible with this new release, because from this new version, the firewall rules are stored in a different way. This was absolutely necessary in order to implement the new improvements. If you use an old version, please uninstall that version and choose to restore the Windows Firewall default settings. Sorry for any inconveniences caused by this transition, but a clean install is mandatory.

The second clarification. If you already use a previous 3.0.1.0 beta version, you can update it without no problems.

Good news for the users who use a higher DPI setting than the normal one. I have compiled an extra version which was developed and tested on 125DPI. Now, everything looks fine, I mean the graphical interface. Also I have updated the icons to a higher resolution to look better.

Download link for the normal version:
    http://binisoft.org/download/wfc.exe
    Download link for the higher DPI version:
    http://binisoft.org/download/dpi/wfc.exe

Any feedback is welcomed. Thank you for your support, and for your patience. :)

25. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

It is available on softpedia? because I only download programs from softpedia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.