And What About Windows XP Service Pack 3?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wilbertnl, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Well all my major office programs ran, but most of the utilities I use to tie everything together didn't. Also I do stuff in the financial markets and none of that software ran at all.

2. DonMartin

DonMartin Registered Member

Well something to look forward about? Three years between each release? What an inprovement!
    Before M$ came into business, who had ever asked for a new os? I've been in the business since 1979. And before MS. we had a first relaese of an operating system and after some years we had an answer of the demands from the users.
    Take for example Digital Equipments operating systens for the well known series PDP computers (PDP 11-05 to 11-83) all runing with the same OS (RXM 11, and finally RXM11+)) Notice, only 2 OS for a period of more than 20 years!!! And only just a minor improvements in the 2:nd version!
    But when MS came in we have to use a new os every two or three year.
    You rememder DOS 1, 2, 3, (4 nobody wants to remember) 5, 6 and after that all windows versions.
    Why? Have we asked for it? Is the existing so bad that it has to be compleatly replaced?
    I'm not saying that I would prefere some version of DOS, but do we really need 5 versions of Vista?
    Have you ever thought what the OS is for? It is something that helps you to run applications on your compurer and to help you to arrange your files on your disks. Nothing more!
    But a new OS every 2 or 3 year means a lot of bucks to M$. (And we all are fooled (?))

/Don

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

And then I notice publications about how to disable features of the latest release, because they are annoying... :eek:

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

MS is just pushing the consumers with a stick due to its monopoly. That,s really bad!

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yes, I am well aware that the parts are refurb. But the exchanged computer was supposed to be a brand new one...but with Dell......who knows. I was told to go to Dell's site and configure what I wanted on the XPS 600 because Dell got tired of me sending back XPS's with a PentiumD. I didn't get 2 1GB sticks of RAM (like I had on the 8300) but did get 2GB..Dell sent 4 500MB sticks so I have no free slots. I configured it close to the 8300 that was being replaced and supposedly it is new computer. Of course, all failed parts after 30 days are replaced with refurb parts.

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Why didn't she buy from Lenovo on line? They have a line of computers with XP. I can't get their website to work properly though in Fx or IE so I can't configure one. (I get an error when I click on customize).

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=AD5337DFFB024F65A77E639B7AF4B25A

7. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I only wish I knew why she did not shop around a little more. She lives in a pretty rural setting so travel time may have played into the decision. I have told her about shopping on-line but not to use her PC. She was welcome to come over anytime to use mine or the Mrs. She had told me when she was ready to buy she wanted my assistance......next thing I know I get a phone call to stop by and set up her new PC.......:doubt:

Just tried your link with FF 2.0.0.3 No error. But when I click customize I only get a new tab with the same content. In my case probably a script error since I do run NoScript and did not try "temporary allow" to see if that solved it.

8. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

:eek: I for one am not.......take note of my signature. Still running 2k on my tower. :D

9. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

If I look at the tread title I am totally lost about all the answers :eek:

Gerard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.