ANN: AJC Active Backup v2.5 - unlimited undo for your files

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Andrew Cutforth, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Andrew Cutforth

Andrew Cutforth Registered Member

We have now released AJC Active Backup v2.5 for Windows.

This gives you instant backup and unlimited undo for your files so you can get back to any version. A must if you are doing any serious work on your PC. Protects you from mistakes, file corruption and lets you see a complete history for each file with built in diff comparison.

This version has the following changes:

+ An extension for Visual Studio 2017 is now provided.
    + There is now a pin icon in the top right hand corner of the screen to make the application stay on top.

Read more here:
    http://www.ajcsoft.com/active-backup.htm

AJC Active Backup v1 users can get 30% discount off the price of v2 by contacting support.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

This is one of my must have apps. I've been using it for a long time, and it has rescued me on several occasions. Also heck of a tool for training.

3. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

What exactly does this mean?

4. Andrew Cutforth

Every time a file is changed it is added to the archive so if you later discover a file has been corrupted you can undo it from the archive and you are always going to have your last edit in there to go back to. So even if you are working with a version control system Active Backup can be used with it to give you up to the minute protection.

You may think the archives will get very large but this is not usually the case because the archives are compressed and only the changes are stored each time.

Also you may think this will make a lot of file revisions but this is also not the case because the auto purge reduces them down. e.g. If you make 100 edits to the file today it will store a revision for each of the 100 edits but if the archive is updated after 7 days it will reduce those down to one per day (according to the user defined auto purge settings). You can use the built in diff to compare any of those revisions and you can even use the editable diff to just restore selections of text edits rather than the whole revision. If there are special revisions you do not want purging you can give them descriptions and they will be preserved.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

This is my main concern. Suppose I have a new file and I save it anywhere in a sub-folder and I don't touch it again, no modifications, nothing. Then after few days, weeks or months, whatever, without notice my HDD suddenly corrupts the file due to a filesystem error or a bad/s sector/s on the surface. Then, I assume Active Backup will backup the bad one. How to know when this exact moment occurs. Please don't tell me I have to read the log at the end of everyday.

Or how to monitor file integrity? How a program can alert the user about file corruption and distinguish between corruption and modification.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Mister X

I've have been using this software for at least 6 years. I have never seen a single issue with corruption. IT SIMPLY WORKS!!!

7. Andrew Cutforth

Well if the hard disk gets damaged somehow then the file would not be backed up because Windows would not generate a change notification so the archive would still have the original file in it. If a process corrupts the file then it would get backed up into the archive but that is still not a problem because the archive still contains the original version of the file too.

Also there is a tool that you can run in Active Backup that checks the integrity of the archive files to make sure every version is still able to be extracted.

Many people use AJC Active Backup to protect them while they are working and also combine this with AJC Sync to sync files off to back them up to other locations (network, drives, FTP, cloud etc).

8. guest

guest Guest

You yourself will find out if the file is corrupt, not the program.
    If you doubleclick on a corrupted file, it cannot be opened and in this case you simply rollback to a previous version.

Furthermore, if a bad sector occurs, it happens at a lower level and the filesystem/OS "won't see or notice it".
    This also means on a higher level, this file "wasn't modified" and the file details hasn't changed, and this program doesn't make a backup of this (now corrupted) file.

While writing this post it was also mentioned in #7 :)

9. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

This:
    That's the part I already knew and the key to understand how a corrupt file won't get backed up: the filesystem/OS "won't see or notice it".

Dang! Sometimes my neuron not works efficiently anymore :eek: :gack: :p

@mood @Andrew Cutforth Thanks a lot.

10. guest

guest Guest

11. Andrew Cutforth

v2.6 is now just released with a plugin for Notepad++

If you would like plugins for other environments then let me know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.