annoying animation in .htm manual

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I knew I hated htm guides for a reason! If I want to read a particular guide I have to look at an annoying animated sales pitch on every single page.

I am viewing the htm with Firefox, and I have adblock installed. What can be done about blocking whatever it is. It seems as though it is an animated gif.

I don't know why advertizers are so sure annoying people means sales. It has the opposite effect on me. Anyways, for now, I guess I will do a screen snapshot of each page, without even saving probably.

-HandsOff

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

The Proxomitron might do it.

3. HandsOff

I never thought of Proxomitron for htm, thanks, good suggestion!

The sweet irony here is that it is an instruction manual for graphics, but it turns out to not be so bad reading it from the snag-it clip board. Its slow reading, anyhow, and I can bring parts into the graphics host itself.

-HandsOff

4. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

There may be a menu option in Firefox to disable animated gifs; if not, find a line in about:config that says image.animation_mode and set the value to none. Then reload the page with the manual.

5. HandsOff

Excellent! I am changing some settings now, and it should not be long before I get to see the results.

- HandsOff

6. Meltdown

You may find that settings changed in about:config don't always stick. If so, try exiting Firefox, and in your Firefox profile folder find (or create) user.js and open it in a text editor. You can then insert configuration changes there, e.g. to block animations you would insert the following text:

user_pref("image.animation_mode", none);

When you reopen Firefox the changes should be in place. This method has the advantage that any changes can be undone by simply deleting the text lines. Alternatively, I think you can temporarily disable lines by inserting a # at the start. :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  7. HandsOff

Hi Meltdown, I am sure I am getting close, this is a little confusing, but interesting!

For instance there is a line to turn off blinking text (which is really just as bad as animation). For anyone interested it goes:

user_pref("browser.blink_allowed", false);

I'm sure I'm not the only one who will prefer that setting.

in the artical I am looking at, they use "//" (without the quotes) to convert a line into a disregarded by js comment. I do not know about #, it may work too.

anyway...thanks alot for pointing the way to this. I know a lot of people who should know this, but do not!

-HandsOff

8. Meltdown

Yep, it's interesting to play around with. Looking at my own user.js, I see that both / and # can be used.

You can also change the appearance of webpages by creating a userContent.css file in the 'chrome' subfolder of your profile. This isn't something I've experimented with much, I use Proxomitron for that, but it looks like you can get something approaching the degree of control you get with Proxo. This is the default one that comes with K-Meleon:

The adblocking code on that link works pretty well, but I found it sometimes blocked legitimate images. The big difference between this and a web filter is that with a web filter the unwanted content isn't downloaded from the server, while with userContent.css it's downloaded but not displayed.

Actually, there are probably extensions for Firefox to do all this, but where's the fun in that? :D

9. HandsOff

Yes, this looks quite a bit more configurable than I had thought. I do not always grok new terminology rite away though.

I mean...Chromeo_O what has chrome got to do with browsing? It sounds more like a customized display, like XP's "Silver"---which I happen to use, btw.

Another thing is, really, could this be worded a little more clearly?:

(from your post)

"
    /*
    * THIS FILE CAN BE USED TO APPLY A STYLE TO ALL WEB PAGES YOU VIEW.
    * RULES WITHOUT !IMPORTANT ARE OVERRULED BY AUTHOR RULES IF THE
    * AUTHOR SETS ANY. RULES WITH !IMPORTANT OVERRULE AUTHOR RULES.
    * TO APPLY A STYLE, REMOVE THE BACKSLASHES AND ASTERISKS FROM THE
    * CODES BELOW THEIR TITLES.
    */
    "

I think I understand, but it just doesn't seem to flow...

On the comment markers, I think the instructions are abiguous enough that someone could read them and remove the comment delimiters from around the non-code section headings. what happens then? sentence ignored, or script stopped, or script ignored? Well, you can bet I will do wrong before I finally get it right.

I'm starting to like this more than the UI menu's because somehow I keep forgetting where the hide the settings for this and that

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.