Anonymous Services - Can We Get A List Going And Feedback?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DasFox, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

@The Oracle

Wow! You clearly raised some red flags there at BolehVPN! I see that Reuben still has a Wilders account (bolehvpn). It might help to PM him and explain. Accepting credit card payments is risky. PayPal can push chargebacks, even months after payments.

BolehVPN uses LeaseWeb BV for its Amsterdam exit node. In my experience, geolocation information for LeaseWeb's IP addresses is often missing or inaccurate. The USA APO address is strange. Perhaps some Marine has been using them to download Lady Gaga ;)

Given that iVPN is multi-hop and accepts Liberty Reserve, I wouldn't connect directly. If you're fed up with BolehVPN, you might consider Mullvad.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  2. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

mirimir if you're going to point out information to help others then please make sure it's correct otherwise you're just spreading confusion...

Also http://www.twisted.co.uk/ is a music website... :blink:

1. To say BolehVPN use LeaseWeb BV in Amsterdam, sounds like this is all they use and they don't just use only LeaseWeb and just one country, they have several servers around the world in several countries.

2. Where did you come up with their IP addresses often unlisted, or inaccurately listed? I've tested all the servers and see everything correctly listed, the only thing that I did not like was the GEOIP being listed, going back to their physical location, rather then to the severs...

The Oracle, I've been playing around with BolehVPN for a few months now and I use it mainly for surfing, in fact I sit in front of a computer doing my work surfing 10 hours a day, 6-7 days a week, there is nothing wrong with the speeds for surfing, they're good...

So if you're not getting good speeds then there is something else going on...

However as I pointed out downloading through HTTP can be slow on many of the servers, so you can play with the different ones in the configuration, find the ones you like and just leave those in the configuration...

Message me so I can see the server you are talking about that shows something for the military, I have tested all the servers and have found nothing for any military showing up.

If you're having problems please start another post to get help and support in, I made this post just to discuss the different services and if we start going off on support matters, it's just distracting from the post...

THANKS

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  3. mirimir

I've edited my post to clarify that BolehVPN uses LeaseWeb BV for its Amsterdam exit node, and that it is geolocation information for LeaseWeb's IP addresses that is often missing or inaccurate. I know from experience with other VPN services that use LeaseWeb.

Yes, it is. It's a good site for testing cards.

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Testing cards, sorry you lost me?

The Oracle here's a speed test I did;

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1632299933.png

5. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

That's unfortunate, but one thing you have to realize is that many online services--especially VPN providers--are constantly having to deal with problems like stolen credit cards, hijacked Paypal accounts, and other fraud. Basically anything you do that makes you look "suspicious" to the biller may unintentionally set off a false alarm.

Therefore, if you use a proxy server to sign up, you need to make sure the geo-location of the proxy IP address you are using is in the same vicinity as the billing address you provided. Otherwise, if it's not even in the same country, then of course it's going to set off a red flag. And while I think it was a bit nosy of them to comment about your email address, I also think it probably wasn't the smartest idea to set up an account using the company's name. You'd be better off using a generic name that sounds more like what a typical everyday customer might use.

From what source? Occasionally those online IP <> country services have stale or inaccurate information. If you need to be sure, you should always check with the official RIRs (Regional Internet Registries), which are as follows:

ripe.net (Europe, Middle East, Northern Africa)
    arin.net (North America)
    apnic.net (Asia-Pacific region)
    lacnic.net (Latin America)
    afrinic.net (Sub-Saharan Africa)

:cool:

6. mirimir

Credit cards, such as your new gift card. Create your account, put desired digital download in your cart, and check out using your card. See if it works.

7. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I don't know how to do that kind of thing. But I do have a link for a video somewhere that shows how to prevent DNS links. I never learned how because my other VPNs don't leak. And I could swear that Mulvad didn't either the last time I checked. It may just be on this computer. I'll try it on my desktop when I get home.

8. caspian

caspian Registered Member

That looks pretty cool. I wish I could afford the laptop. But the VPN is only $3 a month? Wow.

