"anonymizer" services

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by licketykitten, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. licketykitten

licketykitten Registered Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong place...

I'm wondering if any of you use one of those anonymous surfing services like www.anonymizer.com or idzap or what-have-you... are any of them "worth it"?

I suppose more specifically i am asking... do any of you worry about your IP address being revealed to heavens-knows-who, for example in the header when you send an email, or when you use peer-to-peer chat programs? And if so, what do you do to keep it private? One of those services, some sort of software, or...? (keep in mind that this gal is not really up on the tech lingo, so the simpler the solution the better! ;) )

Thanks for any input you choose to offer.

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Kat [call you Kat for short ok! :) ]

I have tried a couple, but they just slowed down surfing a fair bit for ME as I am on 56k DU :(

So depending on your connection that would be a consideration to take into account first.

I could not answer any further on their value, but do make sure you have taken all other security precautions.

Anti-Virus; Firewall; Some form of Spyware removal; and really should also have a dedicated Anti-Trojan program.

there are a lot of free stuff out there and I have posted several programs to help [IF you need them] here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=5970;start=30

As for the anonymous surfing, someone else may be able to help you further on that track.

Cheers Kat.
    TAS

3. snowy

snowy Guest

LK

this may be worth your reading..Anom services..some:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=5940

your question in a general one.....what one person does another person may not. So really its what you personally consider as whats best suits your situation/needs.
    from the moment you connect you are being tracked...beginning with your isp and moving on the others...its a much larger issue than just e mail....chat,, etc........your own computer keeps track of your behavior by the records it keeps.......many of which you never see by normal means
    often people will say; "well, I have nothing to hide".......but perhaps its not what a person does or does not have to hide as much as it is a right to be free from invasion......
    so depending on the goal you are seeking...depends what preventive measures are taken....use of encryption....(even for e mail) so on and so forth........
    feel free to ask questions but remember that no one knows your needs better than yourself

4. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Without a proxy, your IP address is revealed to the world. Without anonymising, your privacy is less assured - your ISP can and probably does log every URL you look up and the email address of everyone you contact.

Remember that no anonymiser can safeguard your security or privacy if you leave your name and addresses at a website you visit or in any email you send.

HTH

5. I don't know if IEClean does this but I have it set up to "Alias" for Website.. If anyone knows, does this mean I'm anonymous o_O

6. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

SS,
    I don't think that helps you be anonymous on line.
    Go here to find out . If your real IP shows up ...well your not anonymous !

http://network-tools.com/
    or "Snoop Test" here
    http://www.anonymizer.com/

regards,
    bill ;)

7. Then what the heck does "Alias" mean for IEClean? I guess I'll email Nancy and Kevin tommorow.. (Time to go nighty night, now :eek:)

8. licketykitten

licketykitten Registered Member

Tassie you can call me (most) anything you like! :D

Snowy thanks a lot for the link... it put me on the right track. I am now officially a subscriber of Megaproxy and test emails send via a yahoo e-addy show that it does indeed prevent my 'real' IP from showing up in the email header.

I couldn't seem to get it to work with hotmail.com or mail.com though. And even with Yahoo, at first it wouldn't work, until i disabled their "new improved Java format!"... even though i had java enabled on my late-model Netscape browser, at first all i got were errors saying i had to enable it. grr! Anyhow, thanks a million.

I was confused by some things written under that linked thread though... someone had written they like to use anonymous proxy servers located in different countries... sounds like a good idea, but how do you find them and how do you set up.... ah well... as an amateur i guess Megaproxy will do the trick for now.

9. snowy

snowy Guest

LK

you are most welcome....as you may notice everyone here is always willing to offer friendly help.....
    my state of mind is one of always being in "learning mode"........so never feel that you are alone in that never ending search for answers........
    in regards to your question about use of proxies located in other countries........thats irrelevent.....if the proxy is working correctly it does not matter where its located....it will still hide your location.....an thats whats important
    later perhaps I will post more on this subject..right now I need to get some food..

Snowy The Snowman

10. snowy

snowy Guest

Checkout

Well whatca say....how you doing...good to see you
    sure hope that all is well with you checkee......have missed your posting as well as the postings of a few others who don't come around as often......

11. snowy

snowy Guest

Recently I have noticed some confusion as to what a proxy is.....can do and can't do......there are many here at the forum who are extremely good in the area of proxies.....an such as discussion should be referred to them............right now I am not feeling so well so wont enter into such a discussion
    I will however caution.........don't blindly trust any service.......

12. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Good to see you again, Snowman. I hope your health has improved.

Just to clear things up,

A proxy is...

Think of the Internet as a Post Office just down the road. You address small packets to various people and they send you some. (Learn to love the taste of Spam(tm) by the way.) Often you have to queue because the Post Office clerk is busy or else he goes to lunch just as you arrive at the counter.

You suspect that the clerk is really Sylvester Sneakly in disguise because you think you can hear the click of a camera every time you go to the Post Office, and you believe he's photocopying the names and addresses (including return addresses) of every packet you send or receive. There's a sign on the wall which says he will. (Note: some privacy group put the sign there, not the clerk. But he's too dim to notice.)

Idea! Get a friend to go to the Post Office for you. He'll be monitored and spied upon, not you!

Which is what's known as a remote proxy. And that's all a remote proxy does, apart from some optional filtering. (Note that a local proxy is useless in this regard - it's no more than going to the Post Office yourself but with a heavy coat on.)

Question:
    • Does your friend know that he's supposed to pretend he's you? If he doesn't then he can't make you anonymous
    • Can you really trust your friend? At least one anonymising service was/is funded by the CIA

:)

Edited for the usual heavy typo crop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.