Anonymous Services - Can We Get A List Going And Feedback?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DasFox, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marktor

marktor Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Portlane appears to be a good company in Sweden in good standings, so I would say if you want, yes by all means give Anonine a go, BolehVPN seems to a a good VPN, but they are going through changes I hear, so you'll just have to check them out to see how that one goes. PRQ also appears to be a good VPN in Sweden...

3. marktor

I am thinking I will go with BolehVPN. They seem to have great customer service and are very up front about the service they provide. They were also very good about answering my questions. Here is what i asked them and there responses.

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I forgot to mention, this is for everyone!

Make sure when you contact a VPN to ask them questions, that they will provide these 4 files;

ca cert
    client cert
    configuration - (of course you get this) ;)
    client key

I've already spoken to one of the OpenVPN developers on this and they said besides the configuration file you should get these other 3 files...

This is also an extra added benefit; (If they offer all 4 above I'd try to talk them into offering a ta.key as well...)

tls-auth (ta.key)

Which you can read here;

http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html

According to Steve from Xerobank port forwarding is bad;

Here's where Steven mentions this;

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=299102&highlight=questions vpn

Show that to BolehVPN and tell us what they had to say port forwarding...

5. marktor

Well one thing I an say for KryptoVPN is they do hold up on there claim that they will refund you within in the first 7 days if you are not satisfied with there service. They refunded me within a couple of hours after I contacted them. So they were good on this part. I also would like to let everyone know that I had conversation with Ipredator https://www.ipredator.se/ and they do not offer OpenVPN right now but they will by the end of the first quarter of next year. I really like Ipredator and believe the people behind it really are all about Internet anonymity and privacy. Its a shame they only offer PPTP.

6. marktor

I will ask them and post back. From what I understand if you are going to allow bittorrent and p2p on your network it is almost a necessity to offer port forwarding. If you don't then torrent users will not be able to seed etc. Right now I am reading this paper on Watermarked traffic take a look. It is some interesting stuff it appears that you dont necessarily have to have port forwarding enabled to pull this off: http://www.freehaven.net/anonbib/cache/Wang-SP2007.pdf

From what I am understanding in order for this to work. There would have to be active monitoring of your connection when it enters the VPN and monitoring the connection that is exiting the VPN... Guess its plausible but very difficult. I guess a big government could do this if they targeted you though.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  7. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Let's not get off topic here, but that Freehaven link has some really great stuff;

http://www.freehaven.net/anonbib/date.html

Now can we just have some simple solutions to make things more secure for the end-user is all I want to know... ;)

THANKS

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  8. marktor

Just got a response back from Faceless.me VPN service. Here were my questions and the responses they gave.

Sounds like a decent VPN possibly. They apparently weren't sure about what I was talking about when I asked about Port Forwarding though.
    I have contacted several other VPNS but have received no responses to these questions.

9. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ahh please be sure to tell us first about a new VPN you found...

I don't believe someone has mentioned faceless.me...

OK one good question to ask them since everyone seems to spew this all over their sites, is how are you providing anonymity?

So many VPNs spew how you are going to be anonymous and the question is, what anonymity technologies are you imploying to do this?

Look at how complex Tor is and yet they tell you not to rely on Tor for strong anonymity, so how does some little VPN provider come along providing a bigger structure then Tor with great anonymity, should be the question in your mind...

The truth is, they'll probably tell you, it's because you share the IP address with everyone, well sorry this isn't really much anonymity, it's just a sales pitch...

I don't even think 75% of the VPN providers even understand how to provide a real anonymity,, or for that matter even have the resources in order to do so like Tor at that level, otherwise, where are all the Tor competitors?

Here's an interesting article which talks about True Anonymity & Pseudo-Anonymity; (Everyone should be reading about this and the differences and anything else they can find)

http://www.crime-research.org/articles/2110/

These VPN providers are merely providing Pseudo-Anonymity...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  10. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

That's very true, but using them is better than nothing. Using VPNs also helps cloak other approaches that you may be using, such as Tor, I2P or Freenet. Would you rather be one of the 50 Tor users in your city, or one of the 5,000 VPN users?

11. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well I have someone else via email communication with Kryptotel, a Mark De Beni, which seems like he's trying to be nice, but clueless none the less. Look at this reply back, just absurd, to ask this of someone who is asking simple questions.

It just goes to show the company doesn't know how to answer simple OpenVPN questions, thinking they're going to be giving away big company secrets and get hacked, which shows their lack of experience and professionalism, just pathetic... :thumbd:

I sent a reply, giving back examples to the questions showing how they can be answered, so I'm waiting to see what Mark has to say, but this is my last email with them, it's been a week trying to get a few small simple answers from them.