9. The Oracle

The Oracle Registered Member

I am assuming this is Boleh? Where are you connecting out of (country)? What city are you connecting to, and what city are you picking for the speed test? What type of connection, ie SurfingStreamingUDP, TCP, or FullRouted?

It is better today then it was yeterday for sure. I connect at San Jose, did a test to San Fran, on UDP,
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1632480872.png

They also claim they have servers all over the US, but I seem to get stuck with the same one every single time. Starting to doubt a lot of things they are saying :)

TCP http://www.speedtest.net/result/1632487477.png (flying)

Fully Routed - all, I can't even get enough juice out of it to get the test even going.

Fully Routed - Canada http://www.speedtest.net/result/1632493164.png

Without being connected from my home city, I get 26.48 down, and 4.89 up.

Even though the speeds are better tonight, they are not consistent in the slightest. It is a total crap shoot in my short experience so far, and you can see how I can be upset when I get 26 down on my own, and then have pages timing out connected :(

10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

EVERYONE LISTEN UP PLEASE!

THIS IS NOT A VPN SUPPORT SECTION, THIS IS ONLY TO MAKE A LIST TO DISCUSS THE DIFFERENT SERVICES AND FEEDBACK TO HELP PEOPLE LEARN AND FIND A SERVICE.

IF WE HAVE SUPPORT ISSUES PLEASE MAKE ANOTHER POST TO GET HELP.

I DON'T WANT TO TURN THIS INTO A SUPPORT SECTION AND DISTRACT FROM THE POST AND TURN PEOPLE OFF!

LET'S PLEASE RESPECT THE OBJECTIVE OF THIS POST AND EVERYONE PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC.

THANKS FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING! :)

11. Digizik

Digizik Registered Member

12. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Windows leaks, not the VPNs, hehe...

So in order for them to prevent this, they'd have to make sure to push the DNS to you. If they don't push it to you, then you'd have to take care of it on your end, the simplest way is to simply add it into your TCP/IP stack, as was mentioned before...

Right click on your 'Local Area Connection', or the 'Wireless Connection' in your Network, next go to 'Properties', then click on the 'Internet Protocol Version 4 TCP/IPv4', next click on the 'Properties', when the TCP/IP properties opens, on the 'General' tab at the bottom, 'Use the following DNS server addresses' put in what you want to use... :)

That's 3 Euro a month on the yearly contract...

PRQ has already been discussed but not the others and how do you know they care? Have you used any of these VPN services?

Feedback is always helpful....

THANKS

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  13. The Oracle

The Oracle Registered Member

I was pretty hard on Boleh, so I wanted to come back and say a few things. First, I haven't had any of the speed problems that I had with them when I first started trying them out. Speeds seem to be consistent for the last couple of days now, and nothing like what I experienced on Sunday. I have made some other changes to my system, so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it, mainly switching my DNS servers from my ISP to OpenDNS, and now I switched it to NortonDNS because OpenDNS was blocking too many sites for me. So I am not sure if I just had a bad day with Boleh or it had something to do with my DNS servers. Either way, I am much happier with the service.

Also, I reported about that problem I had with them about suspending my account for credit card questions. I was very annoyed about the whole thing, but they did take care of it within a couple of hours, and they even gave me a whole week extra for free to check out their service some more because of the problem. They didn't have to do that, and I didn't ask for it, and I only applied for a 3 day sub to check out it short term. I think that was VERY cool of them to do.

If the speeds stay up in the neighborhoods of what I have been getting lately, I will probably stay on with them as my primary server. The folks there seem pretty cool to deal with too.

Sorry if this isn't appropriate for the thread, but I didn't think it would be fair of me to not update what I said when I am actually having a change of heart. That wouldn't be fair to people that come across my posts, nor would it be fair to do to the folks over at Boleh.

Thanks for your time...

14. bolehvpn

bolehvpn Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification and apologies for the inconvenience caused.

