Another forgotten TrueCrypt password (x2)

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by LittleGoose, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LittleGoose

LittleGoose Registered Member

Hey, I've not used two of my TrueCrypt volumes for months and I've forgotten both their passwords. However, for both of them I remember most of the password and in one case I can remember all the letters used just not which one is capilatised or where two of the symbols belong, if they are there at all.

I've tried for a while to remember the passwords but I'm running short on patience but I know I'm not far away...for one of them at least. I've never had the problem before (at least one that couldn't be solved by resetting the password) so I'm a bit lost.

Does anyone know if there is program which can give me a list of possible passwords based on the characters/symbols I input. There can't be all that many possibilities but for me to run through changing and cross checking it would take a long time...I'm looking to save some of the hassle.

One of the volumes I'm not too bothered about loosing but the other is quite important to me: lots of photos that I really don't want to loose. I guess I hadn't realised just how powerful TrueCrypt is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. tateu

tateu Registered Member

If you know Python, this is a pretty good word list generator that uses Regular Expression syntax: http://code.activestate.com/lists/python-list/551502/. You could use it to create a word list to feed into one of the available TrueCrypt brute force applications or directly call TrueCrypt for each password.

There are a few TrueCrypt brute force applications that I know of. The following is reprinted from: http://www.tateu.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=246

3. LittleGoose

LittleGoose Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Josh.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Python, or any language other than English: my background is in science.

I've downloaded your program and once I've read how to use it correctly I'll give it a try. I'll update with any success I have.

Thanks again.

P.S. Sorry to whomever had to move my thread to the correct subsection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.