Anonimity needed... Getting Hammered.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Lost_Prophet, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lost_Prophet

Lost_Prophet Registered Member

What software or hardware can I install to hide/falsify my IP address?

I earned this current headache, but I want to learn how to avoid broadcasting my IP address in the future.

I discovered Kaazaa file-sharing program and uninstalled all the spyware and advertising.  Now, I have noticed that my IP gets hammered from a variety of IPs, some much more often than others.   I'm averaging 2-5 blocks a second.  

I can only assume that my IP address was pulled by Kazzaa users who are interested in such things,  since I didn't have this problem prior to messing with file-sharing software.

My ISP will cycle my IP, I have a dynamic IP through my cable service, but it cycles once a week... so I know the problem will go away, until I use kazzaa again with my new IP.

This has affected my internet performance and made it impossible to play a particular online game I enjoy, Asheron's Call.

So, I ask... What software or hardware can I install to hide/falsify my IP address, so I'm not always broadcasting it?

I do have a router, Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL 4 port router with built in firewall.

If there is a free solution, even better.  :)

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi Lost Prophet,

For anonynimity, I use a proxy service. The proxy hides your IP and its IP is sent out as being yours. The one I use is JAP( http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html ).  There are other free services out there such as The Cloak ( http://www-new.the-cloak.com/anonymous-surfing-home.html ) and The Anonymizer ( http://www.anonymizer.com/ ).  I am sure there are others also.

From the ones that I have tried, I like JAP the best.

HTH.

Regards,
    Kent

3. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

And by the way, to my knowledge you cannot totally hide your IP address as this is how the packets on the internet find their way back to you.  If you totally hide it, you will get no response on the internet.  You have to go thru a proxy service.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
    Kent

4. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

You are entirely correct, Puff-m-d.

5. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

That's like giving the post office a wrong address !
    See how much mail you will get !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.