We had a spate of DDoS attacks targeted on our VPN servers and administration server but we are pleased to announce that we have dealt with these attacks in less than a day. Not sure if this contributed to the erratic speeds you experienced during that time. I've reverted this to our technical who is working on further hardening our servers.

PS: I don't check this forum often unfortunately (though I would like to) so if there is any problem, just drop me a mail, and I'll ensure that a proper response is given if it's not already taken care off by my staff.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  15. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

The Oracle discussing the services and feedback is just what you did and that is fine, that is what the post is all about, just not support. :)

Nice to see BolehVPN here!

Sorry to hear you had DDoS attacks...

16. marktor

marktor Registered Member

Decided to try Krypto VPN. I must say I am impressed so far with the speeds and it is dirt cheap with plans as low as $3.95 a month! More on their service here: http://en.kryptotel.net/kryptovpn.html More on their company here: http://en.kryptotel.net/whoweare.html
    They offer servers in Sweden,Italy,Hong Kong,USA,Canada,Germany,Australia.

I also found this statement interesting. This is either alot of talk or they really do take peoples privacy VERY seriously.

SOURCE

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  17. marktor

A little off topic of this thread... but I have 2 questions.

1. When I am connected to my VPN through OpenVPN all of my DNS request are routed through them instead of my ISPs DNS correct?

2. Am I better off not logging into such things as webmail and banking while using my VPN?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  18. mirimir

That's only so when your provider's OpenVPN server uses "redirect-gateway def1", or routing otherwise is properly configured. See -http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html#redirect It's safest to use your provider's standard connection package. If you're using OpenVPN, make sure that "redirect-gateway" and "dhcp-option DNS [ip address]" appear in the log.

It depends. Using IPs on multiple continents with your bank will get your account frozen. Paypal and Google are like that too. But you may also have webmail and bank accounts that you ONLY use with your VPN.

19. marktor

My OpenVPN log shows both redirect-gateway and dhcp-option DNS. the line actually reads "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8,dhcp-option DNS 8.8.4.4"
    I guess that means they are using Google for there DNS? Dont know if I am a fan of this. I have also noticed everytime that I connect I have the same IP does that mean I have a static IP with the VPN? I wonder if others are using the same IP or just me.

Update: I went to https://www.youhavedownloaded.com/ and it showed several things downloaded this month that I have no downloaded from the IP I am using. I am assuming this could mean there are other people using this IP at the sametime.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  20. mirimir

Cool.

Yes, they're pushing Google DNS :eek: You can change that in TCP/IP properties (Windows) or resolv.conf (Linux).

Do they have multiple exit nodes? Each one probably has just one IP address. Having all users share a static IP address provides anonymity through crowding.

21. marktor

So if I specify a DNS provider on my computer that will be used instead of the one the OpenVPN specifies? But my ISP can still see my DNS request if I specify a DNS provider right? If I just use the one the VPN provider has then my dns request will be sent over OpenVPN right? Or am I misunderstanding?

Yes they have multiple exit nodes in different countries.. Im starting to believe that they do crowding as you mentioned because I noticed my IP had been blocked on a couple of "adult" sites when I did a search of my IP. Crowding is what I was hoping since it provides more anonymity.

Thanks for your help btw.

@DasFox sorry I know I have got a bit off topic here. If I have more questions I will start a new thread.

22. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

They are located in the United Arab Emirates, so this should be interesting to see how this works out...

Anyone know much about the United Arab Emirates?

23. mirimir

As long as "redirect-gateway def1" has been set, all traffic (including DNS queries) will use the VPN, and your ISP will see only encrypted traffic with your provider's entry node. That's so even if you specify different DNS servers locally. That is, "route everything through VPN" and "use this DNS server" are independent.

24. marktor

I thought they were located in The Republic of Seychelles? see here: http://en.kryptotel.net/whoweare.html I believe that is near UAE. As for a bit about UAE internet polices see this: UAE internet policies put under the microscope

Also here are a few questions I asked Kryptotel. If anyone has any comment on their responses let me know.

