Another Firefox question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by 2xon2sday, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2xon2sday

2xon2sday Guest

I use Firefox with a dialup connection and was wondering if i lose my connection (to the internet) while download a program, can i simply reconnect and continue to finish my download from where it was cut off? Or do i have to start all over again? If not, what is the FF download manager for? Thanks a bunch. :)

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi 2xon2sday, welcome to forum :)

The download 'manager' in FF does allow to "Pause/Resume" so I would presume if all of a sudden connection is lost, you reconnect, open the download manager, and click on 'Resume' if applicable. I've never tried it....

But, what I can tell you, I've tried re-downloading something again, after an initial download, and it's almost instant, even on dial-up, as it's obviously pre-cached, so would presume something similar if continuing a download.

I tested FF on a PC at work [yep, finally talked my IT guy into getting FF for secure reasons] and I downloaded a 5Mb file in about 30 seconds, then deleted it from desktop, closed FF, reopened, and downloaded the same file again and it was back on desktop instantly.

Cheers, TAS

3. 2xon2sday

2xon2sday Guest

Hi Tassie_Devils

Thanks for your reply, but i decided to test FF myself instead of just asking everyone for the answer that i could determine myself through a few tests.

So after testing FF by disconnecting while downloading a file, hitting cancel, closing the browser and then trying to resume the download ect...... i came to the conclusion that FF will not resume your download from where you left off and will simply just start again from the beginning of the download each time.

Too bad, but FF is still a great browser and i am not trying to diminish its worth in any way, i'm just showing my findings in case anyone else was wondering.

So i guess a different download manager would still be needed to resume broken downloads, but i have yet to test them, so maybe they won't work either for this purpose.

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

2xon2sday,

I don't know if this will work either (I'm not on dial up), but it is worth a try.
    Download Statusbar Extension
    It has a pause resume feature. But it doesn't implicitly say that it can resume connection interruptions. It is much better than the standard built in Download manager. One of the nice features is the ability to configure it to automatically scan a download.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.