No one should have to jump through hoops to get simple answers replied to, this should send a RED FLAG off in your mind!

I can't believe asking for residence, phone number, website (where you are publishing your review) and a scanned id... :(

They must of thought I was doing some website review and misunderstood me, asking me for a website, but no matter what, anyone asking some questions doesn't mean they need to give away their identity to get answers...

Like I said these are just simple OpenVPN questions and to even start having someone at a company go on about all this, it's just plain nonsense!

I actually said I was a tech doing a personal review, not some big business review, big difference, doing your own investigating...

I have one thing to say a BIG ---> LMAO... o_O

12. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

DasFox, or anybody else more knowledgeable than me and experienced with VPN services, could you answer, please: how does it work with anonymous payments with VPNs?

What is the most anonymous way of paying - Bitcoin, WebMoney, LibertyReserve, PaySafeCard or anonymous cash? What would be a secure procedure for anonymous cash?

Can you list VPN service providers who offer anonymous payment possibilities?

Thank you

13. marktor

I know that Mullvad offers payment by cash. All you have to do is generate a customer id on their website and mail them cash with your customer id and they add time to your account. They dont require ANYTHING to setup a customer id either. You just click a button and it gives you one. No email or anything has to be given.

14. marktor

Just so everyone knows I have been testing out BolehVPN. I noticed something when I was running this test: http://www.all-nettools.com/toolbox/smart-whois.php on my IP that I was using it told me the owner of the IP is Private Layer INC. They are a server hosting company. https://privatelayer.com/ I am wondering if this means that BolehVPN is outsourcing some of its VPN hosting to them? So can the traffic and my IP therefore be logged? Or does this just simply mean they are using Pricate Layer hardware but have full control over it?

15. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I used Bitcoin with Mullvad. I was going to do cash, but I have no idea how long mail to Sweden is and I wanted it kind of quickly. Be advised, if you are not set up for Bitcoin right now, *that* process is a PITA, so get started now if that's what you want to use. Basically it's Your Bank>Dwolla>Mt. Gox (There are other services so research if you want a different setup). ALL of those will know your ITRW (In the real world) identity, and Mt. Gox may require an ID, they did for me, but I may have triggered it by using different IPs on the same account, who knows. Anyway, the Bitcoin process is still anonymous, it's just funding a trade account isn't.

P

16. mirimir

Bitcoin isn't anonymous unless you use a mixer service. See the Silk Road forum for recommendations.

17. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Drats! Foiled again! I'll check out that site thanks.

P

18. marktor

Had a discussion with BolehVPN about the fact that the dont offer IP crowding. Here is what I said:
    They responded with this:

I actually fully agree with their assessment on this. If there are no logs what difference does it makeo_O I know some like SteveTX think this is vitual. Im trying to understand why it is so important if the VPN indeed keeps no logs.

19. The Oracle

The Oracle Registered Member

Just an FYI on Boleh...

We’re undergoing some major revamps in our service which would require a global configuration change.

Implementing Encryption

We started out as a VPN provider whose main aim was to bypass traffic shaping and with a strong emphasis on speed. This worked out well for our initial bunch of customers but we have recognized a growing need for additional security. This is especially so as government and ISPs have begun eroding into our privacy and monitoring connections. Furthermore, the added overhead data is minimal at about 5%.

We also conducted a survey in which 72% of users wanted encryption implemented on the Proxied servers.

As such, we have decided to do two things:
    Implement Blowfish encryption on the Proxied Servers. With this change all our VPN servers are now encrypted
    Implement tls-auth on all our servers which adds another layer of security

We intend to have these changes rolled out on Christmas day 25th September 2011 Sunday 0:00 GMT+8.

http://www.bolehvpn.net/blog/

20. mirimir

Well, that's quite confusing!

Unless you don't really care about privacy, you want to use their BolehRoute servers, which already use 128-bit Blowfish.

21. redcell

redcell Registered Member

Guys, ladies and whatever .. please please you're all missing the main point here. Most VPNs out there are providing pseudo-anonymity, NOT true-anonymity.

Did anyone realize that VPNs like ProXPN, BolehVPN and iPredator are running their servers in "allied" countries like Switzerland, USA, Singapore, Sweden, UK etc. ? They all have global agreements in many areas like internet, military and finance.

If your country is any of the above, consider getting a multi-hops/layers VPN.

