Another Spyware Removal Tool

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by controler, Dec 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. controler

controler Guest

Here is a link to another Spyware Removal Tool.
    Since I got this link through e-mail and I leave one of my e-mail addys
    listed here, I am guessing someone from here sent it to me ;)
    I haven't tried it out yet.

Try it risk free for 90 Days!

http://www.aluriasoftware.com/

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Thnx controler,

I never heard of that one before. I´m d/l´ing it now and I´ll give it a try.
    I see you don´t hide your addy in your profile.
    How can we charge these companies for addy´s when you´re giving them away to the bots? :D (Just kidding)

Regards,

Pieter

3. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

It's reputed to be OK, and it's among the available downloads on http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/downloads.php .

However, they're charging money for it, which admittedly isn't a crime by itself, but given the fact that the superior SpyBot S&D is freeware, and the launch of AAW 6.0 is near, I'm not entirely convinced that we need it.

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Controller.That's Aluria's Spyware Eliminator.I have had that program since a few weeks after it was available(in the nieghborhood of 3 months now).I run xp home and the only problems that I have had are update related.But,I have found that Aluria's support is good as far as addressing user's problems.It's different than Spybot in a number of ways.1)Updates.When you update, the program basically replaces itself with a new version.2)Scanning speed.Much slower than Spybot.3)Tracks.One nice feature is the ability to view tracks and related data.Some thoughts on Spyware Eliminator;It has detected spyware that was on my system.It's new but has potential IMO.It better,I bought it!I got on board because it was a better alternative as a back up to Spybot than anything else I tested.I also like the idea of a lifetime license.

5. controler

controler Guest

I am trying it out now. I don't know for sure yet which track removal this program does but it has found a couple DLL spybot has not. Also one Alexa file.
    These are Cydoor DLL's left over from a Kazza install on a friends computer. The DLL in reference here would be CD_yourcomputername.DLL

Just do a search for CD*.*

6. TonyKlein

SpyBot is intentionally not targeting the famous Alexa key (in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions) as it can't be considered spyware by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes, but how would you feel if it was your antivirus that hadn't been updated for three months... :rolleyes:

I can't think of a single mitigating factor here, and at the very least it's an major public relations blunder.

And although AAW 6.0 is imminent, your guess is as good as mine.

As yet I'm not holding my breath, though.

7. notageek

notageek Registered Member

controler,
    Thanks for the heads up about this program. I wonder how many people that knows about Spybot S&D being free has really paid for this program. The way I see it most people want the free stuff and leave the rest alone. lol

8. TonyKlein

Personally, I'm interested in getting the best protection I can get, whether it be freeware or shareware, and at this moment in time where Spyware is concerned that certainly means SpyBot.

9. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

I´ll have to pass on testing this one. It does not like something on my computer. Won´t run under XP or Win2k o_O
    Besides that, I agree with notageek and Tony. I think they´ll have a hard time selling it when you can get Spybot S&D for free.

Regards,

Pieter

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I have xp operating system and Spyware Eliminator does run on it fine.Updating with xp is a problem.Aluria's support does fix the problem though.If you look at spyware removal programs in general,not taking into account the free versus pay programs,no doubt in my mind that Spybot is the best period.Spybot is the program that others will be compared too.I have both of these programs because I had another program as a back-up to Spybot.I like Spyware Eliminator as a back-up better than the former program that I had.But if I could only have one program regardless of cost,I'd take Spybot without hesitation.When I bought Spyware Eliminator I felt it was only fair to donate to Pepi.That was a "conscience" issue for me.I'm not saying everyone has to donate.That's a personal decision for each user to make.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.