ANNOUNCE: AGNIS for AdShield Block Lists

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by eburger68, Apr 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

Hi All:

You read that right. The AGNIS block lists have now been ported for use with AdShield 1.2 and AdShield 3.0 beta. These block lists were originally created for AtGuard and Norton Internet Security. They have been adapted for use with Norton Personal Firewall 2003 and Agnitum Outpost. In their latest incarnation, they can now be used with AdShield. You can download AGNIS for AdShield here:

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm#AdShield

As with the other versions of AGNIS, there is a "full" list and a "lite" list. The "full" list adds about 5000 entries to your block list. The "lite" list adds about 2100. Both the "full" and "lite" lists come in plain text (.TXT) and AdShield binary (.ABL) formats.

The ReadMe.txt included with AGNIS for AdShield contains complete instructions for using the AGNIS for AdShield lists. You can view that ReadMe.txt online here:

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/res/agnis-as.txt

This version of AGNIS for AdShield is based on the April 21 version of the AGNIS for Outpost lists. AGNIS for AdShield will be updated whenever the other AGNIS lists are updated.

If you have any questions about AGNIS for AdShield, please don't hesitate to ask.

All the best,

Eric L. Howes
    eburger68@myrealbox.com

2. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

Thanks Eric :)

This is another great service that you do

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Eric - Concerning people already using IE-SPYAD - would they have any use/need for the AGNIS f/ AdShield Blocklist? (Assuming they're using AdShield, of course).

Wouldn't they already be covered? Pete

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Great Eric !

(I've done that myself a few times in the past ;) :
    I took for example AGNIS Lite, opened it in a text-editor, and did some find-replace actions; the result: a plain list of the entries that could be merged into the AdShield list. But I'm happy that there is now an AdShield version; thanks !!!).

5. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

Pete:

IE-SPYAD and AdShield target different things for the most part -- or at least target them in different ways.

IE-SPYAD doesn't block banner ads (for the most part); AdShield does.

By contrast, IE-SPYAD does give you protection against cookies, ActiveX controls, JavaScript, and Java applets from its list of Restricted sites. AdShield doesn't target any of those things, with the exception of JavaScript driven pop-ups.

One more difference b/wn IE-SPYAD and AGNIS for AdShield: b/c it's based on the AGNIS lists, AGNIS for AdShield incorporates URL fragments (e.g., \ads01. and such); IE-SPYAD doesn't (you can't use such things in the Restricted sites zone).

So, yes, there would be some benefit to using both.

Best,

Eric L. Howes

6. The Snowman

The Snowman Guest

Eric

Would have discussed by e mail but don't use it...my apology if this posting is incorrect
    Replaced my block list with the one you so kindly provided....very nice..thank you.
    Have noticed something that led to this post. The (.com) listings...FE: lets say: (hello.com)...those listing have no period in front of "hello".....FE: ( .hello.com) or just plain (.hello.).......

Regards

The Snowman

7. The Snowman

The Snowman Guest

Eric

Have decided to do alittle editing an insert the period in front of those (coms) otherwise how would (ads.hello.com) be blocked........if I am in-correct then certainly please correct me....would be appreciated. Thank You

Snowman

8. The Snowman

The Snowman Guest

Eric

consider me confused.....an please be patient if you will

ok, was about to edit an noticed listings such as:

(ads.com.com) (ads.lycos.com)

now, referring to my previous posts....this is what I am thinking is missing from those other (com) listings....also, of course placing the period like this: (.lycos.com) would block that website.......but what does (lycos.com) block ?? no period in front of (lycos)

again..your patientence appreciated...thank you

regards
    snowy

9. The Snowman

The Snowman Guest

Been testing:

by typing (lycos.com) in the address bar...clicking go...I am taken to the (lycos) website.......BUT....should'nt the block list have prevented me from reaching that website ??
    Eric am I missing something hereo_O

10. The Snowman

The Snowman Guest

Eric

My sincere apology.....further tesing reveals that the period in front is not needed.....the sites in your list were blocked......the (lycos) example was a mistake on my part....the ads at that site is what the listing blocks..
    Should have known that a person like yourself was on top of all this but honesty thought that perhaps there were typos.........
    when you read this....know that your work is much appreciated.

Snowman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.