Another good way is to devise your own like what I've done:-

Free Wifi (dynamic base connection) -> VPN A (eg. Russia / Venezuela) -> VM VPN B (eg. Germany) -> TOR

Most importantly, all your VPNs must be free (NO traces of "payment of your real details" via credit/debit, paypal, bank trans, etc).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  22. mirimir

@redcell

That's an excellent approach. But it wouldn't work for me. There isn't much unsecured WiFi in my area. I haven't had much success with free VPNs, either. You're mainly hiding your use of Tor. Maybe that's very important where you are.

Because I don't use WiFi, I don't mind that my "outer" VPN providers know me. They know my IP address, in any case. I pay my "inner" VPN providers anonymously. I assume that my inner and outer VPN providers won't cooperate to deanonymize my posts to Wilders and such. I use gpg for private email. I also use Tor, i2p and so on, where appropriate.

Do I have "true anonymity"? No, of course I don't. But I have what I need.

23. marktor

I understand what you are saying in your post. Lets assume though you know the people that run your VPN and you trust them. And your VPN does not keep ANY logs of your IP connection logs and what you are accessing? Why goes it matter if they are in an "allied" country?? Besides if you are using a VPN to download things via p2p or torrents etc in Switzerland it is legal. See here: http://torrentfreak.com/swiss-govt-downloading-movies-and-music-will-stay-legal-111202/
    Plus as I said if there are no logs kept what can they really give authorities?
    Sure I guess with a single hop VPN there could be some kind of timed traffic analysis that could be done on you. But your connection would have to be singled out for monitoring.

24. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

Can you recommend a free VPN with servers in Venezuela?

25. truthpatrol

truthpatrol Registered Member

Goodness knows, fairly expensive fairly anonymous VPNs don't necessarily give you the service that you'd expect for the money. Here's the latest straight off the Xerobank forum, showing yet another repeat of the tiresome old "no customer service" complaint that had cursed Xerobank for years and been the primary factor destroying its reputation on the internet:

Idea: Actually respond to users in the forum (repost)
    Submitted by Un3nt on Tue, 10/25/2011 - 01:39
    Offline Un3nt

Given that this thread was deleted soon after posting, I thought I might repost it and expand in the hope that somebody actually considers the premise.

There are many threads with hundreds of posts, on this forum, all enquiring as to service status, upgrade paths, payment issues, etc.
    So much discontent amongst the Xb userbase would be alleviated if Xb staff would consider responding to a few of them. Does not have to be all at once - but maybe more than the once a month drop in by Steve to post a random comment about a non-core topic.
    #1 Bucko wrote 6 weeks 6 days ago
    Offline Bucko

I second this, sometimes I wonder why I'm still with Xerobank. They should work harder at customer relations, trust is everything with this product.

http://www.top-windows-tutorials.com
    #2 raidershog wrote 6 weeks 5 days ago
    Offline raidershog

I'm also going to "piggyback" onto this thread by saying that ANY "feedback" is welcome, NO let me restate that, it is NECESSARY for ANY service! Even if that feedback is NEGATIVE or Xerobank is having some "setbacks" with the development of XB4 they still owe it to their customers to keep them apprised of any problems/issues or delays! Has anyone noticed that the discussion of "SAFEHOUSE" has dropped out of the equation? But, at this point, I'm just interested in the development/rollout of Clarion XB4. ANY additional/further developments would just be some "icing on the cake" if they proved to be"fruitful". Hopefully, we'll hear something SOON! Quest
    #3 achilles wrote 6 weeks 3 days ago
    Offline achilles

Since Xerobank refuses to respond to any questions from their customers I suggest they sale all their servers to Boleh VPN or some other VPN that actually provides good customer support. I have no trust in Xerobank anymore what so ever! Btw.. All US routes have been down for the past 24 hours. I don't remember seeing any announcements so this is typical Xerobank for you. Maybe Steve has sold out to big government or is under some sort of gag order. Which ever the case is, something is really wrong here.
    #4 achilles wrote 6 weeks 1 day ago
    Offline achilles

Yes, your right raidershog. They not only stopped mentioning Safehouse, but they also removed the thread about the ongoing discussion of Safehouse. The only good thing Xerobank has going for them at this point is the the encrypted e-mail. That's the only reason I have used them at all, but now I ask myself how much they can be trusted with anything. I really don't understand why they can't answer any questions from their paying customers. I would not be surprised if one of their customers sued them for not rendering services.
    #5 Gozu-san wrote 5 weeks 5 days ago
    Offline Gozu-san

I can't deny that I'm curious about XB4 status. But really, it's none of my business. I can choose to use XB or not, after considering value and price. If they crap out, I'll be sad. And then I'll move along. If they make it (whatever it is) work, I'll be proud that I helped in some small way.

Gozu-san
    Key ID E483FFF6

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.