I noticed when connected to there VPN depending on the exit node it shows a different name address on ipchicken.com
    For example one node shows: kryptotel.nine.ch
    Does that mean that they have basiclly outsourced the hardware to http:\\nine.ch

Dont know if this is a good thing?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  25. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

marktor I would not be using this VPN until I can get some straight answers from them...

I contacted them, then I get no reply back after several days, so I replied again and the reply was some excuse about the email going into the SPAM filter.

Well you're a big company I say to myself, so there's no excuse for that and this sets off one red flag in my mind.

Now I get a reply from a Leone Torrealta using a Gmail account, oh this is really great for this big company that has all this IT professionalism and research and investment going on and you are replying to me with a Gmail account and not through you own email account, well that's another red flag.

Now I sent an email asking these questions and said I know there's a few so I'm not in a rush for a reply;

-------------------------------------------------------------

1. I don't run Windows, so do you offer the files for OpenVPN?

2. If you have the files, do you offer the ca.crt, client.crt, private.key and client.config?

Technical questions;

1. Where are your servers physically located and do you own the hardware, or are you just using a Hosting company to run OpenVPN from?

2. How are servers protected - Physical protection, Electronic protection, Security designs?

3. Are the servers tamper evident and are they notified of all login attempts?

4. How are the encryption keys protected and what OS are you running the servers on? Updated how often? Defense in depth? Military, ISO, or other security specifications or best-practices?

5. Do you have key exchange?

6. Is the communication protected by perfect forward secrecy?

7. From whom can the VPN provider protect against?

8. Are you running your network on VPS/cloud servers?

9. What makes your vpn security better than others?

10. Can you protect against government surveillance?

11. How often do you switch encryption keys on the stream?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Now I get a reply back from Leone answering a few of the questions and telling me others are CLASSIFIED!

Ok, not telling someone the OS you are using is not classified information, nor is wanting to know if you are using the Cloud for the VPN, this clearly shows someone with either no experience or trying to avoid the question, basically saying it's all classified to make themselves look bigger then what they are.

This person also never told me if they own their hardware, or if they're using hosting companies, but the fact you didn't answer the question is a big red flag in my mind, because when you talk so big about your company then you better own your hardware and not replying makes me think you don't and you just host...

Now the propaganda sales pitch reply; By the way I told them I'm an It Tech and this is how they reply to a techician, nothing but a sales pitch! :thumbd:

9. What makes your vpn security better than others?
    Your privacy is our mission!

Then here is the question that showed me this person or company doesn't know what they are doing;

6. Is the communication protected by perfect forward secrecy?
    If you are referring to Vpn, there is not PFS in openvpn.

Sorry folks OpenVPN has Perfect Forward Secrecy;

http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-s...wn-security-vulnerabilities-with-openvpn.html

Then I reply back to Leone Torrealta one more time and WOW what a surprsing reply, READ BELOW:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Das,
    under our procedures,when a single customer ask so many information classified and push to have them must be considered as "social engineering attack". To be more clear, no one single information can be dangerous, but more informations together could be used to produce an attack, for that reason many innocent information are classified.
    Sorry but I cannot answer you, have a nice day.
    Kind Regards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well let me say with a BIG LMAO, Social Engineering Attacks, Classified information and then some one telling me OpenVPN doesn't have Perfect Forward Secrecy.

So after all I've said here, then go and honestly LOOK at and READ their Compay Profile;

http://en.kryptotel.net/whoweare.html

It's just a bunch of nonsense and why I can say this and I know it is because when you talk about how big and impressive your company is and then show the improper usage of the English language on that page, improper sentencing and paragraphs, it's all a bunch of nonsense for such a big invested company...

After all how could you have such big experts and financial investors and all the research going on they talk about and then you can't even write a proper page?

So STAY AWAY from this VPN until we can get some smart, simple replies to simple questions any VPN should give to a customer that wants to ask them, it is after all your right and the smart technical company like this should be able to answer, not make lame excuses about classified information and attacks... o_O

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.