Anonymous Services - Can We Get A List Going And Feedback?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DasFox, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arran

arran Registered Member

anyone else here on Air VPN? because my downloads speeds are very slow, not sure if its Air VPN or because my ISP is throttling. for people who are using Air VPN what are your http download speeds like?

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Try connecting to UDP 53 or 80 and see if they go up. I had a marked increase when I got off of 443. You can also try TCP to see if your ISP is shaping.

PD

Edit: I just downloaded a Revision3 HD episode and the speeds were between 500KB/s to 1MB/s. My un-VPn'd line is 36Mb/s and can download it at 3MB/s....so not too shabby for a *privacy* oriented VPN.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  3. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Ladies & Gentlemen,

A favor please. I've not paid attention to these hide your i.p. thingies like ToR & on-line VPNs etc as its not something big with me.

Been asked to suggest a couple of choices. She wants to surf incognito PLUS be able to join Facebook etc with hidden I.P.

I said I'll let you know this afternoon. Time's nearly up. So what are a couple of choices. Seems personal / hobby stuff so I'd like to offer a freebie & an inexpensive alternative plz.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

AirVPN and BolehVPN are both good, and not very expensive.

I don't use free ones.

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I recommend AlwaysVPN for these kinds of things. Very fast, easy to setup, it's prepaid that never expires. 5GB for $8.50 or 10GB for $15. If she's just surfing the web, email, etc. that's a lot of bandwidth and would last a good long while.
    https://ssl.alwaysvpn.com

I agree with mirimir - I don't use, or trust, free VPNs.

6. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

edit: Thanks to you too LockBox. :thumb:

Might give it a go myself.

QUESTION: One VPN subscription work similtaneously on 2 PCs in office or need a lic for each?

7. mirimir

BolehVPN allows two, but AirVPN allows just one.

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

9. Nathan C

Nathan C Registered Member

This is slightly off the running conversation but related to this thread. Does anyone know what actually is happening with Xerobank? Could there be some kind of subpoena against Steve Topletz preventing him from making any statements or comments. I've been critical of Xerobank in the past but always hoped that it would eventually mature and live up to all the promised features. I'm puzzled why it would have stopped dead in its tracks about a year ago with Topletz essentially disappearing from the internet. Those subscribing to Xerobank, could I ask you if the service is functioning like its supposed to, or is it effectively in a state of abandonment? Is it still a viable VPN for privacy do you think or could things have been compromised with what looks like a forced silence on Steve Topletz? Any recent info on what's actually going on would be very appreciated.

10. mirimir

XeroBank was typically active at DEF CON. Was there anything this year? I'm too lazy to search the site.

11. Nathan C

Nathan C Registered Member

I looked at the DefCon site and could find nothing about Xerobank or Topletz. The Xerobank forum looks like it has been totally abandoned for many months and no censorship to the complaints of no customer service, that would almost seem suicidal. There is no internet presence at all for Topletz that I can see for all of 2012. That's why I wonder if this isn't some kind of legally forced silence. Also amazing that someone with such a high internet profile could completely drop off the scale and no one up to now has made any public remark about it.

12. mirimir

If anyone knows, they aren't saying. Maybe he just decided to disappear.

13. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Steve & Kristin Aubel, Communications Director:

~ Private Information Removed per TOS ~

Someone else take the ball and see what you can find, the telephone number mail box is full...

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2012
  14. raidershog

raidershog Registered Member

I had contacted Steve T. back in May. I won't post what I communicated to him; however, the following is HIS reply to me dated May 14, 2012:

~Private info removed. See the TOS~

I only think it is "fair" to share this e-mail with the Wilders Security Forum Community--some who were also former Xerobank customers. I do NOT know why this was never communicated to their customers but it made it challenging for me to serve as a Moderator at the Xerobank Forum which (obviously) I no longer do. I TOO moved on to another service (BolehVPN) which is (for now) meeting MY needs! I especially like the fact that they recently added "Sweden" to the mix!

Anyway, I hope this answers some questions. Obviously there's more questions that may never be answered.

TAKE CARE everyone!

RAIDERSHOG

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2012
  15. raidershog

raidershog Registered Member

Well, I guess either an administrator or moderator felt that I could NOT share an email that I had received from Steve! Oh, well...............!

At least I know what is going on!

16. mirimir

Steve's private life is none of our business!

17. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Gentlemen help me out if you can. I have LooknStop FW. But I'm illiterate with all these filtering rules.

I got myself BolehVPN as suggested earlier for a friend & it impressed me enough to use it myself. but LnS is blocking it on my PC. Boleh has one setting called surfstreaming TCP which works. But all the other choices are blocked by LnS.

Any suggestions which to add or tick & where in LnS?

18. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

if looknstop fw is too much id suggest going over to something more userfriendly like comodo , isnt the nr.1 fw for nothing ;) , that should fix your issues

19. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

What about paying BolehVPN from the USA? I see no way around the new restrictions on prepaid cards and subscriptions and international use.

20. mirimir

Have you actually tried it lately? I've heard that PayPal checkout still works sometimes with US gift cards (but not if you try to use them with your PayPal account). Also, do they still accept Liberty Reserve?

21. Liberty Reserve ewwwwww. Sorry folks but that is one seedy scumpit. Not only is it difficult to get, try and even find a honest & reputable exchanger I don't think you will.

What's wrong with Paypal guys? I know it's not anonymous but at least you can get your $ back if the VPN is a fraud. It works and is perfectly fine for ordering a VPN.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2012
  22. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

im all for bitcoin if done right you cant go wrong with it

p.s> id never use paypal for a vpn

23. mirimir

Well, there's supposedly cocaine on every $100 bill, but that doesn't mean that only drug dealers use cash ;) I've used WM-center to get LR from Bitcoins with no problems.

24. True but you have to admit it's seedy and difficult to get for ordinary folks. that's why I don't think there's anything wrong with paypal. Liberty Reserve can be tracked no?

25. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Who says PayPal isn't anonymous? :p

It's relatively easy to set up and fund a PayPal account anonymously, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.