another Windows Firewall Control?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by moontan, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

I'm thinking to add a new checkbox on the setup form, something like "Create rules for system items", in which if the user check that box, the setup will create automatically rules for svchost.exe and System. What do you think ? These rules must be created customized or to allow all connections. What settings do you consider would be best ?

I have already implemented the check for digital signature and to retrieve and show the icon for programs. See the picture. This version will be out the next week.

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/296/3007.png

2. Juha L

Juha L Registered Member

How many actually tweak and how many just want it to work? Those who want to tweak can always restrict more imo.

Sounds good imo.

3. Broadway

Broadway Registered Member

I always do and agree!

4. Broadway

Fine! Thank you!
    I think that if a user decides the setup to create rules automatically he will be fine with "allow all". Users who want to specify their rules leave the checkbox empty and create their rules themselves.

5. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Checking digital signature and showing the icon for programs is indeed a good idea.

It allows users to identify better the outgoing connection when WFC alerts the user.

;)

6. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

What's new in version 3.0.0.8

√ New: Notifications of "Learning Mode" display if a file is digitally signed or not, or if the certificate is not valid.
    √ New: Notifications of "Learning Mode" show the icon of the program notified.
    √ New: Notifications of "Learning Mode" alert the user if a program contains recommendations (currently only for the most used internet browsers).
    √ New: Added support for "Learning Mode" for Windows installations that are in greek language (el-GR).
    √ New: "Allow Program" and "Block Program" options from the program menu, will create a new rule on mouse click on the program window or the shortcut of the desired program. No more browsing for a executable program on your harddisk.
    √ New: The setup program include a new check box, "Create rules for system items (recommended)" which will create rules to allow: wfc.exe (Check for Updates feature), svchost.exe (Windows Update, MSE Antivirus, etc) and System (ping.exe, tracert.exe, etc).
    √ Improved: The program is executed again in real x64 mode, resolving the problems of the previous version on 64bit systems.
    √ Improved: Added a new button on About window, which generates a debug log file on the user desktop and is used to trace the program problems. This replaces the "-debug" parameter.
    √ Improved: The loading time at runtime was decreased, also the file size.

Your feedback is welcomed.
    Also, if you have suggestions for recognized programs, please share them here. The suggestions must contain the file name, recommended local ports and remote ports. In this version the recommendations are only for opera.exe, firefox.exe and iexplore.exe(local ports: ANY; remote ports: 80, 443; protocol:TCP), but I will add more of them on your suggestions. Let's share our tweaks to improve WFC. :)

Thank you for your support.

7. Broadway

First of all thank you for the great improvements.

But: When updating vom 3.006 to 3.008 wfc.exe installs in
    Windows\System32 on my Win7 x64 HP.
    It does not install in \SYSWOW64 and it does not uninstall wfc 3.006 from
    \SYSWOW64.

So I now have 3.008 in Windows\System32
    and 3.006 in Windows\SYSWOW64

Thank you :)

Addition:

Removing both via control panel/programs had no effect. Both files remain present in their above folders.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  8. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Can we install it over the top, or is it better to do a clean install?

9. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Version 3.0.0.6 was compiled as x86 native exe. Version 3.0.0.8 runs in real 64bit mode, from this comes the incompatibility.

1. Please uninstall any version you currently have. Both ones.
    (optionally) If you want to restore old rules:
    - Install version 3.0.0.6 and export your current policy to a file.
    - Uninstall version 3.0.0.6 and choose to "Reset to the default Windows Firewall settings".
    2. Manually delete any wfc.exe from your Windows\System32 and Windows\SYSWOW64.
    3. Do a clean install of version 3.0.0.8.
    4. Activate the program using your account to get the activation code.
    5. Import the configuration you have previously saved, if you have one.

But, I strongly recommend a clean install. I'm sorry for the inconveniences, these problems appeared only on 64bit systems.

On 64bit systems, I recommend a clean install, to avoid the problems described by Broadway.

10. Broadway

Problems continue:
    I deleted both wfc.exe from both folders manually and did a clean installation.
    wfc.exe was installed in Windows\System32 on my x64.

I had to renew the activation and wondered why the Installation ID was different than before. Nevertheless I got my new activation code and activated wfc again successfully.

But I failed to activate the learning mode.

After rebooting the system, wfc started without admin privileges. So I had to use the "Run as.." feature (I never needed that before) to change settings. But still learning mode cannot be enabled.

I think the x64 problem is back. On x64 systems the program should install to SYSWOW64 as 3.006 did, or what is wrong?

Desperately waiting for your help, Alex.

Thank you

11. Broadway

I did it the way you described it.
    Still fail to activate the learning mode. Still no administrator-startup.

12. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

1. The new version should be installed into Windows\System32. If you do a clean install, wfc.exe is not copied there, but on SysWOW64 ?
    2. Also check in Task Scheduler if the path is the good one. Or simply just uncheck and then check again "Start with Windows". Which path appears there ?
    3. If you check in Task Manager, wfc.exe has an * on it's name, it is running as a x86 executable or like a real x64 executable ?

13. Broadway

Everything fine now.
    I had to uninstall and install three times to get it to run. I don't know what was the problem, actually.
    I had to click "Learning Mode" three or four times to activate it.

I'm sorry I cannot reproduce the problem. Maybe there was a mess with UAC on the first installation that kept me away from administration mode. Don't know.

Anyway... got it to go finally. Thank you again :)

14. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

I'm testing it right now on a fresh installation of Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit edition and everything is fine. I will test it more and come back with the results. :)

15. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Hi Alex,
    My last questions/issues with WFC were on my work laptop which is x64. I'm back home now after finishing up roughly a 11 month road trip of work and will be using my personal laptop more and it is not x64. Right now, I am using WFC version 2.9.9.3 and would like to update to your latest version. What are the steps for doing this? I will export WFC rules and Advanced Security rules just in case but I'm unsure about your new licensing and need to know if I should uninstall completely or not. If you could, one more time, list all steps involved so I get this right the first time. Thanks

16. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Installation notes for version 3.0.0.8

For x86 systems:
    1. Download the new version of wfc.exe.
    2. Run it from where you have downloaded it with elevated privileges (right click on it and then press on Run as Administrator...).
    3. The new version will automatically detect an older version if present and will update itself. There is no need to close the current version that is installed or running on your system.
    4. Because the licensing system was changed, the new version must be activated again using a new activation code, which you can obtain from your account on our website.

For x64 systems:
    If you already use a version between 3.0.0.1 and 3.0.0.6.
    1. Export your current policy using the program feature to do so.
    2. Uninstall the current version you have installed, from Control Panel.
    3. Delete manually wfc.exe from where it was installed.
    4. Download the new version (currently 3.0.0.:cool: and do a clean install.
    5. Import your saved policy to get back your rules.
    6. Activate the program using the activation code. To get the activation code, please log in into your account on our website.

If you already use an older version than 3.0.0.1, follow the steps described for x86 systems.

I always recommend to save your current policy from time to time, especially before an update, just to be sure. Whatever problem that occurs during an update, a clean install will do fine.

* Problems were reported only for versions 3.0.0.1 - 3.0.0.6 on 64bit systems. I apologize to all of you who had problems with the latest versions. I was mostly preoccupied with adding new functionalities, and I neglected the uninstall procedure. I will fix this problem it in the next version.

Thank you for your support.

17. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

It doesn't work here.

WFC create a rule like: "Unable enumerate all process module". :D

"EnumProcessModulesEx" problem?: 1 - 2

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  18. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Most helpful, Thanks

19. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Strange. I will test it and come back with an answer.

20. Broadway

Had the same during my hassle that I described above.
    It works now.

Two additional questions:

What is the difference between the *.wfc-files created by wfc for the rules and the *.wfw-files created by Windows Firewall when exporting the ruleset there?

Where does wfc.exe store it's related information in the registry? I want to be sure to do a real "clean" uninstallation.

Thank you!

21. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

Thanks for update :thumb:

22. Antarctica

Importing rules doesn't work with this new version.
    I did follow alexandrud explanation for my 64bits system but the program does not want to import the saved rules.:doubt:

23. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ Antarctica, can't reproduce that here. Working well.

Did you try to export? Worked well, or the same annoyance?

24. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Actually, the message "Unable enumerate all process module." is given by a timer, when no window is pressed. But on this message the entire process is skipped until you activate a window. I could not reproduce this problem. Tested on Win7 x86 Ultimate and Win7 x64 Enterprise. Is there somebody else having this problem ?

The wfc file is actually a zip file containing a wfw file and a reg file. They both are used to restore WFC settings. Yes, the settings of WFC are stored in the registry. If you uninstall WFC using Control Panel, or easier by running it with "-uninstall" parameter, every trace from registry will be erased. If on uninstallation you choose to keep current configuration, WFC settings will not be removed, nor WFwAS rules. From version 3.0.0.8, the executable is compiled back for both CPU's (x86 and x64), and in the future there will be no more problems again with 64 bit systems, from this version it will be always System32.

Which version do you used to export your policy ? What message gives you version 3.0.0.8 when you import your saved policy ? If the message is "Policy successfully imported !" all your rules must be again in Rules Window.

Sorry again for the troubles with 64bit systems which leaded to duplicate installations. From this version, WFC will run in 64bit mode and there will be no more problems in the future on updating.

25. Antarctica

Hello alexandrud,
    I use version 3.0.0.6 to export the rules. Now when I import the rules it says effectively "Policy successfully imported" but when I look in the Windows outbound rules none of the rules I had created for my Software are there...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.